4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 09-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #31
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Well, we're home. It's kinda long story, but we bailed out on the procedure in Houston. Hubby was on the table and he and I both felt that it was not the right time. Something felt wrong, too many red flags. I hadn't told him my feelings, because I knew he really wanted to get this done and behind us. I was in the waiting room crying. He'd been away from me for maybe 10 minutes and a nurse came and got me and said my husband wanted to talk with me. We had both lost confidence in the doctors and the staff due to some things that happened yesterday and this morning, so we called it off, got him disconnected and came home. We will meet with the his cardiologist and review options. We may try a different facility and a different team of doctors in a couple of weeks.

Glad we came. Things were not the way we wanted them to be here in advance of a major storm, and if we had stayed in Houston and had the procedure, the wind would have been too strong by the time we got home to move the RV, so we are all boarded up now and things are as we would want them. The dogs that were boarded are picked up from the vet's office, they were requiring that they be picked up today. The RV is hitched to the truck and ready to head out early tomorrow. Tanks are full of gas. Gas is selling out and very hard to come by, so we were fortunate to find some. One vehicle is full of super, but who cares.

We were heading to San Antonio, but Karen's roommate will have a lot of her family there, so we are heading to Melissa & Garrett's in Austin. We'll get some tropical storm winds, but at least will be out of Cat 3 or 4.

We got about 2 hours sleep last night worrying about everything. What a waste of a room at the Marriott!! We're running on adrenalin now, I think. It's been one crazy, crazy day. My cell phones have been going crazy with everyone calling to check on Hubby and wanting to know what is happening.

Karen and Melissa were down on the coast today, Karen at our house and Melissa in Houston. They both said there are hundreds, literally, of tour busses, school busses, ambulances, headed in both directions. It's crazy around here. Right now the track brings it right over us. It may shift, but we're just not taking any chances. Some of our friends are staying, but they are in older lower lying homes. Ours is on high ground and a two story with wide open golf course behind us. Nothing to break the wind.

I know this is long. I'm stuck in overdrive. Will try to keep you posted as things progress.

Everyone, please be safe!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #32
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Everyone being affected by hurricanes is in my thoughts. With how extreme the weather has been in the past couple of years, I am so thankful I don't have to deal with that kind of thing here.
Stay safe!!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #33
Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
That site is pretty nice Sandy....thanks!

Last address I had for Marilyn was Victoria...where is Gayle located?
Yep, that's where we are. If you hear it is going into Matogorda Bay or Port O'Conner, that's basically a direct hit for us. We are inland about 20 miles as the crow flies which causes us to be well above the storm surge (we are approx. 95 feet above sea level), but not out of the wind and rain. Windows, roofs, power lines, trees are at risk with a Cat 3 or 4. Much of the damage results from blown in rain, through a compromised roof or window.

My office, by contrast is in Port Lavaca, on Matagorda Bay. We are about 200 yards (if that far) from the water and approx. 16 feet above sea level. My office may be in danger of flooding, and is a standard metal building, warehouse type construction. We're a little concerned about the office. Hubby's office is in Victoria, in a pretty well protected location and is also boarded up.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #34
Marilyn

BTW, here's a link to our hometown paper. I don't like their website at all, but it does have up-to-date information on evacuation from this area.

www.victoriaadvocate.com
Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #35
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

Marilyn first of all be safe. I am also praying you will not have much damage to your home and offices.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #36
Tiramisu

I still think Ike is going to split the difference between Marilyn and me, with the eye coming in over Freeport. I'm pretty bummed out that, with this foot, I can't do anything to help Hubby prepare for this storm. He has to drop a 20'x20'x12' tall canopy. It took him 2 hours last time, with me helping.

I'll be working from home tomorrow because these crutches don't work well on wet surfaces.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #37
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Sandy be careful. We don't need you slipping and hurting yourself.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #38
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Marilyn, I'm so sorry that the medical procedure didn't work out. You were probably right about canceling it since both of you felt the same way. And I'm glad that you were able to go back to the house and get it secured. Be careful traveling and take care of yourselves. I'll be waiting to hear how things are going. Just stay safe!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #39
Tiramisu

ExxonMobil is closing it's Houston offices tomorrow. Hubby picked me up at noon. MIL is giving him a hard time to come get her. She's a normal 1.5 hour drive away, but with mandatory evacuations, he might or might not get in and out. She even used the line, "I wish I had died with your Daddy." He's beating himself up. I told him to go be with her and I'd be OK here. Oldest daughter will probably end up here with me. She told him to go and she'd take care of me and doggies. She's being such a brat lately.

It looks like I'll get 90mph winds at my house. Hubby's working hard outside, getting everything picked up and battened down. We probably won't flood, but will almost definitely be without power for several days.

I have one of my supervisors on business in Milan and scheduled to fly in Friday night. I'm telling him to stay there until Monday, because the Houston airport will probably close down midday tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #40
Dobie

I'm so sorry to hear that your husband is still having difficulty - I hope that you are abel to find a facility that you are comfortable with.
I pray that Ike is not a serious as is being predicted
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #41
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
ExxonMobil is closing it's Houston offices tomorrow. Hubby picked me up at noon. MIL is giving him a hard time to come get her. She's a normal 1.5 hour drive away, but with mandatory evacuations, he might or might not get in and out. She even used the line, "I wish I had died with your Daddy." He's beating himself up. I told him to go be with her and I'd be OK here. Oldest daughter will probably end up here with me. She told him to go and she'd take care of me and doggies. She's being such a brat lately.

It looks like I'll get 90mph winds at my house. Hubby's working hard outside, getting everything picked up and battened down. We probably won't flood, but will almost definitely be without power for several days.

I have one of my supervisors on business in Milan and scheduled to fly in Friday night. I'm telling him to stay there until Monday, because the Houston airport will probably close down midday tomorrow.
Don't ya just want to choke them when they use the guilt to get to ya??? 90 mile an hour winds are not a good thing...you all just be careful.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #42
Tiramisu

Has anybody heard from Marilyn? I've heard the phrase "hunkered down" several times this evening and that's what I'm doing for the next few days. We went out for a quick margarita this evening, but our favorite place was closed. We stopped at the liquor store and got a bottle of the already mixed margarita. It's a hurricane supply!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #43
Tiramisu

Looks like we'll get the direct hit. Ike's big, so lots of people will be affected. May God Bless and Keep Us All! I hope to be able to text message from my blackberry and might even get around to getting into 4WT on it. I expect we'll lose power this evening. My Yahoo e-mail goes to my blackberry, too.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 AM   #44
Dobie

I'm thinking of all of you! Please try to keep us updated as you can.
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #45
Janet

Sandy...please...if there is any way, once this storm passes...let us know you are safe...okay. I have you in my prayers ....