4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > The Positive Forum!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #31
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Texas is so hot! 80's are okay, but 90's is too much! I hope you get a cool spell soon.

Our fall foliage reached its peak about a week ago. I didn't have my camera, so I began taking it withme, but it rained a lot. Then the bridge was closed so I couldn't get on the mountain roads where I wanted to take pix the one sunny day. Too bad! There was one day when I was really dazzled by the beauty. It was as if the hills were on fire with color! I am so lucky to be able to see this every year.

Once it rains for several days the leaves fall off the trees, and now it is getting cold at night. It has hit almost freezing a couple of nights. Today is beautiful - in the 40's and sunny. I am going to meet Jessie and the kids at the school for an Octoberfest.

I still have those pool towels in the back of my car! I think it is time to bring them in!

I have a house full of plants, and I have to be sure the windows are shut tight at night so they make it through the winter! My cousin takes her fuscia in and it grows all winter on her porch. Maybe mine will too.

Linds, you are the perfect person to live in Canada, loving the snow the way you do! I bet your house will be beautiful for Christmas.

Janet, I think you should make it really festive for Christmas this year.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #32
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I bet the trees have been beautiful, Judy. I would have loved to have seen some pictures. We just have a tree here and there that turns red.....not whole mountains!! It's pretty in it's own way but I'm sure not as pretty as what you get to see!!

We're raining today. We need it to fill the pond.....it's been about 5 feet low since summer. The pond by the house has a good area that drains in it and it fills easily when we get a good rain so hopefully this will help some. This afternoon the weather is suppose to be really bad. They're talking tornadoes........? All it takes is warm air and cold air so maybe.......? I guess we'll see.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #33
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Judy, I think I like the snow just because I grew up with it I just have so many memories of having so much fun in the winter growing up, building snow forts and sledding down the big hill in my front yard with my brother! Scott loves to snowboard and I'd say I'm still a beginner even though I've been trying for about 10 years lol. I do have my own snowboard, boots, and bindings, but it is just not so much fun for me because I normally leave with sore and twisted ankles and knees, sore wrists, and bruises on my butt! I am also terrified of the chair lifts lol.

Today is supposed to be a bit warmer so we are trying to tidy up the yard for winter. I am going to take out the rest of the garden, and Scott is currently putting away our deck furniture and our solar post cap lights and the rattan ball lights in the tree! Might as well get it all done before it's too cold.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #34
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Diana, It's either droughts or floods! I hope those tornados don't come!

Linds, do you keep your plants growing in the winter? (inside, not in the snow!)

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #35
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Nope! We just put out a few flower pots during the summer, but they all die by fall anyway because I'm not great at flowers lol. I am keeping my tomatoes inside by the back door right now and they seem to still be growing, so I'll keep them until I get all the tomatoes, and then I'll put those planters out in the shed too. I enjoy not having to worry about plants all winter lol Scott put a vase with bamboo on my desk at work on my birthday in June this year, and I am amazed that they are still alive lol! I am just awful at keeping things alive indoors. Bamboo is pretty easy, and I've killed them before too

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 10-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #36
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Here is the last of my garden, fresh out of the soil!

I am not sure what to do with the parsnip. I've only ever used it in soup, but we just had homemade soup and still have some frozen in the freezer! Any ideas of what else I can use it in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121013_150754.jpg (193.9 KB, 4 views)

Old 10-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I've never eaten parsnips so I don't have a clue what to do with them. It's funny that you say you are terrified of the ski lifts. When I went to Colorado this summer with two friends, I couldn't wait to go to the top of the mountain on the lifts. My friends went half way up with me then chickened out on going to the top. I've never known anyone but you and them who were afraid to go up the lifts.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #38
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Gayle, when I was little, there was a show on TV called Rescue 911. I watched it all the time with my parents. There was one story about a guy who was on a ski lift, and he somehow fell and was left dangling from it. Scott, and most people I know, don't put down the bar that holds you in (and I admit, it is really uncomfortable with a snowboard attached to one foot). But I always make him put it down because I am just terrified that I am going to fall. I'm on a little seat 30 feet above ground and one wrong move and I'd fall off lol. I'm just always thinking of things going wrong like that!

On the other hand, I love gondola lifts to the tops of mountains It feels different when I am enclosed!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

LOL! Lindsey that is funny. I think you were traumatized by that show. I never feel like I'm going to fall off and in Colorado you can go over some extraordinarily deep canyons.

On a weather note, we got some rain over the weekend, so it is a little cooler in the mronings and evenings, but still in the upper 80's during the day. We are supposed to have another cool front on Thursday, I think, and maybe stay in the low 80's for a few days. We should cool off into the 70's in another couple of weeks.

Judy, wish I could see the trees change color. I've only seen it once. We traveled to Boston in early October and then rented a car and drove up to New Hampshire. I have never seen such beautiful trees. It was simply amazing. I wish I could see that every fall. Someday I'm going to take a trip to the northeast in the fall, just to see the foliage. Last year we were in Colorado when the aspens changed to a brilliant gold. It was amazing. But the color palate of the north east is just so gorgeous!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #40
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Well, I think the fall weather is mostly over. All the leaves are gone from the trees here and it looks so bare. We've had some rain so everything looks dirty and muddy. It's been cold, but due to be in the 60's this weekend..hopefully it will be. I know colder weather will come and it usually brings some snow.

As much as I hate snow, I wish I could be out east helping in some way.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #41
DianaB

Lindsey, do you only snowboard? or do you ski too? I would think that the skis would help you move easier than the snowboard. There's nothing wrong with wanting the bar down when you're riding on the lift. It can be a long way down in some places. I used to love to ski......years ago but I'm not in shape anymore and too heavy to ski easily. My knees just couldn't do it now.

There's some snow out west.....I thought that maybe we'd get some but I think it's too far north and we're just getting rain. I hope we get more than last year.

Janet, our trees still have some leaves but they're coming down quickly! They do have a little color but I'm sure it's nothing ike what Judy has. I would so love to go to the northeast in the fall!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #42
highlans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
Here is the last of my garden, fresh out of the soil!

I am not sure what to do with the parsnip. I've only ever used it in soup, but we just had homemade soup and still have some frozen in the freezer! Any ideas of what else I can use it in?
I roast them, boil in salted water for a few minutes drain cover in oil and put in hot oven until golden.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #43
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlans View Post
I roast them, boil in salted water for a few minutes drain cover in oil and put in hot oven until golden.
Thank you! That sounds delicious! I still have tons in my fridge, so I'm going to try this!

Diana, I used to ski when I was little and I hated it! The skis always got crossed and I'd twist my knees and fall lol. I haven't tried again since I was about 10 years old.

We got a winter storm last night and it is still coming down. I'd say we have over a foot of snow so far. I shoveled the deck off when we got home last night because I couldn't open the door and the dogs had to go pee! By the time I got a path across the deck, down the steps, and down the sidewalk, I came back to the door and there was already about half an inch of snow where I had shoveled 10 minutes before! This morning there's no use even trying to open the door - we had to take the dogs through the garage and out that door.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #44
DianaB

I bet it was so pretty!! I love seeing the snow!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #45
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
It snowed like the dickens on Monday. There was a little left on the ground but by afternoon it was gone. Okay...we've had snow. Now it's time for the 70's again...lol

The cold has set in and it's been in the 20 and 30's of a morning so I have to make sure I plug the bus in. I don't mind the cold as long as the wind isn't blowing. Got a little tired of the heat of summer, but don't want the frigid cold of winter either. Now where can I move to have mild weather?