4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 12-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #301
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

At 3:00PM today, Brooke called and said, "Someone gave Bryan a smoked turkey, let's fix turkey and dressing for dinner". SO WE DID. OMG! I fixed dressing and pistachio salad, and corn. She fixed mashed potatoes and gravy and rolls. It was so good. Now Gary's belly is so full he feels badly! LOL!

We are eating Christmas dinner at an Italian restaurant (Brooke wanted something different) - we just didn't want to cook the whole nine yards on Christmas day - and we were feeling badly because everyone was whining about no turkey and dressing on Christmas day. So now they've got it for several days (leftovers)!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #302
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Got up early today as I had to have Mom in Lafayette to get some blood. That takes awhile so I went to Penney's and bought her a pair of black slacks she wanted for Christmas. I did visit a couple other stores, but didn't find anything. Ricky put our tree up yesterday. It's a pre-lit tree and looks very nice...even without decorations. We just didn't have time or the want. I've been busy with Mom every day for a week now and today was no different. We aren't even wrapping our gifts...LOL. Just boxes and non-see through bags...so funny. We are having a very laid back Christmas this year. Mom will be out later. She goes to my younger brothers house for supper and then comes here to spend the night. After we open our gifts of a morning we take her back to town to my older brothers house for Christmas day dinner.

I called her a little while ago...she doesn't sound good at all. Doesn't seem like the blood added or the IV iron given to her yesterday are giving her any more energy at all.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #303
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

We had our Christmas with the kids on the 24th. It was nice because we had them the whole day and they didn't have to rush off. I cooked Italian food and it was really good but soooo different from what I usually fix. I figured that the kids would have the traditional meal at their inlaws so I decided to be different. We opened gifts and had such a good time. The kids played in the basement and some of the adults played Apples to Apples. The kids went home about 6:30 or so. Then Glen ran to a neighboring town to pick up a lab puppy with Damon. Damon and Dae Lynn got one for the kids. It's the cutest little guy......a chocolate lab and they named him Butch!!! Glen wanted one so bad but that's one thing that I won't buy for him because he wants a true hunting dog and it has to meet with his specs but I could tell that he was impressed with what he saw......maybe next year!!!

On Saturday Glen and I opened presents that we had for each other. It was a hard morning for me with not having any kids here. We've been married for 36 years and have had a child here for every one of those years. I cried several times but after we opened presents I was better (I found out that my sister-in-law had a hard time too and cried for the same reason.). We spent the day cleaning things back up for the Baker party on Sunday!!

After church we went out to eat then headed home to clean some more for the Baker party. We just did finger foods so there was no big menu to prepare for. We had probably about 50 people. Glen's brother's grandson fell on a scooter and cut his forehead open so his parents had to rush him to the ER. The poor little guy, who is only 4, had six stitches in his head but he came back to the house smiling and acted like nothing was wrong. He sure scared everyone though because he sure had a big pool of blood in no time on the floor.

We played a game where Glen had wrapped up a couple of presents really good using different boxes, string, and lots of duct tape. Then we all formed a circle and someone started tearing open the gift (Oh, and the gifts were on each side of the circle so we had two going at the same time) while the person rolled a dice. When they rolled a 6 then the person had to quit opening the gift and the person who rolled the die took their place while the person behind them rolled........and the game continued until the gift was finally opened. It was fun and everyone enjoyed it.

Then we did our Silly String fight!!! We just told everyone to bring their own string and we bought a few extra for those who forgot........then we had the silly string fight in the basement (I wanted it outside but I lost the arguement) The kids loved it!!!.......Actually, the adults did too!!!

Now we just have one more party to go......with my side of the family but it's on New Year's day so I have a while to recouperate!!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 AM   #304
Janet

So far today...lol....5:00 AM, I am sitting here in the hospital with Mom. I think I may have slept an hour, but Mom is sleeping now and when she exhales....her jaw wiggles...lolol....sure wish I would have brought my camera. She'll have her colonoscopy at 11:30.

I guess my younger brother is coming back over around 10:00 this morning. Not really looking forward to that so maybe I can sleep. I saw on his FB page where he said he hated spending time at the hospital....well, duh...who does???
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #305
DianaB

Just try to get some rest when you can.......And don't let your brother bother you. Hugs Janet!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #306
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I took Gary to the chiropractor. He hurt his shoulder a few weeks ago, and it has gotten progressively worse. This chiropractor fixed my shoulder so I was in hopes she could fix his. (SIGH). She told him he needed surgery - that he had a torn ligament in his shoulder. That was NOT what we wanted to hear!

After the appointment, we came home and hung some pictures. It is so hard for me to decide where to hang pictures. I hope I got them in the right places! LOL!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #307
paula1961

So sorry to hear about Gary having to have surgery on his shoulder. I bet that is very painful for him. Hope he is better soon. Is he going to have the surgery?

I have been to the dr today with Larry too....he is having his gallbladder removed on the 6th of Jan. It should be outpatient depending on what they see when they get in there. Hopefully it will just be about a 20 min. procedure. Thankfully he is in pretty good health and no signs so far to any heart problems or anything. I feel very fortunate to have a husband that is 65 yrs old and takes meds for high blood pressure and that's pretty much it..that's bad enough but no serious health problems yet!

Janet...how's your Mama today????
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #308
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hi Paula. Yes, I imagine if the surgeon recommends surgery, Gary will have it. His shoulder is just giving him fits. It hurts all the time and especially at night when he tries to sleep.

I hope your husband's surgery goes well. Gall bladder removal used to be soooooo bad. It was a very painful surgery and the recovery took a long time. Now as you say, it's about a 20 minute procedure, usually on outpatient basis.

I made chex mix tonight. I ate too much - oh my - I need it to go away!!! LOL!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #309
Janet

Yesterday I spent most of the day with my mom, but left when my niece came at 4:00. It always feels so good to get home. I finally had the talk with my younger brother about helping more with Mom. He told me he couldn't make any committments because he may have other things going on. Anyway...it wasn't pretty and I'm done with him. I have Mom to concentrate on, he can kiss my "you know what."

My older brother, Jerry, told me to stay home today and rest and that he would go and pick up Mom from the hospital. Jerry works where my son works and delivers auto parts to dealers. He fell yesterday after delivering some parts. He couldn't get up and had to bang on the wall of the building till someone finally heard him. His knees are really bad so I imagine today he is going to be really sore. I'll call him shortly and see if he is able to get Mom..if not...I will.

Not sure how I'll get everything done...follow up appts. to make for Mom, I have to deal with an insurance company for her place in Florida and order her dialysis supplies. Mom forgot to order on the 21st.

I think Mom's mind is slowly going. She can't remember anything of that day. Her kidney nurse called while I was at the hospital with Mom and said she had called Mom. I asked Mom if Ruth called her and she said no....that she hadn't talked with her for awhile. Yesterday my niece texted me and said that the Dr. came and was going to release Mom today. I called Mom last night and she said no Dr. came in (and he is her favorite Dr. and they hugged) while Dusti was there. She can remember things from a while back, but not the day of.

Gayle...I hope Gary can get his shoulder taken care of as soon as possible. No fun being in pain. Does he have good pain meds?

I had my gall bladder out a couple years ago and it was nothing major. Three little holes in my stomach and that was it. Hopefully it will go just as easy for your husband Paula as it did for me.

Today my plans are to pay bills, pick up around here and then go to the bank. When my brother gets Mom home, I'll go in and make sure her meds are in order and taker her purse and cane back to her.

We're suppose to have lots of rain...today, Friday and Saturday with a high Friday of 52. With all the snow we have there is sure to be some flooding on some of the roads.

Hope you all have a great Thursday.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #310
paula1961

Sounds like you have alot on your plate today Janet! Just do the things that you have to do for your Mom and the rest can wait..well I guess the bills won't lol! I hope your brother is not too awfully sore today but like you said....he probably will be. We're supposed to get rain everyday here too and I think a high of about 60 on Friday. You have a wonderful Thursday too! I hope your Mom has gained some of her strength back.

Hope you got the chex mix taken care of Gayle lol!!! When I fix that stuff...I swear..I can not stop eating it! I love it!

I think I'll take my Christmas tree down today. Was gonna leave it up until the weekend but I'm going to have 2 of the gkids and I'd rather spend time with them than be dealing with the tree. I need to get several things done in the house...we'll see how that goes lol..
Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #311
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Sounds like everybody is busy, busy! I do not envy you Gayle and Paula...men can be such babies, lol!

Mike is at the ranch hunting and has been since Tuesday. I didn't go because the grass burrs are terrible there, and they make the dogs miserable. Anyway...Mike and I are together 24/7 so a few days apart aren't a bad thing:rolleyes

My life is pretty quiet now, but Kirby and I start classes again on the 10th. He's such a beast
Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #312
DianaB

Gayle and Paula, I'm sorry to hear that your husbands need surgery. Men can be such big babies when they're laid up (anyway mine is!!) I wish that there was something that I could do to help out. I guess I'm helping by praying for you all.

Janet.....my heart goes out to you. I keep thinking that I should come and be with you but I know that I'd just be in the way. My heart is with you anyway!! Maybe after a while your Mom's memory will return. I'm sure having all of that fluid and with everything she's been going through has caused some problems that will eventually clear up.

I'm watching Karlie and Dean today so NOTHING is getting done!! That's how it usually goes.

Yesterday I went to Iola with Amy and the girls....they had a dentist appointment. While they were there I went to one of my favorite flea markets. I got a lot of stuff!!! It was fun!! Then we went and looked at the baby hedgehog that I bought Daya for Christmas. It won't be ready to go home until Jan. 15th so it's still pretty little!! I had read where you WILL get poked!!!! And they meant it!!! There was no way to pick the little guy up without getting poked!!! It's going to be an interesting pet......but on the other hand.....he was soooo cute!!! He'd roll up in a ball and just have his nose and little legs sticking out!!! I think that she's going to name him Stu.

Then we went shopping at some stores in Chanute that have nice Christmas stuff and sales. So we had fun shopping there. I found what looks like branches but they have little lights on the ends that you can add to arrangements so I'm going to figure out something to do with them and put them on a timer where it will turn on every day......now I just have to figure out where to put them......

I have one more Christmas party on Saturday with my side of the family. I think that I may have started an arguement with my brother.....we'll see. He called yesterday to bring a new girlfriend with him to our party. I'm not sure that he's divorced yet or if he is it's just barely. Anyway things have been a mess with him and I really am not ready to face a "NEW" girlfriend. He's been married 4 times. Besides....they've only dated for 2 weeks!!! Anyway....I told him not to bring her.....so we'll see if I started something. If I did........well, it may not be pleasant!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #313
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

LOL Diana, I would have told my brother the same thing! I hope though, that he doesn't stir up trouble for you! It sounds like you had a fun day shopping. You mentioned the timers and my daughter told me to put my lighted display cabinets on timers. I'd never thought of that - but I got three timers and I am so happy! They come on at 7:00AM and go off at 11:00PM. That's a nifty idea!

We have had a busy day. First I worked around the house this morning, putting away more things. Then I had a lunch date with a girlfriend who I hadn't seen in quite a while. After lunch, Gary and I went to get our travel trailer to bring it to our house. We have a long pad beside the house with plenty of room to park the trailer. It saves us paying every month to store it. When we were looking at the space beside the house, we noticed where someone had hit the corner of the roof. I am SURE the previous owner hit the roof with his RV backing it in or pulling it out. Needless to say, I was VERY nervous as Gary was backing it down the driveway - but he didn't get close to the roof! LOL! He's a very good trailer backer and I should have known he wouldn't have any trouble.

Once we got the trailer in the driveway, we could see that we were going to have to trim the tree a bit. So, we got out the trimmer and went to work. It didn't take too long. Next, the smoke alarm and CO2 alarm were chirpping because the batteries needed to be replaced. Isn't it always something!

Gary went to Home Depot to get some plywood and cinder blocks. We bought a little 8X10 metal shed to store our lawn mower, etc. A friend of Gary's is coming over Saturday to put it together for us. It's nice to have good friends! We are going to set it up on the cinder blocks (3 inches) so that it won't be sitting directly on the ground. The plywood is for the floor. Hopefully it will go together easily, but you know that just about never happens!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #314
paula1961

Mercy..mercy...we are all really busy!! But in a good way if that makes any sense at all lol!!! Got the tree down today and back up to the attic with all of the other decorations.
Tomorrow...meeting my ex dil to pick up the gkids for the weekend! We will only have Morgan and Logan but they will be here till Sunday..we'll have a blast I always have so much fun with those 2 lol!

Gayle..do you guys have a back up camera on your tow vehicle? We do and it comes in so handy when backing up to the camper........glad you and Gary are about to get settled in your new place!!

Diana..girl..I can completely understand you saying no to your bro and a new girlfriend. Now is just not a good time in that kind of a situation. Maybe in another couple of weeks lol! Let us know how that turns out lol! Seriously...have a wonderful last Christmas of the year with your family!!

Janet.....how is your Mom? Did she come home today?? I've had you on my mind alot today...love u!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #315
Janet

I have loved reading these posts!!! Everyone is so busy and to me....everything sounds so fun! I had a good day too. My older brother brought Mom home from the hospital so I was able to get a few things done around home and pay some bills. I did some laundry and ran to the bank. Mom got home so I was there to help Jerry get her in the house. Since it had been a few days since she hooked herself up to the dialysis cycler, she wanted me to stay and make sure she didn't mess up. Mom did good.

Not sure how my plans will work out, but I'm planning on bathing the dogs tomorrow. I hope I can get them all done. Just looking forward to being home. Rick has to work, but Ricky and I will be here most the day.