4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
Men!!! Diabetes are so hard to regulate sometimes. How about one of those pumps?
Judy, Gary HAS one of those pumps and it works GREAT - we love it. But, right now it needs to be adjusted. I probably could do it myself, but I am so scared of doing something wrong with it. We go to see the doc next Monday, so we'll get it adjusted then.

Paula, Betsi and I have said that very thing - our husbands must have been separated at birth! LOL! Both of them have very bad genes, and if not for us, they likely would not be here now!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

They are twins... Twin pains, lol!! Not really Most of the time I feel really bad for Mike, but sometimes the stress and responsibility of it all really gets to me. I know Gayle feels the same way
Old 09-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
They are twins... Twin pains, lol!! Not really Most of the time I feel really bad for Mike, but sometimes the stress and responsibility of it all really gets to me. I know Gayle feels the same way
Oh you so hit the nail on the head, Betsi. I'm so sad that all of this has happened to Gary - he is such a good person, he's never been overweight, he worked a manual job so he got plenty of exercise, never smoked, never drank or did drugs. He's very laid back and never gets stressed out - yet he has heart failure, kidney failure, lung failure, diabetes, and a few other ailments. It just doesn't seem fair - but that's what you get when you have bad genes.

Now, all that said, it IS completely overwhelming sometimes - and I wish that they would use some common sense sometimes!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
I so feel for both you (Gayle) and Betsi, I know it has to be so stressful for both of you. At least i do get a break from mom, Gayle I'm sure you remember what i was going through with mom, you helped me out so much on those late nights that i sat up crying in front of the computer wondering what i was going to do with her.
And now Janet and i cry on each others shoulders whenever there are problems with our mom's. It's so nice to know that we are not alone at these times.

Thanks for such a nice place to come to when we are in need.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #20
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne b View Post
I'm sure you remember what i was going through with mom, you helped me out so much on those late nights that i sat up crying in front of the computer wondering what i was going to do with her.
Oh Lynne, it makes me feel so good to know that your mom is doing so much better. I just knew something was not right when you started talking about her symptoms. I'm just glad that I could help - wish I were closer to both you and Janet!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I hope everything turns out well for both of you.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #22
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Well, I figured out what is wrong with Gary's blood sugar. We saw the diabetes doctor and nurse today. The nurse adjusted his insulin pump because, as I mentioned earlier his blood sugar has been running too high. He is supposed to be getting 1 unit of insulin for every 7 grams of carbs he eats.

So, tonight he had a pancake, with peanut butter and syrup. I measured it out and it was 100 grams of carbs. So, by hand calculations he should have gotten 14.2 units of insulin. But when I put the carbs into his pump, I noticed it delivered 11.11 units of insulin. I thought, "Hmmm, that's not right". Sure enough it wasnt' right. The pump says it is set on 1:7, but it delivered 1:9 (one unit of insulin for every 9 grams of carbs). For the last 3 months we thought it was delivering 1 unit of insulin for every 8 grams of carbs. We lowered it from 1:9 3 months ago - but I guess it never changed!!! That's what you get for relying on a machine and not doing the calculations yourself!!!

So, this is what is wrong with Gary's blood sugar - the pump is delivering the wrong dosage and has been delivering the wrong dosage for the past 3 months. I called the nurse and left a message on her phone to call Gary tomorrow. I hope she can check the pump and see if it can be set correctly. If not, he'll have to get a new pump because this one is out of warranty. Sigh. One more thing to hassle with!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #23
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Well, I figured out what is wrong with Gary's blood sugar. We saw the diabetes doctor and nurse today. The nurse adjusted his insulin pump because, as I mentioned earlier his blood sugar has been running too high. He is supposed to be getting 1 unit of insulin for every 7 grams of carbs he eats.

So, tonight he had a pancake, with peanut butter and syrup. I measured it out and it was 100 grams of carbs. So, by hand calculations he should have gotten 14.2 units of insulin. But when I put the carbs into his pump, I noticed it delivered 11.11 units of insulin. I thought, "Hmmm, that's not right". Sure enough it wasnt' right. The pump says it is set on 1:7, but it delivered 1:9 (one unit of insulin for every 9 grams of carbs). For the last 3 months we thought it was delivering 1 unit of insulin for every 8 grams of carbs. We lowered it from 1:9 3 months ago - but I guess it never changed!!! That's what you get for relying on a machine and not doing the calculations yourself!!!

So, this is what is wrong with Gary's blood sugar - the pump is delivering the wrong dosage and has been delivering the wrong dosage for the past 3 months. I called the nurse and left a message on her phone to call Gary tomorrow. I hope she can check the pump and see if it can be set correctly. If not, he'll have to get a new pump because this one is out of warranty. Sigh. One more thing to hassle with!
So sorry to hear that. But atleast you got to the bottom of the issue. He better be glad he has such a smart women on his side. (I'm sure he feels very lucky)
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #24
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Wow! It is a good thing you caught this! At least it's not something wrong with Gary, just his pump!

We all do expect our machines to work properly, especially when they have to do with health.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #25
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

HI Guys! I am so relieved - the pump is OK, it was actually a programming error. It's hard to explain, but the pump did change to the appropriate insulin to carb ratio - BUT - we have several preset buttons - that's the part that is hard to explain but here goes.

For example, when you dial in the number of carbohydrates that you eat, the pump goes up in increments of 5's. So if you ate 70 grams of carbs, you push a button that goes to 5, then you push it again and it goes to 10, again to 15, again to 20, again to 25, and so on all the way to 70. It is tiring to push the button all the way up to 70 and you can just imagine how annoying the button pushing is when you eat 150 carbs (which isn't very often, but if you have pancakes with syrup, it will be 150 carbs). So, there are some preset buttons on the pump. There is a 50 preset and a 75 preset - so that you go up from there, e.g., if you eat 75 carbs, you only push the one preset 75 carb button. If you eat 80 carbs, you push the 75 preset button and only have to push the button once more to go up from 75 to 80. He also has a "cookie" button, where you just hit cookie and it dials in 25 carbs, which is the average carbs in a regular sized cookie. There are a few other present buttons for other things. OK, so here's what happened.

We changed the insulin to carb ratio on the pump - but we didn't change the ratio on all the preset buttons. Now, I can plead ignorance, I thought if you changed the ratio on the overall pump settings, it changed it on the presets too - but it does not, you have to change the insulin to carb ratio on all the individual presets also. Yes, the nurse 3 months ago and the nurse yesterday should have done this - but they didn't. I'm glad I figured out the problem and I'm glad it is fixed now!

The moral to the story - don't rely exclusively on machines. If I had just once, in the last 3 months, hand calculated his insulin to carb ratio, I would have caught this error before yesterday.

Oh well, it's fixed now. YAY!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Oh good.....I'm glad that you got that all straightened out!!! Gary's in good hands!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #27
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I would have thought the preset buttons changed automatically, too. There's no way we can know EVERYTHING, though, lol! I'm so glad it was just the machine and not the man
Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #28
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary's blood sugar is doing MUCH better!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #29
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Glad you got it straightened out before your trip!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #30
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Wow Gayle....You are such a smart woman I am so thankful that you are part of the family here. I bet Gary is feeling so much better. You're amazing.