4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 09-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #16
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Well darn! Gary had a back pain/weakness episode this morning - but not nearly as bad as before. He has muscle relaxants to take and he took one right after it happened, and no more today (knock on wood). He also now knows EXACTLY what forward bending movement triggers it. He said an episode started yesterday as he began to lean forward, but he straightened up right away, and it stopped. I guess he wasn't as quick thinking today. LOL!

So, whatever it is, it is mechanical. I talked with an orthopedic nurse who seems to think the problem can be solved with physical therapy. Did I tell you Gary hates physical therapy!!! Actually, he has gotten lazy since he's been sick and doesn't like to do a lot of physical activity - which he NEEDS to do - but doesn't like to. The physical therapy (if that's what he has to do) will be good for him. He needs to get more exercise anyway! LOL!

Anyway, I think he has enough muscle relaxers to make it to his appointment with the doctor. Oh my, it's always something!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #17
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm sorry Gary is having problems. I hope physical therapy helps, if he does it. Back problems are so hard to deal with. At least it's not life threatening. But I think at this point, things that are quality of life threatening are almost as disturbing. Hang in there Gayle!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Only one episode today and he didn't take any muscle relaxers - so maybe he can squeek by till he sees the doctor (keeping my fingers crossed).

Yes yes yes, I'm so thankful that this is not life threatening - I just am not ready for life threatening right now. However, it may impinge on his quality of life as you mentioned, Betsi, and he is not the easiest person to be around when he is unable to do what he wants. (yes, I'm rolling my eyes). Really though, I do understand. He has to put up with so much, it just doesn't seem fair.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #19
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

What was that expression you used a while back Betsi? Freeze my eyeballs?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully he recuperates quick.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #21
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary is doing OK with his back. He is very careful to not bend incorrectly. He hasn't had an episode in a few days. YAY!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #22
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Gary is doing OK with his back. He is very careful to not bend incorrectly. He hasn't had an episode in a few days. YAY!
Glad to hear that
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #23
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary said he had 4 episodes yesterday - but I know it's because he wasn't being careful. I'm glad his appt is this Friday!

This should go under VENT but since it's related to his back, I'll put it here. We got a copy of his ER bill - now mind you they hardly did ANYTHING for him and we were only there about 2 hours. They put him on a gurney, took his vital signs ONCE, took an x-ray, started an IV and gave him one IV medication and the doc talked to us about 5 minutes. THAT IS ALL THEY DID FOR HIM, NOTHING ELSE.

And the bill was - get ready (scroll down)

$3500.00 I almost DIED. Now, we don't have to pay a cent - he has a primary and secondary insurance. BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT. That amount of money is in NO WAY reflective of what they did for him. $350 would be a lot of money considering what they did. $3500 is just ridiculous! I have half a mind to ask for an itemized bill just to see what they charged for the individual things. I'm not sure I can get one though, as we are not paying the bill.

GEESH! Talk about over charging!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I know what you mean Gayle....it's ridiculous what they charge in the ER.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #25
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Well Gary's back appointment is today at 11:00, so hopefully things go well.

This must be medical care day because on Wednesday I had what appears to be an infected pore, maybe a boil (I've never had one, but there is the first time for everything) come up on my back, so I go to the dermatologist at 12:45. I'm sure it is going to have to be lanced or removed in some way (oh fun).

Then, for quite some time, I have had a bone density test scheduled today at 3:00. Fortunately, it is in the same location as the dermatologist, so if I have some procedure that makes me too uncomfortable for the bone density, I can go by there on the way out and reschedule. But I'd like to get everything over TODAY!

The only tricky thing will be getting from Gary's 11:00 appt, to my 12:45 appt. They are all the way across town, which really isn't that far, but Friday traffic can be bad. It will be no problem at all if Gary's doc is running on time, but you know how that goes sometimes. So, we are going to take separate cars to Gary's appt and then if I have to leave before he is completely done, I can make it to my appt.

WHEW!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #26
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Sounds like you have a plan Gayle. Let us know how you both make out at your appointments.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #27
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary's appointment went OK, they need more tests to determine exactly what has happened. It appears his spine has shifted forward and is sitting on some nerves in the tailbone area. But of course, they need more studies to be sure what it is and what to do about it. The shifting is due to a malformation of the tailbone that he was born with.

So, he's scheduled for an external nerve test Oct. 13th and he also needs a mylogram (dye study of the nerves) but they have to get clearance from his heart and kidney doctors, so it may take a little while to find out when they will do that.

The doctor said that hopefully, we can treat with injections and physical therapy, but he just won't know for sure what to do till he has a better idea about the amount (if any) of nerve damage.

This doctor is VERY conservative, and surgery is always his last resort, so hopefully we can solve this without surgery!

Now, on to my two appointments.................
Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #28
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Well, this isn't about Gary's back, but is related to my appointment today that I mentioned above. I have a big ole cyst on my back which has to be excised. I have to take antibiotics first though, because it is inflammed right now. They will cut it out the middle of October. Fun. Just a local in the office, no big deal.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #29
paula1961

Wow Gayle! You've had a big day today with drs appts. Sorry about Gary's back, hopefully it can be fixed with no surgery.

Ewww a boil is sooo sore! I had one once and it was awful. Hope all goes well with your bone density test. Mine turned out to be low and I have to take Actonel for it. Hope yours is better.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #30
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks Paula. My bone density is low too, but getting better. I take Evista. This is just a routine test to see how I am doing. Hopefully OK, I'll find out in a week or so.

Re the thing on my back. It turned out to be an encapsulated cyst rather than a boil - which is not as painful. However, it will have to be surgically removed (just in the office). She injected it with cortisone today to reduce the inflammation and I have to take antibiotics for a week also. All the inflammation has to be gone when they remove it or they can't get it all and it will come back. I don't want that, for sure!