4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
Ponyup

My poor Logan

I am in tears right now. I never knew a dog could affect me so. I think my little boy, Logan, has Luxating patella. Over the past couple months 3 maybe 4 times Logan would come meet us at the door holding his back left leg up. Since it would go away rather quickly we decided he must of just slept on it funny. Well it's now happened twice this week. It happened last night after he got up from sleeping with my husband, so I researched this morning & he acts like it's LP. I dont' know what to do. I'm so upset. He's so active & athletic, I dont' want him to have these problems. It only happens when he gets up from sleeping. I've never seen it happen when he's running. Plus since he's gotten his shots on tuesday he doesnt' act like himself. He acts like he doesn't feel good & has only wanted to sleep. I think he's depressed, they told me he was too heavy & so I put him on a diet. Plus I took him out the farm & he played really hard after his appointment. But it's been 3 days & he's still not back to his old self. I called the office & his regular vet isn't there today, so I'm going to call her cell once it gets a little later. Please prayer that he's just a little off with the weather changes or something. It could also be that fact that i've been sick & jeremy's been trying to get a job. He's very sensitive to changes in our moods.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Prayers are coming for Logan.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Ponyup

I called my vet. She said him being tired & off is normal for a few days after shots, but nothing to worry about. I have an appointment set for monday for them to look at his leg. I should of had it done tuesday, but since it had only happened a few times, I thought it was nothing.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
There yearly shots affect a couple of mine where they want to lay around all the time, don't want to eat..just act like no energy. The others, it doesn't bother at all. Maybe the shot is affecting his leg too. I hope it's not LP, but some dogs do not get any worse at all and do just fine. Others gradually get worse and need surgery, but I would always get a second opinion for LP surgery. If it's not really necesary, then I would wait.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I hope that you find out that it's nothing. These poor little dogs so much can affect them.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I hope its just the reaction to the shots also. I will keep him in my prayers.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Prayers for you little guy. Hope it is just from the shots.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Hope Logan is feeling better today.

I was just wondering if you attended the Indiana Yorkie Meet-up at Eagle Creek on the 4th? I didn't get to go. I asked for pics on YT, but so far no one has posted any that I know of.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
highlans

When I had my little rob he had this problem on both knees and had to have them opperated on, glad to say all went well and once he recovered was running around great was such a differance.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:13 AM   #10
Ponyup

He got worse on Friday. He was limping pretty bad after everytime he'd lay down. But Sat. he seemed to be feeling better & sunday he hardly limped at all. I got a hold of him sat. morning when he was limping, but couldn't feel anything a miss in his knee, but he acted like his hip was a little sore. So hopefully it's just a pulled muscle or maybe they hit a nerve. We'll find out soon.

Sorry Janet, I didn't get to the meet-up. It's pretty far for us with the current price of gas. However, we did find gas friday night for $2.82.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Ponyup

Back from vet. Logan has mild hip dysplasia & a flattening of the hips. He had an x-ray taken in january for a tummy problem & one taken today. We compared them & the vet said she could see a flattening of the hips & very mild hip dysplasia. My untrained eye couldn't really see a difference. She gave him an anti-inflammatory & told me to limit jumping. I've also read that playing frisbee is bad. I'm going to look into pet steps today. There are acupunturists & chiropractors around, but I don't know if that will help. my vet said I could do it if I wanted. The jist I get though is it won't fix the problem it will just be a form of pain management. My vet seemed shocked that it showed up already being that he is only 3.5 years old. From what I've read this is genetic. Is it weird that it wasn't noticible on the x-ray in January, but is noticable now? Is it possibly injury related not genetic?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I don't know anything about it being an injury vs genetic. But I do know that accupuncture can help the pain. I had an old dog with very very bad hips and arthritis of the hips and the accupuncture really helped him. Also, glucosamine may help some too.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:14 AM   #13
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

How is Logan feeling? Please update us.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:07 AM   #14
Ponyup

Logan is acting totally fine. He's still walking a little funny though. I bought him glucomsamine supplements at petsmart, they happened to be on sale when we were there sat. . I've decided to get my x-rays from the first vet & take them to the other vet in town I see occassionally to see what he thinks. My understand of hip dysplasia is if they are going to have it you can see it pretty early on an x-ray (my mom agrees from her experience with breeding big dogs). So I think the fact that it wasn't there in january, but is there now means it could be injury related which hopefully is fixable.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I hope you're right. Give Logan a hug please.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote