4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
glad to hear your doing good with your hand, hope it takes care of the numbness for good.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Was doing great...Mom passed out and I was trying to get her to come to and I used the hand with 6 stitches in it. Didn't tear them out but do have some ice on.

This was the second time mom passed out today....I think these are the mini strokes the drs. Were describing. I take her to the dr tomorrow
Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 AM   #18
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Oh! NOT GOOD
Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That doesn't sound good about your Mom and you need to take care of that hand
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
Janet

I know....but I didn't even think. I checked it today and it's just fine...no redness or anything. Mom isn't acting right...I really think the spells are mini strokes. She had an EKG done today. We are suppose to go tomorrow to her heart Dr. to find out the results. I tried to get my brothers to go...but no....so I'm canceling. They can tell us the results over the phone. I'm sick and tired of running to another town all the time just because I'm either off or in-between bus routes.

I realize that is not what I should be doing....but I'm tired and I need a break. I may take off and go to a hotel or motel over the weekend...not sure yet. I would like some alone time and it seems that is the only way I'm going to get it. I guess it also depends on if Mom starts feeling worse. Gayle.....I soooo wish I would have listened to you more about not bringing Mom to my home. It's a little late now without breaking her heart. I would never recommend this to anyone.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #21
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, it is very difficult - we want to take care of our parents, they took care of us, but it is very very different when you have your parents in your home. Also Janet, your home life was not good to start with and your husband was not supportive - which makes it even worse, I think. My husband was super supportive and he loves me and my mom so much - but even he was so tired of having her here all the time.

Even though my mom does not have any health problems, my daughter and I just HAD to reclaim our home and our lives. I know mom would much rather be with us, but we both have so many other irons in the fire. I'm so glad that she is in her own space, she has constant care, if she needs it, and she is safe. It is so much better for all of us. She is doing well, making some friends and participating in some of the activities. It is good for her.

I know that sounds heartless - but it is not. Life is very complicated these days, and even in the best of circumstances, it is difficult.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #22
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Janet, it is very difficult - we want to take care of our parents, they took care of us, but it is very very different when you have your parents in your home. Also Janet, your home life was not good to start with and your husband was not supportive - which makes it even worse, I think. My husband was super supportive and he loves me and my mom so much - but even he was so tired of having her here all the time.

Even though my mom does not have any health problems, my daughter and I just HAD to reclaim our home and our lives. I know mom would much rather be with us, but we both have so many other irons in the fire. I'm so glad that she is in her own space, she has constant care, if she needs it, and she is safe. It is so much better for all of us. She is doing well, making some friends and participating in some of the activities. It is good for her.

I know that sounds heartless - but it is not. Life is very complicated these days, and even in the best of circumstances, it is difficult.
Gayle, I can not agree with you more on this, as much as i love my mom i am so glad that i did not bring her here to live in my home, you remember how many nights i stayed up crying and you were always there to console me. Mom is being taken care of so much better than i could have ever done, especially with her medical needs, i know she is lonely at times and she calls just about every night just to hear my voice i think and to reasure her on daily avtivites, but she also talks about how busy they are keeping her there, she went bowling the other day and had pizza, she loved it, she use to bowl on leagues years ago. With me working full time and busy with the dogs and life in general i now feel it was the right decision.

Janet, maybe the next time your mom goes into the hospital you can take that chance to take her back to the place she was at, i know she said she didn't like it there but she really wasn't there long enough to give it a chance. I know it would be heart breaking having to explain to her that it is just to much for you to handle, but she just needs someone/place that knows how to take care of her needs. We have talked about this endlessly and you always end up caveing to her wants, you need to stand up for yourself and think about what it is doing to you, it's not the fact that you don't love her because you have shown her that you do love her and you both have grown closer over the past year.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #23
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Oh Janet, how awful. I hope you two ladies are fine now.

She does need to be supervise 24/7. Many hugs to you my friend.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #24
Janet

I'm sure most of you saw on FB that I had to call an ambulance to take Mom to the hospital. On Friday...I was sitting on the couch and Mom in the recliner. I heard some kind of noise...not sure what it was but I immediately looked at Mom and she was slumped over to the left with her left arm kind of shaking. I asked her if she was alright and she slightly shook her head 'no'. She then struggled to say she thought she was going to pass out, that her head hurt. I told her I was going to call 911 and she shook her head 'no' again.

By the time I got off the phone with 911, Mom was out of it completely. While I waited on the ambulance and paramedics I called my brothers and moved everything out of the way so they would have plenty of room to work and get a gurney in. When the paramedics arrived they couldn't get a heartbeat, pulse or any reading on that thing they put on the finger...so he got on the radio and told the ambulance to expedite. She was still breathing...we could see her stomach going up and down, but that was it. I really thought she was taking her last breaths.

By the time they got her to the hospital her BP was 60 something over 40 something and her heart rate was 160 and higher. Her urine was cloudy. They tried to get an IV in but had lots of problems. Her veins move and they blow. They did get into an artery, but the only thing coming out was a white liquid....no blood.

Since her BP was so low they pushed fluids into her and it all went to her lungs so they had to put this mask thing on to help get rid of the fluid and ran all kinds of tests. The Dr. called me out to the hall and said she was really bad and didn't think she was going to make it. They got her stablized a bit more and then sometime around 1:00 AM they move her to PCU...I think that is what it's called. She was more alert and my brother drove me home. I was in bed at 2:00 AM, but had to listen to snoring until 3:00.

I went to visit her today and she had definitely had a heart attack (they told us that last night) and also within the last week or so the CAT scan showed she has had a couple more strokes. I thought this on Wed. and Thurs. because she was having some trouble lifting her arm already affected by the stroke in January.

Her BP is still very low, but she is speaking (although it's a bit more slurred than before) and laughing and seems to be feeling much better. This lady must have more lives than a cat....lol.

This is what's been happening in my world.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #25
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Janet, I love you. Please call Hospice..
Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #26
paula1961

Oh Janet so sorry to hear this. I hope your Mom is feeling better. I'm praying for you and your Mom.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #27
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Oh how scary Janet I'm so happy I didn't read a bad ending. Please put your foot down and have professionals around her 24/7.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #28
Janet

Thank you ....my brothers are finally helping to make some phone calls and see what we can do with Mom. Either a nursing home or someone to stay with her.

I get my stitches out on April 1...I can't wait. I still can't do much yet. I can use it, but can't pick anything up with much weight yet because it will hurt some, but it's getting better everyday. There is still some numbness yet, but not nearly as much....yea!!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #29
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Some how I missed this. I'm so sorry about your Mom. Is she out of the hospital yet? What's going on? I'm sure that you were so scared!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh my gosh, I missed this too I'm sending hugs for you Janet! How is she doing?

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote