4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Chaos Theory

This post isn't really about chaos theory, per se, but about the chaos around me right now. I've talked to my cousin about this and there does seem to be lots of chaos going on around the world, or maybe I'm just more aware of things right now, I don't know.

Here's a list of things that have happened around me in the past month - it's almost more than I can stand.

1. co-worker developed melanoma of the eye last year - went to the Mayo clinic, got treatment. Then she developed breast cancer. Got treatment. Last month melanoma returned............

2. co-worker thought she had inflammatory breast cancer, the most aggressive and deadly type of breast cancer - the inflammation has responded to antibiotics, so it probably is not - she's not 100% out of the woods yet though......

3. co-worker had surgery this week for an abdominal mass - ovarian cancer, stage one - she'll probably be fine after rigorous chemotherapy, but still......

4. co-worker had a horrible head on car crash this weekend. The other driver died. Thankfully, my friend will survive, but she has massive fractures of pelvis, leg, and ankle. Many weeks/months in the hospital and rehab.....

I know, I know - none of you want to work with me, do you!

5. My 52 year old cousin just called and had to go to the ER today with, what has been diagnosed as, an ovarian cyst - however, it sounds eerily like the symptoms of #3.......

6. And not to mention my husband being in the hospital this week!!!!!

I just feel like there is too much chaos all around me. The ecomony, the elections, the hurricane in Texas, I want to crawl in the bed, cover my head, and sleep till I wake up to find this is all just a very bad dream!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Gayle, it's hard when it feels like the world is coming down around us. All of these things individually are very sad, collectively, they can seem overwhelming.

Please try to take time to smell the coffee today. There are many positive things in life to enjoy. Think about those things for a while and try to take a mental vacation from all the stress. This may sound corny, but it has worked for me when I thought the load was getting too heavy to bear.

We aren't given more than we can bear, even though it seems like it sometimes. Try to focus on positives for just today and see if it helps.

Wishing you a day of peace.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks Marilyn,
I need to smell the roses today - and I will - thanks for the reminder. I'm having lunch with an old friend today and that will be great! My co-workers (the ones still standing) are wonderful people and we are extremely supportive of each other. It will be OK, but when I got the call from my cousin last night - I just wanted to SCREAM!

I know I have to take care of myself and de-stress, and I do appreciate the reminder!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Gayle, I think all of us at one time or another feel like everything and everyone around us is in total chaos and the feeling of not being able to really do anything about it is what causes us to stress out!

I hope you take some time for yourself...lunch with your friend sounds lovely. Keep taking those deep breaths and know we are here for you...always.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks Janet!!! I just found out that my cousin is being sent to the medical center - they think she may have ovarian cancer - which I thought too, when I talked to her. She's in good spirits though, what can you do??? She'll find out in a couple of days. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

I just can't believe that so much is happening all around you.
I am so sorry, know that I am thinking of you and praying.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1990 View Post
I just can't believe that so much is happening all around you.
I am so sorry, know that I am thinking of you and praying.

Thanks so much, the support is much appreciated. I know, I can't understand the chaos all around me either. I've never experienced this many events at one time. It's almost unreal.

I talked to my cousin, she will have her surgery tomorrow - so we will know then, whether or not it is ovarian cancer. She is in very good spirits, not in denial, but waiting for the results to know what she will need to do. She is very pragmatic and does not seem daunted at all by the prospect of cancer. I know it will be hard for her, I hope I can help!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
Dobie

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this, I'll pray that you find some peace during these hectic times!
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I think that we all have times where it seems like everything is going wrong, either with us or those around us. It's hard to deal with and you're afraid of what's going to happen next. I had a year where my health fell apart. Thank goodness it only lasted a year and things are much, much better now.

With all of your friends and husband having problems now is the time for you to find the strength to be a light and encourager to all of those who are having trouble. Don't let it wear you down but keep a smile on your face and joy in your heart to share with the others. I'll keep you in my prayers.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm so sorry all of this is happening at the same time! It has to be tough to be a rock for everyone. But we're here for you!
Your cousin sounds like she has the right spirit to get through anything!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
2tiredmom

Our maker only gives us as much as we can handle and some days we wonder how much more can we take. 2 years ago in Feb. our cousin passed away from cancer then in March of same year my mom passed away from cancer, then in May
great grandmother passed away from cancer, 3 days later my FIL passed away
from a heartattack but had also battled with cancer at the same time my son
graduated from High School. Then daughter got pregnant and had an abusive
boyfriend. But I got to be there when my mom died and I got to be there when my first grandson was born. Now my daughter is married to a great fella now are expecting
in April. So you are in my prayers along with all the people around you. I'm so sorry your having to go though this. I know when I went though all that it really made me stronger and more caring of the people around me. God Bless You.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I just love it when this forum rallies around each other. What a great, loving group of women. When it starts getting to you Gayle...we're here with open arms.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thank you ALL so very very much!!! You just don't know how much it helps to know you all are "out" there.

We just found out today that our faculty member who had surgery last week and was told she had stage one ovarian cancer - that she actually has stage four uterine cancer. Obviously, that is horrible news. However, she is going to MD Anderson cancer center for a second opinion, as we do not have a very good cancer center in this city. Hopefully, she still does not have the correct diagnosis.

Our other faculty with melanoma of the eye got good news this week, her cancer has not returned - just wonderful news!!!

Our faculty that was in the horrible car accident is going to be OK, but she has badly broken legs, pelvis and ankle, but she will be OK

Now, I'm just waiting for my cousin to have surgery to remove the tumor from her ovary to see whether or not it is cancerous. We will know tomorrow!

Good news now. My husband is feeling much better!!! I'm so happy for him!!!

I'll be OK, no matter the outcome for any of these things, but not without the support of my caring friends!

Thanks so much,
Gayle
Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Dear Gayle,

Let me add my prayers for everyone who is suffering. You sound better, but maybe you can get into bed for one evening and pull the blankets over your head.

I'm so glad your dh is feeling better.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Oh Gayle, I feel for you, it is tough hearing so much bad news all around you. But don't despair you got all of us praying for your friends and husband.. Nothing stronger than the power of prayer..

Now take Judy's advice get under those blankets asap.. and take the phone off the hook... Tomorrow is another day and you will start getting better news...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote