4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
I have a problem with thinking about turning someone into the authorities. If I saw a problem then I would consider it. I'm just not for turning anyone into the authorities. I hate to think that that's what our society is turning into.
For me, I'd hate for something to happen to the child in question and know that I could have at least tried to help.

Maybe it's just my training, but in my opinion, DCS isn't there to punish parents. They exist to see to the well-being of the child. The child's well-being depends on the family's well-being so we do everything we can to improve family functioning so that the child's safety and happiness improves.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #17
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

She is a fool, a stranger could have picked him up and he could be gone forever.
You did the right thing, I would have done that also.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #18
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I heard a quote recently - "What other people think of me is none of my business."

You did what a caring person with good values would do. Her reaction has nothing to do with you. Because she is - drunk, stupid, who knows - doesn't mean you have to go down to her level.

I would call DCS because life is too fragile, especially for a child. He needs you to help him by getting his mother some services.

JMO

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #19
Jo4

Kudos to you, Dobie. Joanne
Old 07-25-2008, 03:23 AM   #20
HALEY

Child care services dont do much in Pa, we have a daycare center around my area which is run by an alcoholic, she drinks all day long taking care of very young children, she was reported numbers of times, i also reported her and nothing was done, what scares the hell out of me is this woman has a pool in her back yard, and i have nightmares of children drowning in this pool.. they should take her lisc. it just makes me mad that they don't close her down! You can see her drinking on the porch falling in her yard, she's an alcoholic !!!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
Emmsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles View Post
This wouldn't be a police matter. They'd just refer DCS.
Actually, that would be up to the police to decide. I know for a fact that they don't always call DSS. Even tho that is the correct procedure to follow it is not always done.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #22
Emmsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles View Post
For me, I'd hate for something to happen to the child in question and know that I could have at least tried to help.

Maybe it's just my training, but in my opinion, DCS isn't there to punish parents. They exist to see to the well-being of the child. The child's well-being depends on the family's well-being so we do everything we can to improve family functioning so that the child's safety and happiness improves.

That would be great if it were true. I know of a family right now that is going through hell because of DSS. The children are being sexually abused and have been physically abused by the father and because of DSS he is still allowed to see them. For the life of me I can't understand it. The children have been examined by doctors and bruises have been documented. There is much more to this that I am willing to put out there. The mom turned to the cops first who did NOTHING. She then turned to DSS who did nothing. So needless to say I don't think very highly of DSS. It is a joke to me and is doing nothing more than punishing these children who by the way are 6,10, and 14.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #23
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmsmom View Post
Actually, that would be up to the police to decide. I know for a fact that they don't always call DSS. Even tho that is the correct procedure to follow it is not always done.
It is done here.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 07-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #24
AngieDoogles

Quote:
That would be great if it were true. I know of a family right now that is going through hell because of DSS. The children are being sexually abused and have been physically abused by the father and because of DSS he is still allowed to see them. For the life of me I can't understand it. The children have been examined by doctors and bruises have been documented. There is much more to this that I am willing to put out there. The mom turned to the cops first who did NOTHING. She then turned to DSS who did nothing. So needless to say I don't think very highly of DSS. It is a joke to me and is doing nothing more than punishing these children who by the way are 6,10, and 14.
Maybe Virginia doesn't have a very good system. That's something that could be changed if enough people wrote to legislators and officials...
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #25
Emmsmom

Sadly I don't think it will be that easy... I also know that this problem doesn't just plague Virginia.

I also think that if you were a fly on the wall when the Police get these calls you would see that do as they please.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #26
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Sadly I don't think it will be that easy... I also know that this problem doesn't just plague Virginia.
You never know unless you try. Something this important, I would at least try...
Old 07-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #27
Emmsmom

Well as soon as this is all said and done the family plans on going to the media. Right now there are too many court hearings coming up and she doesn't have any time to think of anything else. Actually they are in the process of trying to sue DSS. So maybe later the media can help.