4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > The Positive Forum!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #16
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It fell off the truck? That sounds pretty fishy to me. It might have been meant for someone else to pick up and split with the driver. I think the bank should give her a nice reward.

I'm assuming this is a small town. I don't know if that would happen in NYC. My bank charges $30 for a bounced check! I wouldn't run to give them money back.

I certainly do admire her values and I have returned a pocketbook I found and some money I found in a bank once ($6). The bank officer looked at me like I was nuts, because I found it on the floor. I was a young woman and was raised with those values.

Things have changed now - like I said, this is NYC, banks charge you when you use an ATM, on top of the fee you pay the ATM, enormous fees for cancelled checks, bounced checks, oxygen use when standing on line, etc.

In a small town, yes - I would return it. There's a different economy in a small town.
In NYC, I'm not so sure.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 AM   #17
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy
It fell off the truck? That sounds pretty fishy to me. It might have been meant for someone else to pick up and split with the driver. I think the bank should give her a nice reward.

I'm assuming this is a small town. I don't know if that would happen in NYC. My bank charges $30 for a bounced check! I wouldn't run to give them money back.

I certainly do admire her values and I have returned a pocketbook I found and some money I found in a bank once ($6). The bank officer looked at me like I was nuts, because I found it on the floor. I was a young woman and was raised with those values.

Things have changed now - like I said, this is NYC, banks charge you when you use an ATM, on top of the fee you pay the ATM, enormous fees for cancelled checks, bounced checks, oxygen use when standing on line, etc.

In a small town, yes - I would return it. There's a different economy in a small town.
In NYC, I'm not so sure.
I totally get what you are saying about this. There's a lot of factors that take play in the decision as to how to handle a money situation like this.

Let's say I was riding my 4-wheeler out in the country here. I then came across some unmarked bag filled with cash. Honestly, yes Id probably keep it. Most likely that cash out here would have been in the hands of some meth drug operation dealer and they should not have had that cash to begin with OR doing drugs. So right or wrong Id be keeping me some cash. Again, it just all boils down to the situation.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #18
vainchick5

Seriously, I wasn't born yesterday nor do I think if I actually turn it in, that it will make it to it's rightful owner. I would ONLY give it back if I found the rightful owner myself. I would NEVER go to the police or anyone else because people are very dishonest and you never know who's good and who's not. So I would make an effort to find the owner myself and if I couldn't I would keep it. I would never turn it in because it would end up in some officers pocket the minute I walked out.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #19
katepoet

I haven't had the experience of the police being dishonest. I think if you turn it in and it isn't claimed within a certain time you may have dibs on it. Not sure if those laws are still around. But I know when we were really broke at one point, I lost $40 at the supermarket. I called them but it was never turned in. The following week a friend found $40 at the same market and didn't turn it in - it wasn't my money but I thought she was quite mean to whomever had lost it. That $40 bucks I lost was so critical to us.
katepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #20
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

In a large city, I don't think anyone would ever think to go to the police if they lost $40. Like Sheryl said, it all depends on the situation.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:42 AM   #21
katepoet

No - I mean I called the supermarket. The town I lived in had a population of about 20,000 with another 50,000 -100,000 in the two surrounding counties which were growing very fast. I was shopping in one of the busier markets but it still was nothing like living in a big city. Even here, on the outskirts of Richmond, our local market is quiet enough that I would call if I lost something there and expect it had a good chance of being turned in. But down at the other end of our neighborhood, the markets are a lot larger and busier - probably not worth the phone call.
katepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #22
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Even in NY, people would call the store. You never know!