4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > My Pictures & Videos!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
Gayle, your garden looks amazing!!! Now I feel guilty for not finding the time to put one in. Maybe this fall!!! I can grow brocolli and cauliflower and cabbage and shallots. There are lots of good fall veggies.
I can't wait to do the fall garden!!! I want to do some winter squash - acorn and butternut!!! I'm going to plant tomatoes too in Sept, and see if I can get tomatoes before it freezes.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #17
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Having a garden sounds so wonderful. I may have to change my mind though....IF I apply and get hired at Rural King, I'm afraid it will all go to waste. Just have to wait and see I guess. I sure don't want to be swamped with things that need done all summer.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Gayle, do you think it's too late for me to try to do this now? Hubby would probably kill me if I take on anything else though. He was complaining this week that I have way too much to do and don't relax enough.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #19
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
Gayle, do you think it's too late for me to try to do this now? Hubby would probably kill me if I take on anything else though. He was complaining this week that I have way too much to do and don't relax enough.
It might be a bit late for tomatoes, don't know if they'll set on before it gets too hot - but plants are so inexpensive, it's worth it, so I think I'd plant two or three. I saw some the other day at the nursery that were blooming, if you can find them that far along, you will be OK. You can certainly do herbs, squash, eggplant and other things like green beans (if you have room).

I'd go for it! I just love coming home to the garden. I go in the house, change my clothes, and say to the boys (Rex & Rowdy), "Let's go check the tomatoes" and they are out the doggie door before I can get my body turned that direction.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #20
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
.......I'm going to plant tomatoes too in Sept, and see if I can get tomatoes before it freezes.
I tried this once and it did work. If you have a lot of green tomatoes when the weather turns cold. Pick them and wrap them individually in newspaper. Lay them in a single layer in a box and put them in a dark place (I kept mine under my bed.) They will slowly turn red. Make sure that you check them often because you'll have some that will spoil. I had fresh tomatoes until Thanksgiving the time that I tried it.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #21
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

My hair stylist is starting a garden with the veggies hanging upside down????

Knowing her, it will work. I would prefer to do it your way, Gayle. Don't you love it?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #22
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Your hairstylist may be talking about the hanging tomatoes. I see them advertised on TV. My uncle says he's going to try them too! We'll see how it works out!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
I tried this once and it did work. If you have a lot of green tomatoes when the weather turns cold. Pick them and wrap them individually in newspaper. Lay them in a single layer in a box and put them in a dark place (I kept mine under my bed.) They will slowly turn red. Make sure that you check them often because you'll have some that will spoil. I had fresh tomatoes until Thanksgiving the time that I tried it.
Diana, we used to do that when I was growing up. It worked well!!! Great way to extend the tomato season and same money not having to buy tomatoes out of season. With Mexico so close, our season is longer, but they do get more expensive in the winter time.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #24
Marilyn

Quote:
It might be a bit late for tomatoes, don't know if they'll set on before it gets too hot - but plants are so inexpensive, it's worth it, so I think I'd plant two or three. I saw some the other day at the nursery that were blooming, if you can find them that far along, you will be OK. You can certainly do herbs, squash, eggplant and other things like green beans (if you have room).

I'd go for it! I just love coming home to the garden. I go in the house, change my clothes, and say to the boys (Rex & Rowdy), "Let's go check the tomatoes" and they are out the doggie door before I can get my body turned that direction.
I'll have to go to a nursery during lunch this week and see what they have. I don't know that I have time to do the square foot setup, but I have big pots that I grew lettuce in last fall I could put some veggies in. Doesn't cost much to try.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #25
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Well...since it snowed here today, and on Sunday, I don't see much of any planting going on on my deck!!!

I think silk plants MIGHT survive.....

Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #26
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
Well...since it snowed here today, and on Sunday, I don't see much of any planting going on on my deck!!!

I think silk plants MIGHT survive.....
Judy, when you live in the frozen tundra - WHAT CHA YA EXPECT!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 AM   #27
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Judy, when you live in the frozen tundra - WHAT CHA YA EXPECT!

You are so right.

I am beginning to think about setting up my deck. I brought the exercise pen out for the dogs, moved the statues over, moved my table that will go in between the lounge chairs, and am looking for a table, chairs and umbrella set.

I also ordered used AstroTurf for the dogs, which I'll put around and inside the expen. It's cool - it's from the Titans, and was used when they played.

Here are some pix of the deck, the front lawn, and the AstroTurf (sideways), which will stay wrapped up on the porch until the sun shines!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1552.jpg (187.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1553.jpg (194.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1554.jpg (202.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1555.jpg (190.1 KB, 5 views)

Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #28
Marilyn

I can't believe there is snow on the ground where you live, Judy. It just seems so weird. Here I am complaining about the AC in my truck and your dealing with snow!!! Wow!!

I potted my vegetable plants last night. I took a picture, but it was in the dark with a flash. I'll try to do it this weekend when it is daylight.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:44 AM   #29
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I know! The snow looks so odd!!! I would love to visit that area - upstate New York, sometime. Gary has no desire to do so, that means I just might have to trek out on my own (or better yet, with a GF!)
Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 AM   #30
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
I know! The snow looks so odd!!! I would love to visit that area - upstate New York, sometime. Gary has no desire to do so, that means I just might have to trek out on my own (or better yet, with a GF!)

Come on up!!! It's really beautiful here. Today it will be 57 degrees too - a heat wave!

It does get hot, but we are 1500 above sea level in town. I'm not much higher, but we are up in the mountains, and that's where snow hangs out.