4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > My Pictures & Videos!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #31
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Gayle, I bought more plants today, and got them potted. Now all together I have:
  • Two patio tomatoes, already blooming and since I bought them on Monday have already put on tomatoes. One of the plants came with one tiny tomato already on it.
  • 2 eggplants together in one pot, that's how they were growing
  • 4 zucchini plants (2 per pot, as they were growing)
  • 1 rosemary plant (I love lemon rosemary chicken.)
  • 1 sweet basil
I ran out of pots. Rex is going to get his painters to save me a couple of 5 gallon paint buckets because I want to have two pots of yellow straightneck squash. I have some cocozelle squash seeds, but I think it's too late to plant seeds. They have the small yellow squash plants at HEB Plus.

I'm mixing 50/50 potting soil and organic compost. I hope that will be a good medium. The compost is supposed to have beneficial microbes, and I'm going to get the liquid seaweed as you suggested. I didn't call the organic nursery today but will try to call tomorrow if they are open on Good Friday.

Can't wait to see how this all turns out. Since I already had the pots & potting soil and got 4 cuft of compost for the price of 2 cuft, this isn't turning out to cost too much after all. The new plants I bought were from HEB Plus and were much less expensive than the ones from Lowes.

If nothing else, I'm having fun experimenting.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #32
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hey Marilyn! That sounds GREAT!!! I hope it works well. I've never tried growing anything but flowers in containers - but the concept "container garden" has been around for quite a while, so I bet they do great! You may have tomatoes before me!!! Mine has set on a few, but I still have mostly blooms! Keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #33
Marilyn

Bought the liquid seaweed this afternoon. Still waiting on the paint buckets. The painter saved them but someone moved them and he couldn't find them. Rex told him to just save some more.

Here is a pic of my garden and some close up's of my tomatoes. I'm anxious to see what happens after a few days of the liquid seaweed. The directions say to use it once per week. I was thinking of twice while the plants are getting started. It's supposed to rain this weekend, so we'll see.

DSC_0030.jpg DSC_0031.jpg DSC_0032.jpg

It's nothing like yours, Gayle, but it took very little time to put this together. I need to get some of those cheap clear plastic drip trays to put under the pots. I'm always short on those.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 04-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #34
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

MARILYN! Your garden look GREAT!!! Your tomatoes (fruit) is bigger than mine, especially since a squirrel (I think) bit off the stem with the set on tomatoes!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #35
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Your little "garden" looks great, Marilyn!!! You'll be picking tomatoes in no time!!! Cool!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #36
Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
MARILYN! Your garden look GREAT!!! Your tomatoes (fruit) is bigger than mine, especially since a squirrel (I think) bit off the stem with the set on tomatoes!!!
Thank you, Gayle, but I bought my plants a lot farther along than yours were. I was looking at the tomatoes this morning, and there are not new blooms on them, but they do look heathy and like they are growing. Hopefully once they are settled into their new home they will get going.

So sorry to hear about the squirrel episode. We are in such a new neighborhood (about 12 or so years old) that we really don't have squirrels yet. Being new though and on the edge of town, we do have things like armadillos and skunks. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
Your little "garden" looks great, Marilyn!!! You'll be picking tomatoes in no time!!! Cool!!
Thank you, Diana. I sure hope I'll be picking tomatoes. We'll see how it goes. I'm doing all I know to do to make it successful, but it's an experiment. I saw people growing tomatoes in smaller containers on roof tops in Germany, but our climate is way different here. Fingers crossed!!!

Rex laughs at me when I tell him I'm going out to check on the "garden". LOL
Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #37
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post

Rex laughs at me when I tell him I'm going out to check on the "garden". LOL

Everyday when I get home I look at (my) Rex & Rowdy and say, "Let's go check the garden" and they are out the door before I can turn that direction!!! LOL!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #38
Marilyn

I have to carry my Zoe to see the garden since we have no fence. She's too ferrocious for her own good and there are some big dogs in the neighborhood that are loose sometimes, but she enjoys the outing!!

Plants don't need watering, so I spritzed them with liquid seaweed today.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #39
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Ladies your garden looks great!

I wish I had a green thumb I have enough property about a quarter of an acre. But I don't plant , flowers or veggies.. I should take the time and learn. When I have my hubby plant flowers they soon die , I guess you do have to water and feed.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #40
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Ladies your garden looks great!

I wish I had a green thumb I have enough property about a quarter of an acre. But I don't plant , flowers or veggies.. I should take the time and learn. When I have my hubby plant flowers they soon die , I guess you do have to water and feed.

Gina, you should get your husband to build you a raised bed for flowers or vegetables, and then follow the square foot gardening technique. http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ It is so easy and I know you would be successful, if you uhmmmmmm..... WATER it