4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #31
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

they really worked her out today at rehab!!! They are not playing games there, I tell ya. They had her walk to the bathroom (not the bedside commode) with the walker, do her business by herself, and then walk back to the bed. Of course, she was supervised, but not assisted. She did it, but I know it was hard. She was completely tired out when she finished, but she did it. It will get easier every day, I know it and so does she.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 AM   #32
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
So glad to hear your mom is doing better, i know it must be so painful for her but hopefully the end result will be little to no pain at all....Lynne
Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 AM   #33
Tiramisu

She's a Champion
Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #34
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm cheering your Mom on.......

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #35
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #36
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

She is great! She has such a strong will. Bless her heart.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #37
lynne b

Gayle, hows your mom doing with the rehab? i hope she's doing good, she'll be dancing out there before you know it.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #38
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hi Lynne and All,
My daughter felt that mom was getting a little depressed and she was not eating well - and the food was not all that appealing either. We were basically taking her 3 meals a day - it was quite a chore running back and forth. So, Brooke decided to bring her home.

She had a doc appt yesterday morning, so Brooke went up and checked her out before the appt. They said she had made great progress (and she had) and that it was fine for her to go home. In fact, we had the choice of inpatient or out patient rehab, so she could have been home the full time - but going to rehab for a week was really good for her mobility.

Things went great yesterday during the day, she is getting around very well. But toward the evening she started to show some confusion. I thought she was probably dehydrated and we started getting her to drink and the confusion cleared up, pretty much.

But during the night, she was up and down all night and sometimes she would use the bedside commode and sometimes she walked into the bathroom (which she was not supposed to do at night because she has to go up and down a small step to and from the bathroom.

My daughter tends to over dramatize things so when she called me this morning, you would have though the world was coming to the end. And in fact, mom was pretty confused this morning - again, some dehydration from overnight - and just from changing environments - even though it was changing to home. I know that older people have increased confusion when their enviornment changes - so I wasn't too surprised, although I did think her mental confusion would probably be pretty mild. She's very clear and sharp normally.

Today during the day Brooke kept telling me about how she was saying odd things. She wanted to take a shower and Brooke wanted me there when she got her in the shower (she is able to shower herself sitting in her shower chair). Brooke said she asked her a dozen times if she could get into the shower and didn't seem to remember that Brooke said they had to wait for me. Again, Brooke dramatizes things, so not sure how many times she actually asked.

We got her in and out of the shower with no problems and she was absolutely fine and clear as a bell the whole time I was there (go figure). Brooke knows that she can do it herself now - but will always wait till her husband is in the house, just in case.

Home health will come tomorrow - not sure what all they will be doing beside physical therapy. I told Brooke if mom is up and down all night again tonight, to ask for a sitter for a night or two. I think her mental status will clear up in a day or two, but a nighttime sitter would give Brooke lots of peace of mind!

Anyway, it sounds worse that it really is - I think things will be fine in a day or so. Mom's mobility is great and she says her knee feels better than it did before surgery - so we are making progress on that end, at least!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #39
DianaB

I know that with you being a nurse that you'll make sure that your Mom has the best of care. I think that it's great that you understand all that's going on with her. I'd probably be the same way that Brooke is!! I'm glad to hear that your Mom's home. She'll be back to herself in a day or two, I'm sure.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #40
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks for the encouraging words Diana! She's been better late this afternoon and is still clear and doing well here at 10:30PM. I just talked to Brooke and she said he helped her get dressed for bed and into bed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she sleeps better tonight than last night!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #41
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

So hope that the confusion is a thing of the past now. It's great that you do have an understanding of what is going on. I, too, would probably be like Brooke and be overly concerned.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #42
lynne b

Gayle, I am glad to hear that your mom is home and i know she will get the best care possible from both you & your daughter. I wish i had had that option with my mom. Hopefully she will be back to herself in a very short time, and it great that you being a nurse, you know what to look for and what to do. I know you helped me so much with my mom and i am forever greatful to you. Thank you and keep us updated on your mom's progress.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #43
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Mom had a really good night - she used the bedside commode like she was supposed to and she is very clear this morning so I think we are past the troublesome times.

Home health is doing her intake assessment this morning and she qualifies for nursing care (for a little while at least). They will monitor her blood pressure - it has been fluctuating - low one day and high the next. We have an automatic cuff and have been monitoring it and holding her blood pressure meds when it was low. Now, the nurses will be responsible for doing that. Mom also has a bladder infection (just before she left rehab) and the home health nurses will do the repeat urinalysis and call the docs. YAY - we won't have to take her to the doc for that followup. They will also help her with a shower every other day and then physical therapy will work with her too.

YAY YAY YAY!! Things are looking up up up!!!

My daughter is much calmer today. They are planning to go to Luby's (a cafeteria) for lunch. Mom needs to walk some and it's too hot to walk outside, so they decided walking from the car to the cafeteria line, through the line and to the table and then back to the car would be good for her. Plus, both Brooke and mom will be able to get out of the house. Brooke has not been able to leave the house since mom got home and she gets really antsy when she can't get out. She'll be able to leave mom for short periods of time, in a day or so, when we are confident that the cobwebs have cleared from her brain!

Lynne, I know we are very lucky to be able to have mom at home and I know you would too, if you could. If not for my daughter, who is not working right now (well she is working at home - taking care of her two year old!), we couldn't do this. I work and could not take off enough time to do all this for mom. We are very very lucky!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #44
DianaB

Good news!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #45
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I was over there this evening, Gary and I went over for a good old cornbread, pinto beans & ham, and fried tater supper (yes, I said supper, not dinner ) Mom was really tired, but I think that is good because hopefully, she will sleep better tonight! She continues to improve and my daughter is feeling that she can handle all of this!