4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Site Comments & Suggestions

Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB
Haley, your baby is waking up 3-4 times in the night? At a year old he should be sleeping through the night.
i know, the doctor said he's having night tremors or anxiety attacks, go figure.
For one i don't know why a baby has nightmares, the anxiety is probably my fault, i slept with him from birth up. it was only on Saturdays or when my husband slept on the couch i would get the baby and put him in bed with me..
Old 02-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It could be nightmares, or he may be off his feeding schedule. You might want to speak to your pediatrician about it for some sleep habit hints.

Some children just have trouble sleeping, and sometimes sleep training can help.

Haley - don't blame yourself. New moms usually feel that everything is their fault. It usually isn't!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #18
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's what I was wondering too, if he's just getting in the habit of getting up. I know that one thing is to not pick them up in the night. Just pat them on the back until they go back to sleep. Don't play with them in the night because it encourages them to get up. Someone else may have some other ideas.

My kids all slept through the night. I had one that started getting in the habit of waking up and wanting a bottle. Well, one night I let her cry and my husband couldn't take it anymore so he went in to get her a bottle. When he got one out of the fridge the nipple came off and spilled milk all over the floor. By the time he got it cleaned up she was asleep and she quit waking up in the night after that.

Of course, there are babies who just never sleep through the night too. I hope that you find something that helps.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:10 AM   #19
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy
It could be nightmares, or he may be off his feeding schedule. You might want to speak to your pediatrician about it for some sleep habit hints.

Some children just have trouble sleeping, and sometimes sleep training can help.

Haley - don't blame yourself. New moms usually feel that everything is their fault. It usually isn't!
Thanks Judy, he's been sleeping so good up until this month, i was up again last night at 1:00 am, i got a bottle changed his diaper and fell asleep with him on the couch until my husband woke me up at 4 am this morning.
i think its his teeth you can hear him whinning while he's sleeping ? But he has his yearly check up, i'll talk to the doctor again.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #20
HALEY

Quote:
That's what I was wondering too, if he's just getting in the habit of getting up. I know that one thing is to not pick them up in the night. Just pat them on the back until they go back to sleep. Don't play with them in the night because it encourages them to get up. Someone else may have some other ideas.

My kids all slept through the night. I had one that started getting in the habit of waking up and wanting a bottle. Well, one night I let her cry and my husband couldn't take it anymore so he went in to get her a bottle. When he got one out of the fridge the nipple came off and spilled milk all over the floor. By the time he got it cleaned up she was asleep and she quit waking up in the night after that.

Of course, there are babies who just never sleep through the night too. I hope that you find something that helps.
Diane i can't let him cry, i can't take it, my girlfriend laughs at me all the time, i just can't let him cry it kills me, i gave even gave him oatmeal and a bottle before bed last night thinking that he might be waking up cause he's hungry, but that didn't work he was back up again, but im going to keep doing that cause he is a big baby, maybe one night that will help, i'm also going to give him tylenol tonight before he goes to bed, i really think he's teeth are bugging him again.. wish me luck. we need the sleep.. oh well tonight is Hubby turn to get up... so i can sleep.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #21
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Haley,

I went to Amazon.com and here's a good page to go to to look for books on sleep habits. One of my grandchildren had sleep problems and there were some helpful hints in some of these books.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Sle...951172&sr=1-44

Old 02-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #22
HALEY

Quote:
Haley,

I went to Amazon.com and here's a good page to go to to look for books on sleep habits. One of my grandchildren had sleep problems and there were some helpful hints in some of these books.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Sle...951172&sr=1-44
Thank you Judy, i just sent the web site to my home computer.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #23
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
It's been 17 years ago...LOL, but I always fed my son a late supper, 30 minutes later a nice warm bath and then off to bed.

He was born in December and woke up only once during the night. When he was 2 months old (Valentine's Day to be exact) he was a little fussy and I was just as bad. When hubby came home from work I told him it was his turn to feed him and give him a bath....that night my son slept all night long and has ever since.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #24
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
It's been 17 years ago...LOL, but I always fed my son a late supper, 30 minutes later a nice warm bath and then off to bed.

