4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Family! Grrr!

I love my family, but sometimes.......

We have a farm in Oklahoma with mineral rights, so that means MONEY is involved. My two cousins and I overlooked an important document that came in the mail in November to all 3 of us. We get TONS of mail from Oklahoma, from companies wanting to buy our farm and our mineral rights - and I do mean TONS of it. I usually just toss it into a pile and look at it from time to time.

Well an important letter came to me, and also came to my other 2 cousins. None of us looked at it and it turned out to be something important. Now, my two cousins (who did not get the letter because the farm correspondence goes to their sister instead of them, and SHE didn't look at the letter) are going to see our attorney in Oklahoma to see if everything can be straightened out.

Yes, I feel horrible for not looking at the letter, but in my defense it came when my mom was in the hospital, Gary was sick and I was at my wits end with school and everything else. But in reality, even if I'd had enough time, I might not have looked at the letter in a timely manner.

So, yesterday and today all of us have gotten nasty emails from the two cousins who now feel they have to "save" everything and everyone. And it's not like we are actually losing much of anything - it might mean that we could possibly, at some time in the future, lose a little bit of money.

Today, I had had enough and I called my cousin (Joyce) out on her "haughty" and "holier than thou" email messages. We've had a few back and forth (ahem) "conversations" on email this evening. I don't think she will back down and I know I won't back down. She is treating us like imbeciles and I just don't like it. I freely admit I screwed up by not looking at the letter - but treating me like I'm stupid is not going to help the matter.

THEN she had the nerve to say no one ever helps with expenses related to the farm and mineral rights business. I'm like, OH NO YOU DIDN'T JUST SAY THAT!!! I am very close to her younger sister (Emma) and I tell Emma all the time that I will help with any expenses she incurs. So today Joyce complains that she has incurred expenses in the past and no one offered to help and she is reluctant to ask for reimbursement. OH NO YOU DIDN'T JUST SAY THAT!!! I'M TALENTED BUT I CANNOT READ YOUR MIND.

Anyway, I am just venting. We will all be fine, we do love each other, and I know this is to be expected when family and money is involved. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Yes, how nice of $$$$$ to get involved in family

I'm sure she's just stressed out and after everything is finish with she will calm down and get off her high horse.

Big Cyber Hug XOXO
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Gayle, I get that same crap mail from our mineral rights. I NEVER open it, either! Who could open all that junk? Like you said, it's most always somebody that wants to buy it from you I don't know why some people are just so rude. She should have been glad to help you out instead of complaining. I'm glad you said something back to her! Sometimes enough is enough!!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks Jessica, I needed a hug. And thank you Betsi, I needed to hear that someone else does the exact same thing with all that mail!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
When it's family and money.....it's never as good as it should be. How can they be so crappy when they didn't read the mail either?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
When it's family and money.....it's never as good as it should be. How can they be so crappy when they didn't read the mail either?
Well to be fair, they didn't receive the letter (which came in November) until this week. Their mineral rights are in a family trust, and all the correspondence goes to their older sister. She is the one that didn't read the letter - or read it and didn't think it was important - I don't know which one. The letter also went to a third cousin and I have no idea whether or not he read the letter and did nothing, or didn't read the letter at all like me.

It's still pissing me off this morning and I usually don't hold a grudge. The interesting thing is that my daughter called me yesterday to ask what was wrong with Joyce (the one being very nasty now about all this). My daughter picked up on the nasty condescending tone in the emails, even before I did. So, I don't think it is just me feeling attacked. Actually, I was picking up that I was being chastised publicly - but I was just ignoring it. LOL!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Sorry that you're dealing with this. The truth is that she probably would have done the same thing if the letter had come to her.

I don't understand how you can lose money by overlooking a letter about your mineral rights. Do you have your mineral rights leased out?

We had a company that came through a few years ago and leased all around us so eventually we leased as well. They fizzled out before they actually got to our property and Glen was glad because they made these awful roads right in the middle of the fields. They didn't get enough natural gas in our area to hardly make it worth doing......however Glen has an aunt that lives south of town that makes some really good money on some wells she has. I think that Glen signed a contract where he can get his mineral rights back eventually.

I know......I ask too many questions and you don't have to answer them. Gayle, you always handle everything so nicely and I know that you'll handle your family in the same way.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hi Diana, thanks for the support. Yes, we have our land leased for drilling. It is a 3 year lease. We didn't sell our mineral rights or land, only leased them so they still belong to us.

The letter was a notice of a hearing to be held in December. The hearing was for the oil company to ask the Oklahoma corporation commission to allow the to allow them to be able to drill a different way than was specified in our lease. The request was approved by the corporation commission, so that is an issue.

Also at issue was the amount of money we will get IF they drill a well on our farm and IF it produces gas or oil. Our share of the money (IF the well is drilled and produces) is lower in the papers from the hearing than what is specified in our lease with them. When we didn't read the letter we got in November, we didn't know about the hearing, so we couldn't go an protest or have our attorney go and protest these changes.

Now, in reviewing the original notice we got back in Nov., we discover that lowering our percentage of money was not listed among the things in the original letter that they were going to ask for. That is the only thing that could possibly cost us money in the future - IF they drill a producing well in the next 2 1/2 years. Since we know about it now, but it was NOT listed in the notification letter (the one we didn't read), our attorney can probably get that part taken out. Of course though, we will have to pay our attorney to do that - so this snafu will cost us some money, either way. There are 7 of us cousins who own the land/mineral rights together, so it won't cost any ONE of us very much.

The other part of the oil company's request to the corporation commission won't cost us any money and I really don't understand that part of it anyway. It has to do with our lease specification that said they can only drill to a certain depth (e.g. 10,000 feet) but they want to be able to drill to other depths, e.g., 14,000 feet (and that was granted by the corporation commission). I don't understand why we had that restriction in our lease and so I don't know the implications of removing it - but I do know that that part is not what will cost us money in the long run.

Last edited by gja1000; 01-13-2012 at 01:31 PM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Even your post got too confusing to read!!! I would not have read that letter either~

Can you arrange to have your mail sent to Miss Perfect Joyce? That would let you off the hook from now on, and she can handle it all perfecly.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Yes. That is what needs to happen Judy. The interesting thing is that Ms. Joyce has just retired (Dec. 31) from a very demanding job and has had no time for years and years. Lol! Now she has time to take care of all of us!!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

heehee!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Gayle, have your lawyer find out the answers for you. These are things that need to be clarified before they ever start drilling on your property.

Oil and gas companies can be snakes......they'll tell you one thing but do another. I know that when oil and gas was big up here you had to be careful who you leased to because of the dishonesty that went on.

I wouldn't think that they could change the amount that they leased it for or the amount that they would owe you if they had a well on you.....but I would ask your lawyer about it.

I hope you get good news.......and that your cousin, well.......quits being a troublemaker!!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I feel so lucky!!!! I've never known anyone with mineral rights before! lol I'm so out in the woods that to be honest, I never even heard of it.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I feel so lucky!!!! I've never known anyone with mineral rights before! lol I'm so out in the woods that to be honest, I never even heard of it.

I know!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Y'all are so funny!!