4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 AM   #31
paula1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Hi Paula, thanks for the update on your dad. Janet's mom has probably not had SLED dialysis because it is used for persons who are very sick. It's just a slower way to do regular hemodialysis (where the blood is filtered through the machine to remove the toxins and wastes). Regular hemodialysis takes 3-4 hours, but SLED is done over 8-10 hours because people who are very ill can't tolerate the loss of fluid so quickly - so it is done slower.
Yes that is how they explained it Gayle. I also googled it and read that it is easier on the heart too.
I'm going back down today. They are planning on putting a shunt in his abdomen tomorrow for the paritineal (sp?) dialysis.
This has all been so crazy!!!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #32
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Paula, I have been keeping up with this thread but haven't posted lately. I just want you to know you are all in my prayers.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:47 AM   #33
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Hi Paula...sorry I haven't seen this thread for awhile. My Mom has never had the SLED dialysis, this is the first I've heard of it. My Mom is on peritoneal where she can do it at home at night while she sleeps. She usually hooks up at 8 PM and unhooks around 5 or 6 AM.

You'll probably find all the information overwhelming, but it really is very simple to do. The main thing is to keep the exit site clean and to ALWAYS maintain sanitary conditions while hooking up and unhooking. If he was to get an infection, it can be very painful. Mom had peritonitis and had to have her abdominal cath removed and go on hemodialysis for a little over a month. She hated it with a passion. After her peritonitis healed, they put a new cath back in and she has been doing great.

Please feel free to ask anything you like....If you would like my phone number just PM me.

Last edited by Janet; 08-21-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #34
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

My prayers are going out for all of you.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #35
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Still thinking of you
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #36
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Praying for better days for your dad.. Hugs to you my friend..
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #37
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Hugs, Paula. I'm praying that your Dad gets better.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #38
paula1961

Hi everyone! Daddy had the surgery for the cath in his abdomen for the peritoneal dialysis. The surgery went fine. Now they are waiting for the incision to seal before it can be used.....so.....he's still in the hospital but doing pretty fair. In three days, they got 44 pounds of fluid off of him. The dialysis staff said they had never gotten that much fluid off a patient before.
Janet the SLED dialysis is used for critically ill patients. It lasts over 10 hrs
I'm going back down there tomorrow and will be back home Sat if all is well. Thanks for your continued prayers.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #39
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Thanks for the update, Paula. I bet that your Dad will feel much better with that fluid off!! I'm praying that all goes well with everything else and he gets to go home soon!! I miss you being one here!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #40
paula1961

Thanks Diana! He is still in the hospital and he is doing pretty fair right now. They are doing dialysis every two hours. Been doing that since yesterday. I talked to him as we were leaving Lexington earlier today and he said that he felt pretty good. That's all we can hope for right now...that he is not suffering and is able to talk and even give us a little chuckle once in a while.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #41
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
That's great news Paula. He will feel so much better without all that fluid. We have to keep a close eye on Mom's weight and blood pressure so we know what size fluid to use. Once he gets the hang of it....it won't be so bad.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #42
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing better! You all must be so relieved!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #43
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Glad to hear everything is coming along fine
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #44
paula1961

Dad got to go home from the hospital on Sat. He had dialysis that day at the hospital before he was sent home.
I came home on Sat. He had to be back in Lexington to the dialysis clinic this morning. He did well. He seems to be gaining some strength back too..which is wonderful.
His cath for paritineal(sp?) didn't leak...so his dialysis will be done at home tonight for the first time. My brother is there and I will be going back tomorrow. I usually go on Wed and stay till Fri or Sat.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #45
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
thats such good news, so glad he got to come home finally and praying that he continues to get stronger each day!!
I hope you are taking care of yourself Paula, it gets pretty exhausting trying to care for our parents. how far do you have to travel to get to your dads?
Get some rest please!!