He was born in December and woke up only once during the night. When he was 2 months old (Valentine's Day to be exact) he was a little fussy and I was just as bad. When hubby came home from work I told him it was his turn to feed him and give him a bath....that night my son slept all night long and has ever since.
What kind of Magic did Hubby do that night??? If i would tell my husband it was his turn, he wouldn't even know what to do, you should of seen him when i was sick, he asked me what we bath the baby with
Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #25
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALEY
Diane i can't let him cry, i can't take it, my girlfriend laughs at me all the time, i just can't let him cry it kills me, i gave even gave him oatmeal and a bottle before bed last night thinking that he might be waking up cause he's hungry, but that didn't work he was back up again, but im going to keep doing that cause he is a big baby, maybe one night that will help, i'm also going to give him tylenol tonight before he goes to bed, i really think he's teeth are bugging him again.. wish me luck. we need the sleep.. oh well tonight is Hubby turn to get up... so i can sleep.
I wasn't saying that YOU should let him cry. I was telling what I did with my daughter. I was always stricter than my husband when it came to the kids, but he compliments me now on how well they turned out. I know that it's really hard to let them cry.

If your baby is cutting teeth then Tylenol before bedtime is probably a good idea. Also making sure that he has cereal or something that will help him get a full tummy to sleep through the night. Keep up the oatmeal. Maybe he just needs to get used to a full tummy. Good luck!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #26
HALEY

Quote:
I wasn't saying that YOU should let him cry. I was telling what I did with my daughter. I was always stricter than my husband when it came to the kids, but he compliments me now on how well they turned out. I know that it's really hard to let them cry.

If your baby is cutting teeth then Tylenol before bedtime is probably a good idea. Also making sure that he has cereal or something that will help him get a full tummy to sleep through the night. Keep up the oatmeal. Maybe he just needs to get used to a full tummy. Good luck!
I know Diana, im just one of those mothers that can't stand it when they cry, a new mommy. i go a running when i hear him, my girlfriend told me yesterday to get use to him sleeping in bed with me for the next 10 years, he, he,
but i'll try the tylenol for the pain tonight and the oatmeal also, hope this works.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #27
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

When Jessie was a baby, we were taught to let them cry for a good long while after checking them to see that they're okay, their diaper didn't need changing, etc.

We also only gave water at night, unless you were nursing. Things were very different then. We trained them to sleep all night.

I think they all grew up okay. It is hard to hear them cry, but they are better off if they have a good night's sleep and if Mommy does too. I do think I remember them having nightmares at about a year old. Night terrors are usually later on (at around 3 to 5) and those you do have to sit with the child for a while. They really need reassurance to learn to get through those.

A lot of family's are now just letting the kids sleep with them and not worrying about it. I can't see any harm in that, except for the lack of a sex life.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #28
HALEY

Quote:
When Jessie was a baby, we were taught to let them cry for a good long while after checking them to see that they're okay, their diaper didn't need changing, etc.

We also only gave water at night, unless you were nursing. Things were very different then. We trained them to sleep all night.

I think they all grew up okay. It is hard to hear them cry, but they are better off if they have a good night's sleep and if Mommy does too. I do think I remember them having nightmares at about a year old. Night terrors are usually later on (at around 3 to 5) and those you do have to sit with the child for a while. They really need reassurance to learn to get through those.

A lot of family's are now just letting the kids sleep with them and not worrying about it. I can't see any harm in that, except for the lack of a sex life.
My husband hours are picking up again, so i hardly see him anymore, and in the summer he travels alot so sex life what is that ????????
But the baby is doing a little better now, since i feed him his dinner around 4:30 -5:00 pm, and give him oatmeal and cheerio's around 6:30-7:00 and i try to keep him up to at least 7:30-8:00, but he got up again last night around 11:00 pm took a bottle and i changed him and he slept thru the night until 4:00 am which is wonderful. That's what time we get up for work.... so at least i got 5 hours of sleep last night.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #29
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I agree with Diana and Judy. Make sure there is nothing wrong, then let them learn to get themselves to sleep. It really is for their benefit. Maybe if you look at it this way, the crying won't bother you so bad.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #30
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I agree with Diana and Judy. Make sure there is nothing wrong, then let them learn to get themselves to sleep. It really is for their benefit. Maybe if you look at it this way, the crying won't bother you so bad.
i tried , couldn't do it, that little bugger stood up and grabbed his bed rail and started shaking it. like were the heck are you Mom i know your there !!!!
then i'm getting poked by hubby.. go get the kid..