4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #2206
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Oh no. That's not what we want to hear, Gayle. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Gary. I hope the doctors can find something to help Gary out. We're all here for you........and as I said before......I'm only a phone call away!! If you need me I can be on a plane in a few hours!!! Or drive there in a day!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #2207
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Gayle I'm so sorry. I read this last night and didn't know how to respond. The other ladies have said everything I could have. I am so sorry you are both going through this.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #2208
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Gayle, I can be there in 6 hours. Like Diana, just say the word and I am on my way. I'm great at sitting at the hospital :/
Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #2209
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

You all are just so so sweet, I don't know what I'd do without you!

OK, here's what happening. And I want you all to know that both Gary and I felt much better today, I'm not sure why, but we did and we had a really good day together.

Gary's kidneys are not happy at all now, his kidney numbers are pretty bad. He's just above having to have dialysis, but thankfully not yet. They are going to put an aortic balloon pump in his heart tomorrow. This is sort of a test run for the ventricular assist device (which he has not yet decided if he wants or not). This balloon pump will assist his heart to pump and it will tell them whether or not the ventricular assist device will help him or not. He should feel much much better and be able to walk much more with the balloon pump. But it might not help him feel better at all. That is the test part. If the balloon pump doesnt make him feel better, the ventricular assist device probably won't either, so they won't even consider doing it anymore. It should also help his kidneys a lot since his cardiac output will be much better. They can only leave the balloon pump in a few days, but that may be enough to get his kidneys in better shape, hopefully. If his kidneys don't get better, then he can't have the ventricular assist device. The balloon pump is just a test of how he responds, so they will know whether or not he is a candidate for the ventricular assist device.

The procedure is an introduction of a catheter into his heart - just like he had last week. It is not surgery so he will feel find after the procedure. He will have to be in ICU simply because the nurses there know how to run the balloon pump. Of course there are risks, but no major risks and he should be fine. But we all know anytime they do anything inside the body, bad things can happen, but I don't think anything will happen tomorrow.

I probably won't get to sit with him all day for the next few days since he will be in ICU and they have set visiting times. That will be the hard part, not being able to sit and play cards with him all day.

Betsi, his ejection fraction on echo cardiogram is 20-25% (60% is normal). The medicine they are giving him is Dobutamine.

Once again Ladies, you all are so very very dear to me and I know you would hop in the car or on plane to be with me. I might need you later, but right now I'm OK. Just knowing you are with me in spirit is so so so very comforting.

Last edited by gja1000; 05-17-2012 at 04:38 PM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #2210
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Here's a big hug, Gayle!!

Today is our last day of school. Karlie was so excited because she's having a field day.....where they go play at a park.....and she got to take a sack lunch!!! I'm ready for school to be out but not sure that I want Dae Lynn and Karlie around all the time. Dae Lynn won't have a job except for cleaning the church which only takes a few hours a week. She's been in a bad mood so much lately that I'm tired of it. Plus she's not cleaning up after herself or the kids. If it keeps up I'll have to say something. It will be nice to just go to town without having to take Dean though. I tend to stay home more because of him and his naps so I'll have more freedom!! Yay!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!

Last edited by DianaB; 05-18-2012 at 08:34 AM.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #2211
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

They just took Gary to the cath lab for the balloon pump. He feels better today, but his weight is up so he will start getting more short of breath. However if the balloon pump does its job, he should be able to get some of that fluid off. His kidney numbers still look terrible so they are really worried about that. One day at a time, one day at a time.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #2212
DIANE W

Gayle... I am popping on here everyday to read your updates on poor Gary, he must be so fed up with hospitals and all.

I just wanted you to know i am thinking of you and praying all goes well, with Gary's procedure and everything else too.

You are doing a great job, keep strong.

Lots of love to you both.

Diane.

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #2213
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Praying all goes well with the ballooon pump. I hate being so far away, wish I could be there with you to hold your hand and give hugs. I'll keep checking for updates Gayle....love you!!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #2214
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Gayle, that is not good news! I am so sorry you and Gary had to be told that. You are both so much in love, and that will get you through. I wish you didn't have to go through this though.

My heart is heavy for you, but I will keep you both in my heart and in my prayers. I am also just a phone call away.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #2215
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary is out of the cath lab and in ICU. He is perfectly fine, no problems. He has pink cheeks now, I don't know if that is due to the pump or some medicine. He's in great spirits, but I know he's going to get really tired of the bed this weekend. They had to go in through the groin, so he'll have to be in bed flat on his back till at least Monday. They may move the balloon pump to go in through his shoulder then, so he can get up and around. They were going to wait till Monday so they could put it in through his shoulder, but they were afraid they'd lose his kidneys if they didn't go ahead and do it today.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #2216
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

WORK balloon pump, WORK!!! Gayle, just take an hour or even a minute at a time if you need to. Tell Gary we all love him, too!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #2217
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Ohhh, it's gonna be a long weekend! Mike has had soooo many heart cath's and several times the sheath has been left in for a while in case they had to go back in. It's so hard to be flat in bed for any length of time. Praying for increased EF and improved kidneys for Gary!! Love y'all!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #2218
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Betsy, you know what he's going through. He's just going to be miserable, BUT, his heart numbers all look better already. Howver his kidneys do not look better yet. They did say they take much more time to improve. He had TWO nurses after he came back from the cath lab into ICU, so I feel very sure he is well cared for.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #2219
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Will they let you stay in there with him other than just the visiting hours? Maybe they will by tomorrow. Glad his heart function is improving some. That's bound to help his kidneys.

Mike and I have been dealing with his health issues for 19 years, since he had his first MI. Medicine has improved by leaps and bounds since then, and I'm praying that some of these wonders can help Gary. Sleep when you can, Gayle, and don't forget to eat something. Love you!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #2220
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks so much Betsi. They ask that you not come in between 6:30-8:00 AM and PM. They also ask that you let the patient sleep between 10:00PM - 8:00AM. I came home about 7:30 tonight. I only live about 20 mins from the hospital and I cannot sleep in a chair so I will get absolutely worn out if I don't get some good sleep. I do hate to leave him, but I know he is being watched very closely.