4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Arts & Crafts

Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
katcarasella
KAT'S KRAZY KORNER
Donating Member

Send a message via Yahoo to katcarasella
A needle or a crochet hook? If it has a hook on the end it's a crochet hook, and that means you crochet.

Opps, Diane is back

Kat
katcarasella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #17
Dobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katcarasella View Post
A needle or a crochet hook? If it has a hook on the end it's a crochet hook, and that means you crochet.

It's a hook - looks like I can crochet and didn't even know it (although all I can do is square blankets).
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #18
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
Yep, you're crocheting!

I can crochet a little bit but I haven't ever made anything. I found cross-stitching and, absolutely fell in love with it! I don't do much of it any more though but I do have several beautiful pictures on the walls that I've made. I made a gorgeous family tree!
I used to love to cross-stitch. The supplies have gotten so high and my time is so short. maybe someday.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #19
janc

That is so cool! I have a pattern for an Army crochet blanket and I hope I will get to it soon! My son was born June 30, 1976. We were hoping for July 4 but he was already 10 days late so I was glad to get him out. I'm not an expert at crocheting but I keep trying. I made a scarf a few years ago and wear it in the winter.
janc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #20
janc

My girlfriend makes blankets that way. I'll have to get her to teach me.
janc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #21
teri88

I've made some afgans, but I can not follow a pattern. I used to cross stitch, that's my first love. My hands are too arthritic now, but I used to always be working on something. I loved to quilt, too.

Of course I'm in shape. Isn't round a shape?
teri88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #22
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri88 View Post
I've made some afgans, but I can not follow a pattern. I used to cross stitch, that's my first love. My hands are too arthritic now, but I used to always be working on something. I loved to quilt, too.
I always loved cross stitch too, but my fingers start hurting too. I also like doing the plastic canvas but same thing...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #23
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri88 View Post
I have problems with my hands as well. A friend once told me that I have some type of nerve damage, but that has never been diagnosed. How hard is quilting?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #24
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
I'd love to quilt... but between my arthritis in my hands and lack of patience I don't see it happening. My grandma quilted till she was in her 90's and made baby quilts and wedding quilts for every one of her 40+ grandchildren and 50+ great grandchildren.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:49 AM   #25
Marilyn

What is it with our hands??? Do you suppose it's the computer doing this? Are we wearing them out typing??? My hands bother me, too. When I try to do much crocheting or any other hand work, my fingers start to go numb. It's probably the carpal tunnel that I need to get fixed, but I also have some arthritus. There are lots of older ladies busy quilting and such. Why are we having so many hand problems???
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #26
Janet

I don't know Marilyn...something has to be up. It's even hard for me to stir something up in the kitchen, my hands start aching and fingers too. I try not to hold on to what ever I'm using too tight, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I was just lying down, (not really feeling the greatest) and my hands were going numb then too. I'm really tired of not feeling good..physically and emotionally. It's always something it seems.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #27
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Arthritis runs in both my mom and dads families. One of my uncles had those huge arthritis knots on his hands . It was SO bad. I have a knot that forms and goes away again over and over on my right thumb, so kinda know what I'm in for. I think typing helps me to keep my hands limber as I do it whether it hurts or not... which is the key with arthritis. Once you stop using the arthritic joints they just lock up... not willing to let that happen.

I also injured my hands several times when I was young, so old joint injuries are often prone to arthritis. I've broken fingers, dislocated a thumb, etc while breaking horses.

So anyway that's what I blame this on. lol
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #28
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I have arthritis in my hands too. I have one kind that forms knots on the last joints of my fingers. It really doesn't hurt too much unless pressure is applied. My Mom and her sisters have this so I know what my hands are going to look like in a few years. Then I have some arthritis in my knuckles. Sometimes it swells up a little and when the weather changes (usually 2-3 times a year) my knuckles ache. I hate it when that happens. It's like a bad headache in my hands!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #29
Janet

I was going through the pains this morning Diana, rain moving in, but the pain was in my knees. I really should start taking the meds the Dr. prescribed, but so far the ibuprofen is working most of the time.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #30
Tiramisu

I have Osteo Arthrisis and am in remission with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I went through chemo with the RA, injections (Enbrel), Vioxx, Celebrex, Arthrotec, Niproxin, and probably a couple more for about 5 years. Right now, I take one Aleve in the morning and sometimes a second one on bad days. Aleve helps my knees, ankles, and hands, but doesn't seem to do much for my upper back and hips. Then, I have to take Prilosec OTC for the acid stomach the Aleve gives me. And, lots of Iron because I stay anemic.

All-in-all, I feel great right now. I think typing and crochet helps my hands, but the sitting is heck on my back, hips and legs.