4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Polls

View Poll Results: When you enter a house for the first time, what's the first thing you notice?
the colors 0 0%
how clean or dirty it is 14 63.64%
how it smells 7 31.82%
how light or dark it is 1 4.55%
the decorating style 5 22.73%
other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra Amaya
I think the reason its smells for me is because I walked into a hose once that smelled of dog urine so badly that it made me sick. I use tons of scented cleaners (my fave is Mr. Clean citrus scent), lots of candles, air fresheners, carpet deodorizers. Even though we don't have pets I'm afriad of my house smelling bad.

I like to use this thick liquid called "brown soap" to clean the floors, its a very old product, but has like a soft/clean scent to it.
Once a week i "dettol" the place.
I have those scented candles all over the place, and the 3 in 1 plug in freshners.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
I like to use this thick liquid called "brown soap" to clean the floors, its a very old product, but has like a soft/clean scent to it.
Once a week i "dettol" the place.
I have those scented candles all over the place, and the 3 in 1 plug in freshners.
My favorites are candles (I LOVE THEM) and the glade scent machine with the scent stories discs. Traci got it for me for Christmas or Anniversary one year and it makes your whole house smell GREAT! I also love burning oil in simmer pots. *sighs* It's the simple things in life that make me happy.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #18
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles
My favorites are candles (I LOVE THEM) and the glade scent machine with the scent stories discs. Traci got it for me for Christmas or Anniversary one year and it makes your whole house smell GREAT! I also love burning oil in simmer pots. *sighs* It's the simple things in life that make me happy.

Oh i definatly agree with you Angie, its the simple things in life!! I once made a thread on here about home made scent with recipes.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
Oh i definatly agree with you Angie, its the simple things in life!! I once made a thread on here about home made scent with recipes.
Ohhh, I'll have to look that up!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #20
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra Amaya
I had a hard time choosing between those two. I picked the smell thinking of either bad smells or a very good smell...I love candles

Okay girls, I see a lot of houses on a daily base, being that I am a realtor. I must say cleaniness is first, and then smell.<actually they tie> I love candles but I have to tell you girls, that if a house smells really bad because of lack of cleaning, all the candles will do is cover it ,sometimes clashing with the scent.. Trust me I have sat many of open houses with this happening.. and my allergies kick in...lol
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #21
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina
Okay girls, I see a lot of houses on a daily base, being that I am a realtor. I must say cleaniness is first, and then smell.<actually they tie> I love candles but I have to tell you girls, that if a house smells really bad because of lack of cleaning, all the candles will do is cover it ,sometimes clashing with the scent.. Trust me I have sat many of open houses with this happening.. and my allergies kick in...lol

YUK!!!! The smell of an unclean house, mixed with candle scent has to smell nasty I can imagine thats got to clash ewwwwww
Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #22
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina
oh I didn't me candles could cover it up. I was saying candles are an example of on of the really good smells I would notice.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #23
cindy0721

Send a message via Yahoo to cindy0721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermom
Id have to say how clean or dirty it is...But if it smells then that would be my first notice.
ditto.... I am the same way...
Old 03-21-2007, 02:25 AM   #24
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I usually notice smells first....sometimes you can smell it before you even walk in. I usually don't look at their housekeeping unless it's really a horrible site, I'm looking more at the decorating style...always want new ideas.

I need a new sweeper, this one is three years old. I'm thinking of a Dyson.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #25
Lissa

My mum would laugh, but I've become a little bit of a neat freak, so cleanliness is a big deal for me. I remember the first time I went to my boyfriend's house (he's 19, and lives with his family cause it's better than paying rent, I'm only 20, there's only a 10 month age gap) I just about fell over. They're not very tidy people, it's not like they leave plates of food everywhere, the place smells fine, there just isn't much of a clear surface anywhere, and their dog likes to play with laundry so his sister's underwear is sometimes in the middle of the living room. My boyfriend's room was a total wreck, but he's started to clean it up, maybe I'm being a good influence on him I know I can't change him, I've accepted the fact that if I marry him I'm gonna be the one doing most, if not all, of the cleaning...

And it's always nice to walk into a house that just plain smells good, so if it smells bad that's a terrible first impression!!

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #26
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I usually notice smells first....sometimes you can smell it before you even walk in.
Exactly what I meant ....the smells you get before ever getting inside... hopefully the good ones but sometimes the bad
Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #27
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

The first thing that I notice is the furniture, and the style of the home, whether it is coordinated or shabby chic (nice way of saying hodge podge ). Also, does it feel homey? Then I notice the cleanliness. Smell used to be a big deal with me. When I was a small child, I noticed that each families home had a unique, very identifiable, smell. However, as I've gotten older, I'm losing my sense of smell, so this is not so great a factor now.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #28
Taurus Babe

I would say the cleanliness (is that a word?) and the smell are right there together for me.

Speaking of which, I need to start cleaning this place. But the door tops, they can stay dusty!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #29
Taurus Babe

Ps

Do we have any beer drinker/vacuumers out there? Just mixes it up a bit. what can I say, I'm living on the edge!