4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 03-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gina, try elevating the head of your bed on blocks, 6 or 8 inches. I know you said you are sleeping on two pillows, but you might not be staying on the pillows. If the head of the bed is up, you for sure will be elevated. That usually helps a lot!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #17
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Gayle, thank you for being a part of our group. I appreciate so much your expert advice.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

I put BIG books on top of the frame under the box springs to keep my face from swelling because I have edema, thought it would stop my husband from snoring but it didn't work for him.
I hope you get some relief soon.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Gina, try elevating the head of your bed on blocks, 6 or 8 inches. I know you said you are sleeping on two pillows, but you might not be staying on the pillows. If the head of the bed is up, you for sure will be elevated. That usually helps a lot!

Gayle thanks for the info, I will try to elevate my mattress. I had to stop the Nexium it was giving me bad gas and diarehha.. He changed it to prevacid, my nephew has bad acid reflux at nighttime to he told me its best to take at night. So I am going to try it tonight. I hope this one works.. keeping fingers crossed...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #20
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Gayle thanks for the info, I will try to elevate my mattress. I had to stop the Nexium it was giving me bad gas and diarehha.. He changed it to prevacid, my nephew has bad acid reflux at nighttime to he told me its best to take at night. So I am going to try it tonight. I hope this one works.. keeping fingers crossed...
Fingers are crossed!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

Gina I am sorry the Nexium didn't work for you. I am sure you will find something that will work. I had acid reflux so bad I had to sit up to sleep a lot of the time. I choked almost every time I ate and felt like my throat was closing up. This all started when Angela was a baby. I have had no problems at all since I started Nexium. I hope the Prevacid works this well for you!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:33 AM   #22
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I sure hope it helped you overnight. I'm praying this will work for you...let us know.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #23
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I sure hope it helped you overnight. I'm praying this will work for you...let us know.

Thanks Janet. My dr said to take 1/2 hr. before dinner, it will take a few days until I see results.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #24
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgivenmom5 View Post
Gina I am sorry the Nexium didn't work for you. I am sure you will find something that will work. I had acid reflux so bad I had to sit up to sleep a lot of the time. I choked almost every time I ate and felt like my throat was closing up. This all started when Angela was a baby. I have had no problems at all since I started Nexium. I hope the Prevacid works this well for you!
Deb that is a terrible feeling, I had it bad last night I had to sit up to fall asleep. I hope this pill works!!! So glad to hear that yours went away so there is hope. I never realized how bad acid reflux can make you feel.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #25
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

They make a foam rubber wedge which will keep you at a good angle. It helps to keep the acid from rising back up. That's why you are getting these symptoms. You also shouldn't wear tight clothing around your stomach, and there's a bunch of food you should avoid.

Actually, you want to do everything you can to keep the acid in the stomach, where it belongs. You also want to keep the levels of acid down. This is what the
meds
do, and foods that take a long time to digest raise the acid level. I don't remember the diet. I do remember veggies like broccoli are not good for you at night. Coffee and chocolate also can cause symptoms. I no longer get these symptoms from coffee or chocolate or tight clothing, and a lot of other foods. I think being on the
meds
for so long and watching my diet allows me to eat certain things.

I have been on
nexium
for years. I was on two other
meds
. One worked, then for some reason, I was switched to another which didn't work. Anyway, the
nexium
does it for me. There was a short time when I needed 2 every morning.

I don't know how many different
meds
are out now for GERD, but I'm sure you'll find the right one for you. I know you don't feel well, but it takes patience to find the right med and then for your system to settle down.

I hope it's quick!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #26
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I forgot to stop spell checking - that's why my post looks so weird.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #27
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Gina, I sure hope the medication starts taking effect soon.
So sorry you are so miserable.