4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 03-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra Amaya
Thanks so much Sheryl & I was wondering how you found this Ang...lol...I'm glad you did
I try hard to keep up with all of the threads, lol. This could be a full time job!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #17
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles
I try hard to keep up with all of the threads, lol. This could be a full time job!
lol That's why I'm gald I'm a stay at home mom.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
AngieDoogles

Quote:
lol That's why I'm gald I'm a stay at home mom.
Haha! I'm a student so I am at home quite a bit too...procrastinating. Like now! I should be starting my two big papers that are due soon. Oh well...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 03-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #19
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
Quote:
Haha! I'm a student so I am at home quite a bit too...procrastinating. Like now! I should be starting my two big papers that are due soon. Oh well...
lol I know that feeling. I should be planting my second garden..but I'll wait until the kids are in school
Old 03-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #20
AngieDoogles

Quote:
lol I know that feeling. I should be planting my second garden..but I'll wait until the kids are in school
We get to plant a garden when we move! I'm really looking forward to it. Do you guys think May is too late to start a small garden?
Old 03-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Hi Debbie and welcome to 4wt, you will become addicted in no time lol , everyone is really great. You have two wonderful daughters and like some mentioned they are a pleasure to have here they also keep this place hopping. lol
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #22
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

Thanks, Gina

I think they are pretty wonderful too but I may be a little prejudiced for some reason
Old 03-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #23
rivermom

Quote:
We get to plant a garden when we move! I'm really looking forward to it. Do you guys think May is too late to start a small garden?

Once the soil temps are consistent within the 50's you can begin to plant most spring vegie seeds. A few weeks later when the soil temps are up into the 60's and 70's you can plant summer stuff.

Cool season vegies are like most salad greens, peas, onions and cold crops such as cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli--can tolerate temperatures slightly below freezing. I think transplants can (if you start your seeds let's say in styrofoam cups on a sunny window sill) safely be placed into your soil when it's consistently warmer w/ no freezing, etc.

Warm season vegie's are like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash and melons.

I believe your area is zone 6.

Planting your perennials / annuals could easily be planted in May - no danger of frost this time. I believe you want to aim for temps being consistent within the 70's.

All bulbs no matter what zone area are best planted in the fall.

Don't forget to take pics of your garden and share with us all here.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #24
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermom
Once the soil temps are consistent within the 50's you can begin to plant most spring vegie seeds. A few weeks later when the soil temps are up into the 60's and 70's you can plant summer stuff.

Cool season vegies are like most salad greens, peas, onions and cold crops such as cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli--can tolerate temperatures slightly below freezing. I think transplants can (if you start your seeds let's say in styrofoam cups on a sunny window sill) safely be placed into your soil when it's consistently warmer w/ no freezing, etc.

Warm season vegie's are like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash and melons.

I believe your area is zone 6.

Planting your perennials / annuals could easily be planted in May - no danger of frost this time. I believe you want to aim for temps being consistent within the 70's.

All bulbs no matter what zone area are best planted in the fall.

Don't forget to take pics of your garden and share with us all here.
Wow, that's a lot of information!! Thanks Sheryl!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #25
rivermom

Quote:

Oh your welcome Angie. I just love gardens of all types.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #26
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermom
Oh your welcome Angie. I just love gardens of all types.
I've always loved gardens too, but I've never had one of my own so this will be a new challenge and learning experience for me!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #27
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
I agree. Sounds like Sheryl is the one to ask. I am basically doing trial & error. This is my 3rd garden only my second with veggies & first with these veggies. Thanks so much Sheryl it helps alot on knowing when to put my veggies & herbs out. BUT I messed up on my Irises... I planted those a couple of weeks ago as bulbs I hope they make it.