4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Janet you are both in my prayers I saw this on FB yesterday and I have been thinking of you g/f..
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #17
Shada

Janet, you and your Mom are in my prayers.
Your Mother is a strong woman. As is you! Hope every hour brings improvement.
(HUGS)
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:24 AM   #18
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
Janet, first of all I'm sorry your brothers didn't come to get you. Shame on them!

A heart cath shows blockage in the arteries taking blood to the heart. They punch a hole in her groin, put a line up to her heart, put in the dye, then look at any blockage there may be. The dye then has to be filtered back out through her kidneys, which you know.

An echocardiogram is used to see if there is damage to the heart muscle itself after a heart attack. It's just like a sonogram. They put goo on your chest and run a doppler wand around on your skin. That's all there is to it.

You may know all of these things already...I'm just trying to help I love you and I'm so glad your mom can make her own decisions so you don't have to!
They explained how to do the cath. My brother had it done twice so he was able to reassure her that she wouldn't feel anything. They also did the echocardiogram, but said it didn't show what they needed to see. The way they explained it, is it doesn't show how much or bad the damage actually is and that is why they need to do the cath. That's pretty much why we decided to wait a few days....to gather more information. You are really helping and now I have more questions for the Dr. That's a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Janet, there is some medicine they can give you before the dye (heart cath) to protect the kidneys. It's called Mucinex or something like that (not the stuff you take for a cold. LOL!). Gary has the same problem as your mom, his kidneys are so bad he can't take dye, unless it is absolutely necessary. He takes the Mucinex the day before the dye study to protect his kidneys - I wonder if they could do that for your mom. Of course, her kidneys may be too bad and maybe even the Mucinex won't help. But you might ask.
I will be asking about this. I hope it's something that will work for Mom. She won't drink meds, she's so stubborn...because she doesn't like to see it, smell it or she'll gag. I'll ask about this and the pill form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
It's called Mucomyst. Mike just had some, too. He had to drink it and it smells and tastes like rotten eggs I heard it does come in pill form, too.
Thanks for letting me know what it is called, I'll definitely be checking!! You all are the best!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #19
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

This is a big decision, but you are getting lots of help, and great questions to ask!
Are you taking somebody with you to help with the questions and answers?

How is she feeling today?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #20
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Everyone on here is sooo helpful!!! I'm so proud of US!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
Janet

I went to see Mom this evening. All her vital signs are good including her BP. She's ready to go home...lol....but they are keeping her a bit longer. I didn't get a chance to speak with the Drs. today, but hopefully tomorrow. She is able to get up and go to the restroom on her own and they brought her in a recliner because she whined enough...LOL. She always gets her way...well almost always.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
paula1961

Sooo glad your Mom is doing better! Give us an update tomorrow Janet. I know you are so worried about her. Bless her heart.............she deserves a recliner. And if it takes whining to get it, so be it Hope she is up and out of that hospital soon!!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #23
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Janet, I'm glad to hear your mom is feeling better, hopefully you will get all your question answered so you can make the right decision on what she should do about the heart cath. You both are still in my thoughts & prayers
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #24
Janet

Thanks everyone. When Mom first arrived at the hospital she was in ICU. Thursday they moved her to the general population not sure what you call it.. She is still on the 2nd floor. I just called her and they are going to move her to the 4th floor because she is better. Not sure when they are going to let her go. Mom doesn't want them to do the heart cath because she doesn't want her kidneys to get worse and do hemo dialysis. So we'll see. As long as she can make the decisions and know the facts...I think it best to leave it up to her what she wants them to do to her. The Drs. explain the procedures and I try to be there to tell her in ways that she'll understand. Man this is hard.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #25
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Mom doesn't want them to do the heart cath because she doesn't want her kidneys to get worse and do hemo dialysis. So we'll see. As long as she can make the decisions and know the facts...I think it best to leave it up to her what she wants them to do to her. The Drs. explain the procedures and I try to be there to tell her in ways that she'll understand. Man this is hard.

It is really hard Janet! This is what Betsi and I have been dealing with for many many years, and it never gets any easier. If you need to talk, you know where we are!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #26
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Yep... what Gayle said!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #27
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It sounds very hard! You are not alone though, Janet.

Hugs and love!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote