4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Polls

View Poll Results: Spank?
Yes, I believe in spanking. 25 67.57%
No, I do not believe in spanking. 9 24.32%
Spanking is a form of discipline. 13 35.14%
Spanking is a form of abuse 2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Kimberley

Question TO SPANK OR NOT TO SPANK! That is the question

Do you believe in spanking your children? Why or why not? Do you believe that spanking is a form of discipline or is it abuse?

If you do not believe in spanking, what alternative methods have you used to correct a child and was it successful?

btw...you can choose more than 1 option.
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Kimberley

I was spanked as a child. At times, one could say it was abuse.

When I spank my children (like once or twice a year), they get 3 swats on the butt. Then, I go to my room and cry. I hate spanking but at the same time, if they did something severly wrong, they needed to learn.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
ice queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberley
I was spanked as a child. At times, one could say it was abuse.

When I spank my children (like once or twice a year), they get 3 swats on the butt. Then, I go to my room and cry. I hate spanking but at the same time, if they did something severly wrong, they needed to learn.
my mom used to whale the s*** out of me but i guess that is just her generation raised her. i'm like you my kids don't get spanked hardly at all but sometimes i whap 'em on their butt ans send them to their room to think about what they have done....my hubby spanks them more than i used too and we used to get in knock-out drag-out fights over that but he gets them more with the tone of his voice than anything
Old 09-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Khristine

This was quite hard for me to choose.. i haven't chosen yet actually..

but i was "spanked" so to speak when I was younger.. actually as i remember it, we got spanked not with our parents hands but with my dad's belt buckles.

and as i turned into my teen years like 13ish and was such a rebel.. i once went out with my friends to the mall and came home late and i got my ass handed to me.. literally.. my mom beat the crap out of me..

was it a form of disapline? to my parents yes because that's how they were raised in the phillipines.. but to me of course it was abuse.

my parents after that incident have never layed one finger on me ever after that though..

i dont think hitting your children with belt buckles, shoes and stuff is right at all.. i dont think i could ever hit Tianna.. but then again she's a baby right now and shes such an angel! lol

but i do remember getting slapped inthe booty when i did something bad like steal candy or something and i think i deserved that... i actually learned from that lol.. so i guess it all depends?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I voted no, because i don't think spanking teaches them anything.
I prefer to sit down and talk, ask questions to find out where that behaviour is coming from.
I was spanked when i was young, and i swore i wouldnt do that to my kids, it's very humiliating.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:03 AM   #6
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I was spanked as a child and it didn't make me nuts or anything. I believe if it's a spank with no anger behind it, then it's fine.

I remember when I was very little, I rode my little orange pedal jet way down the street. I mean a good 15-20 houses down the street. I turned around to come back and I saw my Mom coming with switch in hand. All I could do was stand there shuffling from foot to foot, because I knew if I ran I would get it even worse. I had boundaries where I could ride my pedal jet and I never forgot them after that day. Yes my mother spanked us and used a tree switch with the leaves on the end so it would sting. She didn't have to use those tactics often, because we learned. Never ever thought of it as abuse while growing up, because I knew I was loved in spite of. My father never did the discipline and since my mother was a small woman, I guess that's the only way she knew to deal with us.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:54 AM   #7
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I don't believe in spanking, though I use to threaten my kids with a big wooden spoon, in which my MIL supplied...lol I would take the spoon out and pretend I was going to hit their butts with it and they would listen. Actually when I was a kid I was always spanked on the butt. I grew up ok but I think that spanking doesn't resolve anything. I am a firm believer in punishment , going to their room, taking something away or just time out. Let them know they are doing something wrong and they have to be reprimanded. Actually I was a softie , I yelled mostly but hey my kids turned out pretty well today, they are 19and 21 yr. old and are doing well in college and never gave me any problems.. Thank God....
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:57 AM   #8
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

My daughters were not spanked very much. We spanked when the offense was severe and needed to be handled on the spot with immediate, memorable punishment. We were unsure what was best, so we preferred to discuss with them what they did and punish them by taking something away for a while, a toy or a privaledge. Surprisingly, our daughters say we were too easy on them and should have spanked them more. Go figure, did not expect them to feel this way.

I was spanked as a child, and it sure kept me in line. I didn't want to not spank due to Proverbs 13:24 "He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly."

All punishment no matter the form, should be given because we love, not out of anger.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #9
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn
I was spanked as a child, and it sure kept me in line. I didn't want to not spank due to Proverbs 13:24 "He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly."

All punishment no matter the form, should be given because we love, not out of anger.
Marilyn, I love how you can justify everything you do from the Bible. I really admire you for that. I feel the same exact way as you do about everything on this board so far, and it is because I believe in the Bible. I was spanked as a child per Proverbs 13:24. I am not a mother yet, but when I am, I will punish my children, but if other forms of punishment (i.e. time out, taking things away, ect.) do not work, then I will resort to spanking because bad behavior needs to be punished.
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
Kimberley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC12345678
Marilyn, I love how you can justify everything you do from the Bible. I really admire you for that. I feel the same exact way as you do about everything on this board so far, and it is because I believe in the Bible. I was spanked as a child per Proverbs 13:24. I am not a mother yet, but when I am, I will punish my children, but if other forms of punishment (i.e. time out, taking things away, ect.) do not work, then I will resort to spanking because bad behavior needs to be punished.
I agree with you! Marilyn, keep those bible verses coming!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
My son is 15 now (16 in Dec.) and I can count on one hand the number of times he's been spanked. And even then it wasn't very hard, more of an attention getter. One thing I never did was put his time out in his room. That would be like sending him to Disney for punishment. No he had to sit in the hallway and think about what he had done. He was and is such a great young man and I'm so proud of him. He's only 15 and is working on his Eagle badge for Boy Scouts.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #12
Ellen

As a child I was BEATEN so bad that I would BLEED, I would wear a pair of jeans to school and the blood would get on them so I got it again I have been beat with a broom, saw my brothers hit with water hoses oh lord all the hell we my brothers and sister went thourgh as children. When I made up my mine not to cry when I got hit it just made it worse,I made up my mind NOT to spank my children and I haven't I would go outside when their father spank them and I would cry harder then they would, for many years this has when on. My daughter is out of the house and works 40 hours a week (but she hates me) My son thinks I can't do anything right he also hates me. My children does not repect me, but I still couldn't spank them if they where small again.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
BabyNicole

I was wacked in the butt, but never beaten. It startled me, and I knew my mom and dad were mad at me. I don't have kids now, but I wouldn't think twice about tapping them in the a**.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #14
Taurus Babe

I'm surprised at how many people spank! I know it's a great debate, but I was still surprise!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #15
Amber_lv

I spank but not beat and i don't abuse but damn sometimes they need a little swat to snap them out of the mode their in!
Amber_lv is offline   Reply With Quote