4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Oh, Lindsey, I'm so glad to hear about your Mom and that things weren't too bad. It's certainly going to mean a big change in her lifestyle, but it will be worth it! {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lindsay, they are doing all the right tests. That is GREAT! The interesting thing is that in the States, she would likely be sent home and have to go back and forth to get all those tests done. We just don't keep people who are not sick in the hospital for those tests anymore - we used to - but not much anymore. I'm glad though, that they are keeping her right there!

Has someone talked to her about nutrition? Pizza - and i LOVE pizza (I also have high blood pressure) is very high in salt. Eating too much salt, causes fluid retention (in everyone) and for persons with high blood pressure, that increased fluid will raise the blood pressure. It's not that pizza once in a while will hurt because it won't, but pizza everyday or other salty foods everyday, would be problematic. My point is that I hope someone talks with her about food that can help with blood pressure. Also, the nicotine patch can also raise blood pressure. Your mom needs to have an electronic blood pressure monitoring machine at home so that she can keep track of her blood pressure and note if anything like the patch or eating too much pizza (or other salty foods) raises her pressure. You can get these at a pharmacy and they are not very expensive - maybe $40.00.

Tell your mom we are all so happy that she is doing well!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 AM   #18
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Nobody has talked to her about nutrition YET. Her hospital meals all say "Low Sodium" but nobody has actually told her what she should and shouldn't be eating. I'm sure that will come before she's gone though. Yesterday she was craving chips so I bought her some lightly salted chips with 65% less sodium than regular chips.
She got the holtor monitor on yesterday morning. It should come off around 9:30 or 10 this morning. Then they are going to try to get her echocardiogram done today. Yesterday afternoon the doctor said she will have to stay at least 2 more days. They want to know her results before letting her go. If everything is normal, she may be out by tomorrow night! If not, they will keep her for more tests. I think more than anything she's sick of the other old ladies in her room! One will start singing in the middle of the night, and the others will join in. They also never flush the toilet My mom said everytime she goes in there she has to flush before she can use it! Yesterday a nurse came in to talk to the old lady across from my mom, and she asked when her last bowel movement was. The old lady was like "Oh about 8 days ago" and my mom said "Yeah right!" LOL

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #19
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh yeah, when we bought the patch we asked the pharmacist and he said it should be okay but to ask the doctor too. My mom asked the doctor about it and she also said it would be okay! But she might not even need it. It's already day 6 and she still only had that one little craving. We'll see how strong she can be when she gets home! My grandma and my dad (who both successfully quit smoking) said that if she can get through the first week, the hardest part is already over.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 05-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #20
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Sounds like everything is right on target! If your mom is craving chips, then she must be my soul mate! LOL! I LOVE salty things, and I eat them. I probably could take less blood pressure medication, if I reduced my salt intake. But for me, it is a quality of life issue - I take my BP medication and eat my salt!

Of course, if someone told me I would die if I kept eating salt, I would quit - but so far, so good!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #21
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Your Mom is doing so wonderfully with the not smoking!!! That is very good news.

I agree with Gayle. She is getting wonderful medical care in the hospital. Here, they boot you out as soon as they can, and then you are on your own. Too bad about her roommates though.

I hope the tests give good results.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #22
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

She was released today not long after I got there A doctor said her tests were normal, but she should come back in 3 months for another checkup. They gave her a prescription and my dad went and got a one-month supply this afternoon... for $150! Good thing she's quitting smoking!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #23
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
She was released today not long after I got there A doctor said her tests were normal, but she should come back in 3 months for another checkup. They gave her a prescription and my dad went and got a one-month supply this afternoon... for $150! Good thing she's quitting smoking!

Is the prescription for a smoking cessation medication? She has her blood pressure medicine and cholesterol medication doesn't she? Are those medications free in Canada?

I'm so glad that she checked out well. I'm sure the high blood pressure must have been what caused the minor stroke. She is very lucky! Check in with her Lindsay, make sure she is taking her meds and checking her blood pressure on her own. I know they will check it when she goes back in 3 mnths - but I hope she checks it at home every day or at least a couple times a week
Old 05-06-2009, 05:16 AM   #24
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

The prescription is for the cholesterol and blood pressure pills. They are not free here, but my dad's insurance plan gives 100% coverage for prescriptions up to $750 per year per person. My mom's insurance plan will hopefully cover the rest!
I was supposed to visit Scott's family this weekend but instead I am going to surprise my mom by showing up at home Friday night
Last night she didn't even mention having a smoke. We were at my grandma's house with my uncle who smokes like a chimney! During our card games, as soon as they were out they'd always go for a smoke together. My uncle just went out on his own last night. Let's hope she can keep this up without even needing the patch!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:43 AM   #25
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Lindsey, I'm so happy to know she's doing well and happy for you too. I'll keep her in my prayers that the urge to light up never happens for her again.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #26
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm so glad to hear that your mom is doing so well! And I know you will have a great time surprising her this weekend! She will be so happy!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #27
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Enjoy the weekend with your Mom!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #28
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

She was so surprised to see me!!!! I brought her flowers for mother's day, and a breadmaker my brother bought her (he couldn't make it home). I also booked us an hour long relaxation massage at a day spa the next time she's in the city. She's never had a massage before in her life!
Anyways, she seems just like her old self again. Instead of smoking, she has a bowl of mints she sucks on, or some licorice. She used to always go outside to smoke and sit on the front porch right before bedtime. Now she still goes out there, but just has a pepsi. She said she still needs to go outside because it relaxes her before bed. I guess it's still her routine, just a little changed. I asked her if quitting smoking is as hard as she thought it would be and she said "Oh no!" so I'm glad it's coming so easily to her. But like I've said before, I think the health scare was enough for her to never look back.
On a few occasions she said her hands and feet were really cold, and her hands would feel numb for awhile. It's probably bad circulation. She is going to try to get to a doctor this week if it happens again.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #29
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Lindsey, it sounds like your Mom is doing really well!! I'm glad to hear that she's doing so well with the not smoking! It sounds like she had a really good Mother's Day!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #30
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm so glad she is doing well. It sounds like you had a great visit with her! Yes, I would definitely see a doctor is the hands/feet thing continues.