4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Take deep breaths.....Relax......Relax......

I'm so mad!!! @#$%&*#@$% Volleyball coach!!!! My daughter's in tears and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

She's a senior and has worked hard to get to Varsity. We have 4 seniors going out (Most quit this year because last year the Varsity coach had most of the girls that didn't start sit on the bench ALMOST the whole year!!) and they are all pretty good players. Only one senior is starting. The rest of the starters are juniors and possibly one freshman that is a teacher's daughter (three others are teacher's kids too.) We had a scrimmage tonight and Jaci hardly even got to play. She's really upset because she's worked hard to get where she's at and she's a really good player. I'm upset but I can't talk to the coach (stinking "rules"). We saw this coming because of the way the players were treated last year, but we were really figuring that Jaci would be starting, not one of the girls on the bench. I'm so heartbroken for Jaci and really, really upset.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm so sorry Diana! Sometimes the "politics" of sports in a small school (or maybe any school - but my experience with HS sports is in a small school) sometimes really stinks. A coach has so much power and when he/she doesn't coach and play the team members fairly - it really stings!!! I can only imagine what it feels like to be a senior, to have worked hard, played for years, only to have your senior year spoiled by a coach acting unfairly.

I hope things work out and are better for Jaci!!! Good luck!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
paula1961

I am so sorry Diana, I can sooooo relate to this, it's all in who you know. Sad but true in most sports programs these days. Heck it's even like this in the elementary sports programs now. I am so glad my boys have graduated, they well two of them were so into sports. I used to get sooo mad too Give your wonderful daughter a big hug and tell her that you know she is "The Best". I wish I had more advice for ya, it's really hard. I hope she can keep a positive attitude. I know it breaks your heart for her!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Oh, Diana, this really smarts!! Especially when it's happening to one of ours. Hope things get better as the season goes forward. I heard it said once, what doesn't kill ya builds character.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I felt so sorry for Jaci last night. It takes a lot to make her cry but she was so upset over all of this. I've been with her every step of the way in volleyball, every game, everything that was connected with the game, so I can completely understand how she's feeling. Last night was just a scrimmage so Jaci's going to wait, play another game, and see how it goes. Then if she's still not happy then she'll have to talk to the coach because I can't talk to her until Jaci does (rules).

Jaci has been through a lot concerning school. Remember when she was a cheerleader and what all she went through? She finally quit the squad. By the time the school year was over we had a very apologetic athetic director. He finally saw the unfairness that was going on.

And now, we have this!!! I hope that today I can get cooled down. You can be unfair to me but when it comes to my kids it's another thing.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I know exactly how Jaci feels Diana, I was treated the same way in high school volleyball. I wasn't popular and my family wasn't good friends with the coach, but I was the best server on the team by far. My coach would sub me in to serve and then pull me back out. I never got to play the rest of the game. My mom was so upset when she travelled to other towns to watch us, because it wasn't worth her time to go and watch all the other girls play. It was a miserable year for me because I wasn't friends with any of the other girls on the team (my friends all tried out but got cut) and my parents wouldn't allow me to quit. So I decided not to play at all in my last year of high school.
I hope Jaci talks to her coach about it, because I was never brave enough to say anything and ended up not having fun the whole season!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Tiramisu

Can I come talk to the coach! Diana, my thoughts are with you and your baby that this will work out for the best.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
2tiredmom

Diana,
It's amazes me how much this goes on everywhere. I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your daughter. My son was a very good basketball player, back home he was always on the main team. Then we moved up north where we didn't know anyone and all he got to do was sit the bench. But he stuck it out and made it to every practice. Then when he graduated and the coaches came to his open house, I let them have it. Needless to say they didn't stay long.
Hope things get better.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tiredmom View Post
Diana,
It's amazes me how much this goes on everywhere. I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your daughter. My son was a very good basketball player, back home he was always on the main team. Then we moved up north where we didn't know anyone and all he got to do was sit the bench. But he stuck it out and made it to every practice. Then when he graduated and the coaches came to his open house, I let them have it. Needless to say they didn't stay long.
Hope things get better.
Good for you, Linda - coaches need to be given the riot act, when needed. Unfortunately, it can't be done during the season or when the child is involved with them - but afterward, look out. You go girl!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Diana...I feel so bad for Jaci. I hope she is able to talk to the coach and let her know her feelings. I just can't believe how this goes on everywhere.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:45 AM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I hope Jaci can get through this and do what she feels is best for her - whatever that outcome may be!