4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Card skimming

There was an article in the paper yesterday about a Quebec man who was arrested in my city over the weekend after over $100,000 in $20 bills was found in his hotel room. He was part of a debit card skimming operation. The police figure about 600 cards were compromised. It kind of freaked me out, so I checked my bank account immediately online and it seemed to be fine, no money was missing.

Last night I went to a movie with a friend, and I was buying us popcorn and drinks. I used my card and I was shocked when I glanced down and saw "Not Accepted" I ended up using my credit card to pay for everything but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I got home and ran to my cell phone (which I forgot to take with me in the morning) but there were no calls from my bank. I checked my account again to be sure, and everything is still there. I don't know what's going on so I called and left a message with the bank this morning and hopefully they call back soon.

Apparently this guy left card skimming devices at ATMs in one bank (not my bank) and possibly a retail location. I used my debit card this weekend at Costco, and at my bank. I am just so angry that the world is like this. I will be replacing my card with a chip card because they're a lot safer.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's scary!!!! I saw a show on TV once about a device that could be placed inside credit card slots and would copy credit card numbers. That's pretty scary!!! Wow.....I'm so glad that he was caught!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Yeah, and he was only 21!!! His parents went wrong somewhere

I still haven't heard from the bank yet. I'll call again on my lunch break.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
MaddieBoo

Lindsey I've had something similar happen. I was in Vancouver earlier this year and was at the Aldo outlet and my card wouldn't go through. I knew I had tons of money in my account so I called my bank and they told me my card had been compromised. Nothing had been taken out erroneously but I had used my card at a location that may have been compromised. So even if they don't actually steal from you, just shopping at the same place that something may have been done can compromise your card. The problem is, they won't tell you where it was that you shopped that you were at risk, so you can't know where you need to stop going!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

That's scary Maddie! I knew I only shopped at one place this weekend... BUT the bank finally called back and said there doesn't seem to be any problem with my card at all and it was NOT deactivated. She said maybe the magnetic strip is just starting to go, or they might have been having problems with their interac machines. I'm just going to go replace it with a chip card anyway!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
paula1961

My husband has had to have his card replaced several times because the strip was worn out and his card would get declined because of it.
I've never heard of a chip card. What is it? Sounds like something I might be interested in having.

I'm so glad that guy was caught!!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

These people are such bottom feeders! Yuck!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote