4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > The Positive Forum!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Yee Haw!! They changed our Holiday Schedule!!!

Okay, I've been on here complaining about our holiday schedule. The only holiday I had off this month was Christmas Day. With one vacation day left, I had to decide if I should take Dec. 24 or 26th off. I had about decided to take the 24th as my vacation day and on the 26th "make sales calls" in my home town. Others do it, and my management has encouraged me to do it, even though it goes against my ethics. I hated to burn a vacation day on the 26th because there is a good chance, or more a probability, that our branches would all decide to start closing at 10 a.m. that day. It's happened to me before on a Good Friday.

Well, not to ramble on too much, this morning, they came out with a revised Holiday Schedule. We now have Dec. 26 off, and 1/2 day on the 24th, so I'm taking 1/2 vacation day on the 24th and I will have 5 days off in a row!!!!!! I was soooo excited when the e-mail came through with the good news. I'll have 1/2 day left to take maybe one afternoon before Christmas to finish up my shopping. I'll be "on call" over the Christmas holiday this year, but with the poor economy and my customers not working any overtime, I don't expect to get any calls.

They are also giving us 1/2 day on New Year's Eve. Finally they have come to their senses!!!! Not much work would have been done those days anyway!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

That's great news!!! I am so fortunate to have a "school" schedule where we have lots of days off for many holidays. It really helps. I'm so glad that your company came to their senses. Happy employees makes a happy business!!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I'm with you Gayle!! We only have school 1/2 day Friday the 19th and don't go back until the the 6th of January. Then it won't be long until May...out for the summer!!!!...LOLOL
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Marilyn

I can't imagine having that much time off!! I might actually be able to get things organized, clean out some closets and have the whole house all clean at one time, get into the attic and find out what in the world is in all those boxes. At this point, I'll have to defer that dream until retirement. I've been working this type schedule since I graduated from college in '78. You'd think I'd be resigned to it by now.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's great, Marilyn!! It's nice to work for a company that realizes that the holidays are nice to spend with family!! I'm sure that you'll really enjoy that time off!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
2tiredmom

Marilyn enjoy your time off. I'm with you. We only get the 25th and 26th off.
I work for scrooge. LOL. But I have vacation time too. So I will be off 5 days also.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Ever since Ricky was born, I have always taken at least one vacation week or at least 2-3 days at Christmas time. I so enjoyed it when he was little and we had the time to make cookies and wrap presents together.

Now that he's older, sometimes he has to work. I think that even if I were to change jobs, I would still want Christmas week off, just to cut down on the stress of the season.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 AM   #8
Marilyn

Having time off at Christmas is such a blessing when you can. When the girls were small, I always had to work. The group I worked with had older people in it with more seniority than I had. One man took off from Thanksgiving to New Years every year and the other took off the last two weeks of December and only 2 could be off at a time. They would not even let me take off one day to go see the girls in their Christmas program at school, so one year, I took an extended lunch, left early and drove the 50 miles round trip to see their 11 a.m. program instead of taking my 30 minute lunch as scheduled. Everyone knew what I had done, but no one said a word to me.

Finally when one of the guys retired, I had enough seniority and took 2 weeks off one Christmas. One of the women I worked with got all upset and behind my back was telling everyone that I was intentionally blocking her from being able to go see her parents in Arkansas for Christmas. I confronted her and told her that if she had come to me to discuss the situation we could have worked something out, but since she chose to do what she did and get ugly behind my back, I was going to take both weeks and enjoy them with my girls. They were about 5 and 6 at the time, and we had a really great time together.

People can be so selfish!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
Tiramisu

I always save enough days to be off at the end of the year. So, this year, I'm out from the 19th through the 4th. That's two work weeks, 16 days (counting weekends and holidays), but only 7 vacation days. I feel a little bad after being out so much this year, but I'll get over it.