4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 11-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Not a happy camper!

Well, Gary was not feeling better today, in fact he said he felt worse. So, the nurse called today to see how he was doing and I think he whined a bit much (I wasn't here). She told him to keep eating bland food and they were still waiting for the stool cultures. Then, 10 minutes later she called him back to say that she talked to the doctor and the doc said to come to the ER to be ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL!

Now, we all know the last place you want to be is in the hospital and I know he is not nearly sick enough to need to be in the hospital. But do you think he asked the nurse WHY the doc thought he needed to be admitted? NOOOOOO..... Now, he was not happy, he didn't want to go to the hospital, but you would think that he would have asked why the doc thought he should be admitted.

So, when I got home I flipped out! I called the office but it was 5:00 - I left a message but I knew no one would call me back. So, I called the after hours nurse, told her the story and she said she would leave a message for the doctor TOMORROW! I don't need to talk to the doc TOMORROW, I need to talk to her NOW! My concern was that something had come back on the stool cultures, that indicated he needed to be in the hospital for IV medications. But I was not about to admit him without that confirmation. When I couldn't get through to the doctor, I just gave up - but then she called me - I guess the after hours nurse decided that she should call the doctor rather than leave her a note to find tomorrow. DUH!

The doctor just basically said she didn't know what was wrong with him, she thought he would get better but he hadn't, so she thought maybe she should admit him. Uh,,,,, NO!

Really guys, he is perfectly OK at home. He doesn't feel the best, and he is having some diarrhea - but come on now, he is NOT sick enough to be in the hospital. That is the LAST place you want to go - SHEESH!!

OK, now that I've had my rant - I have to rant about the poor folks that wouldn't know any better and would just troop up to the hospital and check themeslves in. I just don't know how people manage in today's crazy health care system!!!

Last edited by gja1000; 11-12-2009 at 06:38 PM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Gayle, if I ever get really sick will you come and stay with me and make sure that I get good health care? I think that Gary is one lucky man to have a wonderful, intelligent nurse like you taking care of him!! I hope he truly appreciates you!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Now you KNOW this makes me want to rant right along with you!! About doctors, hospitals, and whining husbands!!!! Mike wouldn't have asked why, either. That just makes me CRAZY!!! Whatever happened to "come to the office first thing in the morning and let me check you again"??? I'm sure Gary feels bad, and I'm surely in favor of going to the ER if it's an emergency situation...but to "just go to the ER and be admitted"?? I would have been tracking down that doctor, too. So, did she even know the results of the stool sample? Grrrr...
Old 11-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Maybe they wanted him there to be monitored and run more tests....who knows. He's lucky to have you to keep an eye on things. Hope he's feeling better today and the test results were good.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thank goodness Gary has you, Gayle, to take care of him! Hospitals are terrible places to be. Anyway, the people who really take care of you are the nurses, so Gary doesn't need a hospital since you are a nurse.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Oh, Gayle, so sorry you are going through this and so hope that Gary is better very soon!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks everyone! I have a friend who regularly goes to South American and has LOTS of experience with GI crud. She said she would take 3 days of antibiotics to see if it helps, so that is what we are doing. Hopefully, he will feel better. He's just pretty weak right now because he hasn't eaten much food in the past week.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
paula1961

Gayle, I sure hope Gary is better soon. Prayers to you two.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote