4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

My life lately!

I thought I'd start another post in the general forum to update about my life lately Some of you know I've been posting pregnancy belly photos in the private area for donating members, but I just realized Diane W is not a donating member so she can't see what's going on! I don't feel comfortable posting every week's photos here but I will do it once in a while, so I'll put this week's here to start I've attached a photo of me taken yesterday, 18 weeks pregnant!

A couple of weeks ago, I went to New Orleans for my cousin's wedding. It was.... interesting lol. I am VERY glad I didn't go earlier in pregnancy when I wasn't feeling well, because I probably would have been throwing up and not eating for the week. The smells were awful! Not all the time, of course, but as we walked through the French Quarter, there would just be little pockets of strong smells of vomit, or urine, or some rotten-milk kind of smells. At first I thought it was my hyper-sensitive sense of smell from pregnancy, until my cousin's husband mentioned "There's some interesting smells around here, huh?" lol. I also had to get used to brushing my teeth with warm tap water, which I'm not used to so it was uncomfortable for me! Normally when I turn on the cold tap, it's cold. But not in Louisiana! There, it's just less hot lol! The wedding was generally good though, and I was able to fit into my bridesmaid dress so it all worked out

Scott and I did a road trip through Louisiana afterwards. I'm a huge fan of Britney Spears, so we went to her hometown of Kentwood and it was NOT how I imagined it! I thought it would be this quaint cute little town, but it was extremely run-down and the businesses were all closed and boarded up, there was graffiti, trash everywhere... The high school had big chain-link fencing all the way around with huge signs saying "GUN AND DRUG FREE ZONE" which was pretty weird to me because schools here are not fenced and gated, and there are definitely no signs about guns or anything lol. It was like stepping into a different world! We also found the museum, which is half dedicated to Britney, but it was closed that Saturday. There was a poster of Britney, circa-2000ish, taped to the window, but half falling off.

We made our way to West Monroe to visit the Duck Commander warehouse from Duck Dynasty Monroe and West Monroe are gorgeous! I loved it there! We had a free day so we did a lot of shopping Oh and we Googled where the families from Duck Dynasty live, and drove through their neighborhood (but the road they live on was private, so we couldn't go there.) There was a house down the street for sale, so I looked it up online when we got back to the hotel, and it was priced below what we paid for our house, but it was a mansion lol! We joked about moving there, but we'd miss snow!

We went through Baton Rouge on our way back to New Orleans, and everything there was closed too. We saw the state capitol though, and went up to the observation deck thing. It was pretty cool!

In all, everyone was SO friendly there. Every time we mentioned we were from Canada, they'd say in that awesome southern drawl "you're sure a long way from home!" haha

Anyways, since we've been home we're trying to get our house renovations done. Scott is finally motivated to do more in the evenings. We got our yard all winterized because snow can come at any time! And I'm just trying to take care of myself and go to work every day and get things done!

We will be going to Mexico for my brother's wedding in another 4 weeks. I'm not even really looking forward to it, because we've decided to take Layla to a kennel. Scott's parents don't care for her very well, and my family is going to Mexico, so we have no options. I'm worried about her being in good care there, because the owner hasn't ever expressed before (but is willing to learn) and there is a vet tech but she only comes in Tuesdays-Fridays. Layla will be there 9 days total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131008_071749.jpg (194.4 KB, 16 views)

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe

Last edited by Lindsey; 10-09-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Lindsey you are so cute girlfriend.

I thought everyone knew Louisiana was bad for the most part. When Hurricane Katrina hit them most of them had to come to Houston. I am telling you that was horrible. I work at a store and we had the highest stolen inventory ever. When they were issued a credit card so they could buy items, clothes, shoes, ext... they sure would but they bought clubing outfits and stiletto shoes.

Don't get me wrong, they are many friendly and humble people but the ones we received had no manners. I do have many friends from there so I hope people don't think I'm saying all of them.

I've been to New Orleans and night time at Baton Rouge is interesting. I feel you about the smell I did travel to the small towns and boy was food cheap and delicious. I would not hesitate going back to the small towns.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I followed your travels on FB, but I'm glad you posted a more informative summary here. Yes, it is very friendly in the south, and I like that a lot about living in the south. I'm glad you had a good time and saw some interesting and pretty places. I know what you mean about the smells in NO, there's just no place like it. There is still so much damage from Katrina, it is really sad. NO is a very unique place, that's for sure!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

It's a place that was cool to see once, but I probably won't go back! My cousin and her husband LOVED it though. It was my cousin's first time ever outside of Canada, ever on an airplane, ever really anywhere. But they are already planning to go back in January. I'm not sure why they don't expand their views and try going other places, but apparently they love it in New Orleans!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 10-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lol! I forgot to comment on the "hot" water from the faucet. Yes, that is the case in the south. When I make pie crust, I have to put a couple of ice cubes in the water to chill it, in order to bind the flour together. The warm water that comes out of the faucet makes a sort of sticky mess! LOL! When I'm up north, the cold water from the faucet hurts my teeth!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Shada

Lindsey you look great!!!!!

Sounds like you had a nice trip. I am so ready for at least a day trip somewhere... never been that far south that area but would hate to see how it is now compared to before. So sad.
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Lol! I forgot to comment on the "hot" water from the faucet. Yes, that is the case in the south. When I make pie crust, I have to put a couple of ice cubes in the water to chill it, in order to bind the flour together. The warm water that comes out of the faucet makes a sort of sticky mess! LOL! When I'm up north, the cold water from the faucet hurts my teeth!!!
Lol Gayle! I told Scott this and we decided it must be that our teeth are used to cold because we eat so much snow as kids hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shada View Post
Lindsey you look great!!!!!

Sounds like you had a nice trip. I am so ready for at least a day trip somewhere... never been that far south that area but would hate to see how it is now compared to before. So sad.
Shada, I wish I could have seen it before too! And thank you!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
DIANE W

Lindsey...... is there no alternatives to kennels for Layla? What i mean is over here in UK, we have people who take in single dogs or maybe a few and look after them in their own homes, like in a way foster them whilst owner is away.

My friend has 2 dobermans and she is besotted with them, she has not had a holiday for years, only odd weekends where her son will take care of them, she cant leave him longer as one of the dogs is a rescue and he frets and gets real upset when they leave him.

Now they found a retired couple who take care of them for her.... the dogs are always fine, live in the home as a family. Such a good idea........... just wondered if you have anything similar.

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Diane, I have a lady who comes and stays at my house with my boys when I leave and can't take them with me. It feels good to have someone at my house when I'm gone too. She works a regular day job, but comes to my house after work and spends the night. So, this is nice extra income for her. It's great that I found her through a friend who knows her. I'm very lucky! Oh and my boys love her. She sends me a picture of them every day and text message updates too.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Diane, we do have that around here, but most people are based in the city and won't travel outside of the city. We live 20 minutes away, and sometimes roads are just too bad to drive in the winter (we normally have tons of snow by November.) And even if we took her to someone's house, nobody wants to take on the responsibility of looking after Layla because it involves having to express her bladder throughout the day. It's not a skill most people have, and it seems nobody is willing to learn!

We actually did just find someone with experience with paraplegic dogs who would do pet sitting at our house, even though we live outside of the city, but it would end up costing us about $450 for the week we're away. It was just too expensive, because she charges a lot for driving out of the city every day.

Scott talked again to the kennel people and they said they are all going to go through training from their one vet tech on staff, so they should all be able to do it. They will try multiple times per day in case they can't get her empty each time. Scott explained how important it was and the owner said he totally understands and will do his very best (he will be doing the late night and early morning expressings). He also said he is not charging us ANYTHING extra for the extra attention because they're learning on her, and it's good for their business to be able to say they can take care of dogs like Layla as well. It made me feel a little better, but I don't think I'll ever be totally comfortable leaving her ANYWHERE!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
DIANE W

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Diane, I have a lady who comes and stays at my house with my boys when I leave and can't take them with me. It feels good to have someone at my house when I'm gone too. She works a regular day job, but comes to my house after work and spends the night. So, this is nice extra income for her. It's great that I found her through a friend who knows her. I'm very lucky! Oh and my boys love her. She sends me a picture of them every day and text message updates too.
Thats really great Gayle, it is worth it for peace of mind, its good to know your dogs like her too.

My Mottos are....

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
DIANE W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
Diane, we do have that around here, but most people are based in the city and won't travel outside of the city. We live 20 minutes away, and sometimes roads are just too bad to drive in the winter (we normally have tons of snow by November.) And even if we took her to someone's house, nobody wants to take on the responsibility of looking after Layla because it involves having to express her bladder throughout the day. It's not a skill most people have, and it seems nobody is willing to learn!

We actually did just find someone with experience with paraplegic dogs who would i do pet sitting at our house, even though we live outside of the city, but it would end up costing us about $450 for the week we're away. It was just too expensive, because she charges a lot for driving out of the city every day.

Scott talked again to the kennel people and they said they are all going to go through training from their one vet tech on staff, so they should all be able to do it. They will try multiple times per day in case they can't get her empty each time. Scott explained how important it was and the owner said he totally understands and will do his very best (he will be doing the late night and early morning expressings). He also said he is not charging us ANYTHING extra for the extra attention because they're learning on her, and it's good for their business to be able to say they can take care of dogs like Layla as well. It made me feel a little better, but I don't think I'll ever be totally comfortable leaving her ANYWHERE!
I think she will be just fine, its us that worry so much about them isnt it?

My Harvey is such a mummys boy, i couldnt leave him with anyone, he is bad enough left with my husband or daughter, who he loves a lot............ but he only wants me, we have never had a dog like this, i think its because he is so tiny, he was treated like a baby in a way.
Yet he is not carried everywhere, no he loves his long walks, and i get tired before him, but when we get home, he wants to lie in my arms.

Layla will be fine, and its really nice they are learning about how to take good care of her, bless her.

My Mottos are....

Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I know Layla is much stronger than I am lol! She loves being at the vet hospital even though she is just in a cage there during the day. When we used to take her for rehabilitation a few times a week, she had her very own cage reserved for her. They said she'd "talk" to everyone so they'd all stop to pet her lol. She loved going there, and it broke my heart on the days when I'd hand her off to a tech and she wouldn't even look back at me! She'd just be excited to go down the hall and see everyone. And this kennel will be better than a small cage. She has her own little room with heated floors and we can bring her own bedding and blankets and food and water bowl. I know she'll probably be okay, but I just worry so much!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
DIANE W

I know Lindsey i would be just the same, but reading how Layla is used to being away from you at times, then i think that would definitely make me feel better......... you know she copes fine and quite enjoys it, as i am sure she will at this new place too, i think she will get lots of fuss and attention, and lap it up.

And dont forget she knows from past experience - you are coming back for her

My Mottos are....

Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

That's true, Diane! I'm also hoping we can take her there for doggy daycare for a few days before we leave so she knows where she's going and knows we're coming back.