4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #31
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Mom is doing fine right now. She wants to go home so we are going to let her ......come what may. She won't listen to reason and doesn't want help so most likely unless it's an emergency... she won't get any.

We've all grown tired of trying to help her when she doesn't want help and gets angry when we try to get it for her. She is going home during the day and at night she sleeps here for dialysis. When she can start hooking herself up without help then the machine will be moved back to her house.

I know it sounds cruel, but she won't listen to us and says she can live on her own without help. At night....I will be turning my phones off....I need to be able to stay awake driving the bus...so if she needs help during the night...she'll have to call one of my brothers or 911.

I sure wish I would have taken a picture of my hand with all 6 stitches in it. I had thought about it plenty of times but just didn't get one taken. Now the skin is peeling around the incision and is healing up nicely. I don't think there will be that much of a scar. My pointer finger and thumb are still on the numb side, but it comes and goes. Hopefully it will go and stay that way...lol.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #32
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm glad to hear that your hand is getting better and healing nicely.

Your Mom is just one stubborn lady!!!! I would probably do the same thing that you're doing since she's so insistant about going home. You just have to place any problems that some up on her own shoulders because she's so stubborn.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #33
Janet

You're so right Diana. We've all had enough of trying todo the best by her, but it's never good enough because according to her.....she doesn't need help and can do it all by herself. So that's exactly what she can do.

I was just looking at my hand and there isn't going to be much of a scar at all....amazing.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #34
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, you have done exactly the right thing, you can't MAKE her be reasonable. So, what will be, will be. I would do exactly what you are doing, also I'd turn the phone off because as you say, you need to be awake to drive the bus. You have taken care of her, and helped her as much as possible, now, the rest is up to her.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #35
Janet

It's strange, but when my older brother said to just let her go home and when she's here....let her do for herself....I didn't know if I could. BUT....I can...and I have been and it's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #36
DianaB

I think that you're Mom is getting exactly what she wants.......unfortunately in the future it's not going to be for her benefit.....but she'll have no one to blame but herself.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #37
Janet

That's true. I made it get dressed again. She still hasn't been to her house the last couple of days. I thought she wanted to go home soooo bad. I really don't think she wants to go back to being alone.

I did have a long awaited talk with her though and explained that there are things I need to make clear...such as if the phone is for her...I will give it to her, but my phone calls are for me and if I want to share them I will...don't ask "who was that" and "what did they want." And she is to wash everyday and clean her dentures.....and clean up whatever mess she makes.

I'm still ready for her to go to her house or a nursing home. I really think she knows she can't do it all on her own like she says she can. Ricky and I were sitting in the living room and Mom was in the kitchen eating lunch. We heard a big crash and Mom had fallen on the floor. She got up to get a piece of bread and down she went. She's okay, but I bet she'll be a little sore in the morning.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #38
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Oh my, I hope the fall wasn't that bad. I know at that age bones are so fragile. Glad you two were there.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #39
Janet

I really thought that I wouldn't still have much pain 3 weeks after having the carpal tunnel surgery. I go to see the dr tomorrow for a checkup to see how it's doing so I'm hoping everything is going okay. I think I'm going to ask him about a brace of some sort and it if might help until it's done healing.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #40
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I've heard that can be some pain for a while after carpal tunnel surgery. Hope everything is OK and that the doc can do something to help you.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #41
Janet

I'm really not worried....just ready for it to be back to normal...call me impatient...lolol
Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #42
DianaB

I didn't realize that you'd still be having pain now either. I hope it goes away soon.

I think that you're Mom just wanted to make a fuss about going home but really realized that she really isn't up to living alone right now. Maybe you should back off of a lot of decisions and let her make her own.......voila'....no fight!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #43
Janet

I did get a brace for my wrist and it's really helping. I don't have to go back to the Dr. unless I have a problem or questions.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #44
DianaB

Sounds like you're doing pretty good. I'm surprised that they didn't advise you to get a brace before now.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #45
Janet

I know....I'm surprised too. Bought one at Wal Mart, so far....so good.