4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I have a leaky heart valve

I went to a nurse practitioner today who has been highly recommended. She did a really thorough discussion of my health history and examination.

My reason for going is because I don't have the energy I'm used to having. She discovered a heart murmur, which she said was a "leaky valve." She said they are common as you get older. I have to go for all kinds of cardiac tests, a blood test, and the usual gyn tests.

I am really nervous about the leaky valve. My mother had mitral stenosis, open heart surgery, and was very sick with rheumatic fever. I don't have anything like that, but I looked online - a big mistake! - and see a lot of talk about surgically replacing the valve.

I'm going to schedule the tests tomorrow. I hope I get an appointment right away. I want to know what's up.

I'm not sure I'm going to tell Jessie until I know more. I don't want her to panic.
If I get too nervous though, I will tell her.

I have always been amazingly healthy, and have no idea what it is to be anything but strong and healthy. I used to have terrible headaches, but they weren't known to cause any other damage but pain.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Judy, I so hope that it's not serious, and if it is, that it's easily treatable. It's always scary when it involves the heart. There is so much they can do today though, and you have access to the best medical care in NYC. You will be in our prayers.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Dear Judy,
Leaky valves can be nothing serious or they can need fixing, but please do not stress about it till you know more.

I'm betting that your mom had rheumatic fever before she developed the valve problem, correct? Rheumatic fever damages the valve, so if she had the fever before she developed valve problems, that is what caused it.

Or if she had a leaky valve and then had rhumatic fever, that is what made her valve problem worse. Almost everyone who has rheumatic fever has valve problems and if they get old enough, they need to be fixed.

So, try not to worry, till you know more!
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Dear Judy,
Leaky valves can be nothing serious or they can need fixing, but please do not stress about it till you know more.

I'm betting that your mom had rheumatic fever before she developed the valve problem, correct? Rheumatic fever damages the valve, so if she had the fever before she developed valve problems, that is what caused it.

Or if she had a leaky valve and then had rhumatic fever, that is what made her valve problem worse. Almost everyone who has rheumatic fever has valve problems and if they get old enough, they need to be fixed.

Judy listen to our nurse!!! She is wonderful and comforting... I am sure its nothing but it is best to check.. I will say a prayer for good results ...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Judy...as always my friend, you are in my prayers. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much until you know more. I hope the Drs. can see you right away to help ease your mind.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Judy, I have Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP), which is a leaky valve. Most people don't have any trouble with it and others eventually have to have it replaced. I can understand what you mean about the tiredness. I have other health issues that factor in and I go through spells of being extremely tired. I was really worried when I was first diagnosed with it but I try not to worry about it anymore. A lot of people live with this condition with no problems.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Judy, I will be praying for you. Hope you get your tests results quickly.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Judy, I'm sorry you're nervous. I agree with Gayle that you shouldn't worry until you know more. Maybe you'll have all those tests and then the doctor will tell you everything is fine. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Dear Judy,

My Mom had untreated strep as a child, which led to rheumatic fever, and then heart damage. . She had surgery, but the rheumatic fever really did her in, and she smoked on top of it. She actually died from emphysema. I allowed her doctor to do an autopsy on her heart since she was one of the first to have open heart surgery. He also had kept her alive for over 20 years. He told me that there wasn't enough heart tissue to examine! What a will to live she had.

I know I don't have anything similar, but because of my experience with my mother, the whole idea frightens me. I have also only been in a hospital once as an in-patient, and that was to have a baby.

Jessie is coming with me, and I'm lucky that I have an appointment on 4/27.

I'm still scared, but I'm not going to panic. I just need to know what's up so that I can deal with it. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur years ago, and went right to my Mom's cardiologist. He told me that I do not have a heart murmur, and that the doctor's stethescope was probably broken. My internist also listened to my heart every time I went, and never found anything wrong. I was there less than a year ago. I know I haven't been walking around with something that can damage my heart for a long time.

Anyway, I don't even want to have to take medication. She also told me my BP was a bit high - 130/62. I don't think that's high enough to worry about.

I think I'm so low energy because I'm anemic. My bottom eyelids are not showing any red.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

You may have a murmur that comes and goes. actually one that can be heard sometimes and not heard at other times. (i'm using my daughter's netbook computer and the shift key is too hard to use, so no caps). that kind of murmur is not at all serious.

they will likely do an ekg, and an echocardiogram. neither are invasive and don't take much time. you'll do fine.

i agree with yoou, your lack of energy is likely anmeia rather than anything heart related.

any blood pressure that is consistenly above 120 (on the top number) (and above 80 on the bottom number) is cause for concern and should be treated. the word consistantly is the key. you should get an automatic bp cuff and take it at home 2-3 times a day and see what it is over time. it has been suggested that high blood pressure, even a little high, can damage the white matter of our brain (among other things) and cause mental changes as we age. they wont treat a bp of 130/70 unlesss the top number stays above 120 all the time

Last edited by gja1000; 04-17-2009 at 03:43 PM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
You may have a murmur that comes and goes. actually one that can be heard sometimes and not heard at other times. (i'm using my daughter's netbook computer and the shift key is too hard to use, so no caps). that kind of murmur is not at all serious.

they will likely do an ekg, and an echocardiogram. neither are invasive and don't take much time. you'll do fine.

i agree with yoou, your lack of energy is likely anmeia rather than anything heart related.

any blood pressure that is consistenly above 120 (on the top number) (and above 80 on the bottom number) is cause for concern and should be treated. the word consistantly is the key. you should get an automatic bp cuff and take it at home 2-3 times a day and see what it is over time. it has been suggested that high blood pressure, even a little high, can damage the white matter of our brain (among other things) and cause mental changes as we age. they wont treat a bp of 130/70 unlesss the top number stays above 120 all the time
Thanks Gayle. I should have taken a BP cuff when I retired from teaching! We had some in the science room. I'll see if the drug store has a cuff.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm so sorry that you are having problems! Remember that your blood pressure might be a little high due to the stress of the situation. Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

The drugstore should have a cuff, for sure. I just bought a manual cuff at walgreens for 15.00. If you don't know how to take a bp manually, then get an automatic cuff. It will cost a little more. It is something everyone should have just to check their own bp every now and then, or frequently, if there is a problem.

Many people have white coat syndrome, where the bp is higher in the office, even in the absence of stress or anxiety - we have no clue why it happens to some people. Others are stressed and anxious about being in the dr. office.

Anyway, if you think you might be having a bp problem, then you should be checking it at home. High blood pressure can cause so many problems, and it is so easily treated!!!
Old 04-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #14
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Try not to panic, there is so much they can do these days, i hope you get results soon, it will ease your mind.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers always!!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

Judy you will be in my prayers. When I first suspected I had cancer I went online and that is one reason I didn't go to the doctor. I really thought it was hopeless so I have learned not to rely on the internet for medical information. Maybe this will be simple to treat and you will feel better soon.