4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 12-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

If Layla has her Grandma all day, she really has it good! Do they all eat together? If you feed Layla first, she may become the alpha. You and Scott are the real alphas, and I would think you can kind of push the hierarchy among the three dogs. It doesn't sound like Lucy is going to be a problem for Layla, being that she is so shy.

I love you both for taking the 2 rescues in!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #17
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

They all get fed at the same time, we put all their bowls down at the same time, but Layla always eats hers first. The other two don't really eat very much. Well, Kash will usually just want to play instead of eating, until he gets really hungry. Lucy will eat if we hand feed her a few kibbles, and then she'll eat the rest later. Sometimes I have to push Kash away from Lucy's food because he'll go there first! We put water in Lucy's food to soften it so she doesn't have to chew because she only has three teeth. Kash is missing his front teeth but he can chew just fine with his side teeth! He just wants it easy like Lucy has it lol!

Last night, Layla was sleeping in her bed and Kash went in and sat in it until she moved. I saw that, so I got up and put Kash in his bed and put Layla back in hers. She laid down again. I watched, and he slowly stepped out of his bed and into hers again. She was about to leave and I said "NO!" and I put him in his bed again, and I pushed him into a laying position and told him to leave Layla alone! Well, he stayed in his bed for the rest of the night! Maybe I do have some power around here lol!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #18
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

How cute! He sounds adorable! A little handful, huh? Please take some pix!

Annie won the dog bed fight she and Max were having. She is laying in there now. I will buy another one just like it if they still have it at TJ Maxx. It's a really nice bed, and only cost $14.99! I can put the other bed upstairs. That one was $9.99!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lindsay, it sounds like you are doing so well with the newcomers. They do have to jockey for position and since Kash is a male (aren't they always problematic LOL!), he may sense she has a disability and try to take advantage. Judy is right, you and Scott are alpha, I think that Kash is smart and he will surely figure it out soon.

You and Scott are angels for taking them in.

This is OT but there was a story today in the paper about a man who is taking in donkeys that have been abandoned. He only has 10 acres so he has to find foster homes for them while they rehabilitate, get well, and wait to be adopted. He talked so lovingly about donkeys - he says they are very affectionate and loyal, but fiercely protective and will attack dogs or whatever threatens their loved ones. I see donkeys with herds of sheep around here and they protect the sheep from wild dogs or coyotes. Anyway with the drought around here, he says there are lots of abandoned donkeys and in the story he was looking for people with land who could take some in. It was sad but uplifting at the same time.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Tonight, Kash went straight to his bed and didn't bother Layla at all! Unfortunately it's 1:30 in the morning and I'm the only one up because I can't fall asleep!

Judy, I'll try to remember tomorrow to take the new pictures off my camera!

Gayle, that is such a great story that someone cares for those donkeys so much! I hope they can find enough foster homes for them. I hate when any animal is abandoned

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #21
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You are the alpha Lindsey...you did could by getting that understood straight away.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #22
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Okay guys, here are a few new pictures I'll add more on facebook too!

1. Kash in Layla's pj's, giving his daddy a kiss!

2. Lucy hamming it up

3. The girls!

4. Kash none too happy that I made him put the squirrel down for a picture lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K800_DSCF2755.JPG (95.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg K800_DSCF2762.JPG (86.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg K800_DSCF2776.JPG (100.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg K800_DSCF2777.JPG (97.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #23
Janet

I know the pictures were about the dogs, but Lindsey....Scott is a cutie for sure!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #24
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Lol thanks Janet!! I think so too

Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #25
Janet

Are they all still doing well together?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #26
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

They are! Well, Layla is still not so happy with Kash but she's fine being around Lucy. When Kash starts going crazy and running around squeaking toys, Layla gets so mad and tries to put him in his place! On Friday night, she bit his ear as he ran by, and he turned and growled at her, and she was done with her barking. It's still a bit of a struggle with those two! Tonight they were all sleeping nicely while we watched Christmas movies, but then Kash wanted to get up, and he started walking right into Layla to push her out of her bed! I told him to stop being a jerk, and I would push him out of the way but he kept going back and finally Layla just left. I've been trying to side with Layla and push Kash down a notch but I don't know how well it's working. Either way, it doesn't escalate so I guess we're lucky they don't hate each other THAT much!

On the weekend we took all three down to visit Scott's parents and we met his new 1 month old nephew. The dogs didn't care at all! They sniffed him a bit, and walked away. That was good to see! When we have kids, there shouldn't be much of a problem!

Oh yeah, and last night, Lucy made our night! She has opened up so much lately. She will get down on her front paws and turn in circles and run back and forth when she's excited and wants to play, but she doesn't really play at all. Last night I was upstairs getting ready for a bath, and Scott frantically called me downstairs. I came down, and he was holding Kash back and he threw a toy for Lucy and she ran after it and tried to pick it up!!! That's the first time she has shown interest in toys It was so awesome to see!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #27
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm so glad they are settling in so nicely! They probably think the are in Heaven
Old 12-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #28
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Lindsey they are so cute.

You are doing great with all three of them. I know it can be a handful, I sometimes want to pull my hair out with all mine.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #29
Janet

I'm really glad to read that they are getting along for the most part. It's really wonderful about Lucy, before long, she'll know just how much fun it is to play.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #30
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Yes, Scott is very handsome!

It sounds like they are mosrtly doing fine together! Kash is taking advantage because Layla can't put him in his place. You can either let it be, or try to help her out by not allowing him to dominate her.

They are so beautiful! Kash and Lucy look pretty healthy to me, and they sure don't look very old! You've got yourself some cutie pies there!