4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

We also have some that want to teach the age that they have their own boys in. That's alright but we have two that have the same age boys.

I have some ideas for tomorrow and I'll get some material around later. I'm feeling a little hesitant after last week.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Diana, sooooo hope things go well for you tonight!!!! ((((((((Diana)))))))))
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Good luck Diana!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #19
DianaB

Thank you so much!! Tonight went soooo much better. I only had 8 boys. I was a little more demanding about raising their hands when they needed to talk and kept control of the class better. About the time I got ready to start crafts a friend came in and helped. Her timing was perfect and she was wonderful help!!! A big sigh of relief!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #20
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
It makes it so nice when things are under control. Not only do the kids really enjoy it more, but it's more enjoyable for you too. I'm so glad things went better.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #21
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm so glad things went better. I STILL think they should get a man to do that job.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #22
Marilyn

So glad for you!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #23
DianaB

Me too. I was so worried about teaching the boys. I'm glad that things went so much better.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #24
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

"Judy, I'm sure that you're right about what it takes to make the kids listen to you. A man would be better suited to teach this class and we do have several......but they just want to help, not teach. I know that I don't show it on here but I really do have a drill sergent inside of me!!! "

I'm sure you do, Diana! The thing is, do you want to be like that while you are teaching them? I never did like those teachers who are too rigid, don't smile, etc., and I never wanted to be like that.

I learned how to let them know that "the evil Judy" would come out if they acted up, but, if they were good, I could keep her in my little toe. This really worked, even in high school!

I enjoyed having fun with my kids, but I taught for years, so I developed my own style. You must be fun to be with too, and very loving. My kids understood that I loved them all, but if they wanted that extra special love, the had to to things my way.

How is it going? I'm sure that if you really want them to behave, you will figure it out. It all does come from the heart, and you have plenty of that.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
DianaB

I didn't mean that I'm a drill sargeant all the time. I think that you'd like the way that I teach, Judy, and the way that I relate to the kids. I'm trying to make things fun and doing fun crafts. We've been studying pirates and connecting them to lessons in the Bible. Quite hard but I've enjoyed it. So far we've made pirate hats, treasure maps, and spy glasses. Tonight we're going to make a red scarf to tie around our waists and I'd like to make some swords next week but I'm not sure how to do that without someone getting hurt. We had a cannonball fight last week with rolled up paper balls and the boys just loved it!! I got attacked with the paper balls too.

Last week I told them that I needed them to be better for me or I wouldn't be able to be their teacher. It was like I had a different class from the week before. I hope tonight goes good too. It sure seems like Wednesday comes around rather quickly!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #26
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

What fun! My grandson would love to be in your class. He's going to Sunday School with Kassidy because they are both receiving communion this year. I doubt that they are having such a good time, because they would tell have definitely told me all about it.

Maybe you can cut out cardboard or oak tag swords and let the boys decorate them.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #27
DianaB

Tonight went well, but I only had 6 boys and at least two of them were sick. I'm probably going to have the swine flu next week. Bummer!! Tonight we made sashes to go around their waists. Then we cut the ends and tied beads on the ends. They turned out cute but the boys had trouble cutting the material AND tying on the beads so Amy and I had to do most of it. Oh well.....next week I think that we're going to make eye patches!!! Now I need to come up with a Bible story to go with it!!!

For the swords I'm wondering about rolling up newspapers. I have to have something that won't hurt others because I know that they're going to have some sword fights!!! Amy's doing some checking into something for me on this one.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 AM   #28
Marilyn

Diana, one of our lessons this summer was putting on the whole armor of God, and we assembled a whole suit of Roman armor for each child using gold & silver poster board. I think these were from kits that we inherited from a congregation in Austin who had them leftover. They had gold belts with a holster to put the sword in. You could probably make some swords like these by using cardboard for a base and gluing silver construction paper or poster board over it.

The theme for the summer was the Keys to the Kingdom, and for the last lesson, they made crowns that had been pre-cut from the same gold posterboard. Purple tissue paper was used to form the top of the crowns, with gold crossbands and point on top and they got to glue plastic gem stones to them.

The armor and the crowns were really cool.

DSC_0275.jpg DSC_0283.jpg
Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #29
DianaB

How cool!! I bet that the kids loved it!! I'll have to keep this in mind for future lessons. Thanks for the ideas!! I'll have to think about the swords. Tonight we're going to make eye patches!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #30
paula1961

Those boys look so cute in their armor! I bet they had a blast! Diana, eye patches and boys They'll enjoy that!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote