4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #31
NicoleMarcelle

on that link that you posted it says the nat. high, low and avg...

lowest is 2.01 in Adel, GA
highest is 4.40 in Mendosino, CA
and average is 3.32
Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #32
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Okay I even did the conversions so you American peoples would understand
Our prices around my province right now are about $4.69/gal. By this summer it's expected to be at least $5.86/gal.
It makes no sense here because the province (as well as Alberta) is basically sitting on an ocean of oil and we are bringing it up like crazy and shipping it everywhere. So we're shipping our stuff to places like Toronto, and they're only paying (as of last week) $4.01/gal.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 AM   #33
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Oh, Lindsey, that's horrible. That's Canadian dollars, too. Aren't yours worth more than ours right now?? I haven't been keeping up with the Canadian exchange rate lately, but I know the US$ has been dropping in value compared to most others.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #34
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
Oh, Lindsey, that's horrible. That's Canadian dollars, too. Aren't yours worth more than ours right now?? I haven't been keeping up with the Canadian exchange rate lately, but I know the US$ has been dropping in value compared to most others.
It was worth more at the end of last year, and I think into January too, but for some reason it's now back down just below your dollar I think. Some people are saying it's supposed to keep dropping, and some say it's going to rise again by the end of the year. I hate not knowing, because I need to take american money with me to NYC at the end of the year, and if it's going to keep dropping, I'd like to take out that money now while the exchange rate is still relatively good! But then I don't want to be kicking myself later if our dollar goes back up

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #35
Tiramisu

Regular was $3.699 while I filled up my Tahoe yesterday. This should be interesting to watch:

On May 15, ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex Tillerson will sit down with "The Today Show's" host Matt Lauer to discuss earnings, oil and gasoline prices, windfall profits taxes, and other current issues impacting the energy industry. Watch him on May 15 at 7:15am ET/CT on NBC.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #36
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
we are up to 3.49...at the cheapest
Old 05-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #37
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
$3.799 here today. And it's not going to get any better!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #38
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
This morning we are at $3.95

I remember my dad getting mad when it went up to 26 cents.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #39
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
Regular was $3.699 while I filled up my Tahoe yesterday. This should be interesting to watch:

On May 15, ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex Tillerson will sit down with "The Today Show's" host Matt Lauer to discuss earnings, oil and gasoline prices, windfall profits taxes, and other current issues impacting the energy industry. Watch him on May 15 at 7:15am ET/CT on NBC.
Thank you for this. I would really love to hear what they have to say. I just hope I don't forget to watch it.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #40
Tink

Wonder what they're paying him to be on that hot seat?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #41
Janet

Good question...be interesting to watch and see, don't ya think?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #42
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
I would love to watch, but I will be dropping my son off at school. You ladies will have to keep me informed.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #43
Tink

7:15 AM... ummmmmm hmmmmmmmmm PM I could do... AM not so much. lol
Old 05-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #44
Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
This morning we are at $3.95

I remember my dad getting mad when it went up to 26 cents.
Wow, Janet!!! Yesterday, I saw Shell at $3.71. I waited until I got to Corpus Christi to fill up because it's usually about 10 cents lower at the Valero stations near the Valero Refinery. Well, not this time. I paid $3.699.

Hubby talked with a guy who works off shore reading oil pressures and the pressures are really high right now on the platforms which means there is lots of oil in the Gulf. Lots of oil, no problems at the refineries right now, lots of supply, lots of demand. I don't understand why prices are going up so much. They are saying the Sauds are raising them. Why do we have to follow suit when we have lots of oil right here???? and can make it into our own gasoline!?
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #45
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hi Marilyn,
Part of the problem is that U.S. are refineries are not up to speed - there hasn't been a new one built since the 1970's and the ones we have are old and antiquated. I'm not sure why they have been allowed to go downhill. It means though, that even if we step up oil extraction in the U.S., we can't refine enough to make much difference.

Another thing contributing to the high price of oil is the weak dollar - so we have to pay more dollars for the same amount of imported oil - even if they weren't raising the prices - which of course they are - but the weak dollar means we are paying more of them for oil. The weak dollar is tied to the national debt, which is quite high now.

I've been told that commodity trading of oil on the stock market has created a "middle man" is also contributing to the rise in gas prices. I don't understand that one though, maybe someone can explain it to me.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote