4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

The Rant Continues

I'm posting waaaay to much in the vent section - what does that say about me???

This is just NOT my month for health care things. Or maybe it IS the month for health care challenges........

We FINALLY got Gary's injection for his neck scheduled for Jan. 30th. That is so far away though, I feel so sorry for him. He had a terrible night last night, but he is better today.

The story is that he went to the doctor on the 12th. They said, "yep, he needs another injection". But they had to clear it with his heart doctor to stop his blood thinner 3 days before and 2 days after the injection. So they called me on the 13th, to get the exact name of the cardiologist. I couldn't talk to anyone directly (of course :roll eyes so I left them a message on the 13th with the doctor's name and phone number, along with the NP that also takes care of Gary (it's a heart failure clinic and so he sees the NP actually more than the doctor). So, they had 2 contact names.

When I hadn't heard back from the neck doc's office by the 18th, I called and they were supposed to call me back - but they didn't. So then on the 19th, someone called and asked me, "DID YOU EVER GET APPROVAL FROM THE CARDIOLOGIST TO STOP THE COUMADIN" Like I was supposed to get the permission - no I don't think so. I told her that HER doc's office had called and asked for the cardiologist's contact information and I had given them that information on the 13th and now we were waaaay beyond patience for this delay (I was nice though, not mean).

So she says she will talk to the neck doc on Friday (yesterday) and call us back Friday afternoon (20th). By 4:00PM Friday, no one had called so I called AGAIN and of course, someone was supposed to call me back and yay! they did this time and we scheduled the injection. But of course by NOW, the first appointment available is the 30th - a whole 9 days away. I was pretty upset last night because Gary was in so much pain, but he is better today. The new pain meds they gave him don't work, but the muscle relaxant did work. We also have some stronger pain meds so he will try those if he gets into this shape again.

OK, that is issue #1

#2. We have been trying to get his medications transferred over to a new mail-in pharmacy (Caremark) and that has been a real saga, with many phone calls and LOOOONG periods of time on hold. Anyway, finally I was able to get his online account set up and so I thought everything was OK. I knew his insulin did not transfer over to Caremark, but I thought that was OK because we had an appointment last Thursday (the 12th) with his endocrinologist and I knew we could get a new prescription for insulin. We went to the doctor and I watched him submit the prescription for insulin via his computer. So, every day I checked to see if it showed up on Gary's list of meds on the Caremark website, but it never did. I tried calling Caremark one evening, but couldn't wait long enough on hold to actually talk to someone :roll eyes: So, yesterday (the 20th) there was a message from Caremark (on our voice mail) that Gary's doctor had submitted the prescription to Caremark Specialty pharmacy, instead of Caremark mail-in pharmacy (where he should have submitted it). They went on to say that Caremark Specialty had forward the prescription to Caremark Mail-in pharmacy but that they couldn't fill the forwarded prescription because was not submitted directly from the doctor. WTF! So I called the endocrinologist office and (of course) had to leave a message about the prescription. They called me back later in the day to say that Caremark had called THEM, and THEY had FAXED the prescription on the 13th, then someone from Caremark called them again and they FAXED the prescription on the 17th Mind you, Caremark called ME with the message above on the 18th!!! The nurse who called me from the endocrinologist office was at her wits end. She was saying what more are they supposed to do and I agree!!! She was going to fax it again and call them again. She said if it doesn't show up by Monday to call her again. Do you know how frustrating this is!!!

Oh, but i am not done!

Today I realized that we hadn't gotten Gary's insulin pump supplies (tubing and cartridges - they usually come about the 18th of every month). Gary gets his insulin pump supplies from Medicare since he is 100% disabled, Medicare is his primary insurance, and his BCBS is secondary. His pump supplies used to come every month, but Medicare changed some things and so when I called, they explained that he was getting 3 months worth of supplies in one shipment and his next shipment was due to be shipped Feb. 17th. OK, that was fine with me - EXCEPT - after I hung up I thought, "you know, I don't' think we have enough supplies to get to Feb. 17th". So, I went and counted tubing and cartridges and sure enough we only had enough to get to the 15th. THEN I realized we will be out of town from the 16th to the 21st and he sure as heck doesn't have enough supplies to last to the 21st.

So, I call the medical supply house that ships the supplies. Always in the past when we were going out of town, they would ship his supplies early enough to get here before we left. So, the lady on the phone says, "nope, can't ship early, Medicare won't let us". I say, "Well Gary will be out of supplies and unable to use his insulin pump for 6 days" She says, "I'm sorry, Medicare won't let us ship early" And I tell her that they always did before and she said they don't do it anymore. So, I ask to talk to her supervisor who says the same thing - but finally he says they will ship us a few sets to get us through the 6 days, AT NO CHARGE. I'm thinking they must be absorbing the cost because they can't bill Medicare, yada yada yada.

I'm very grateful for him doing that and I do understand that Medicare has really tightened up their procedures (there is SO MUCH Medicare fraud), so I understand that, but there can't just be blanket rules that can't be bent in special circumstances. Also, part of the problem is that when Gary is on Prednisone for his asthma, he uses more insulin so his pump tubing and cartridges have to be changed more often and thus, we use more supplies. The supervisor said that he would increase the number of tubings and cartridges we receive with each shipment, so hopefully this won't happen again.

WHEW! I am really tired of venting. I'm so tired of medical challenges!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

*Waving my hand in the air* I KNOW, I KNOW just what you are going through!! We don't have Medicare to deal with, but we have Caremark!! They have decided that they won't send Mike's insulin injections like he usually gets, and they want him to use a different brand of blood thinner injections than Lovenox..there aren't many choices

I'm so sorry Gary has to wait so long for his injection! It's ridiculous! Having to deal with all of Gary's medical stuff is enough to make YOU sick, Gayle. Take care of yourself, please!

Mike has had lots of weird things wrong with him lately, but it was just determined that he has extremely low testosterone. Of course they can't give him testosterone because it may cause blood clots. Now just let your minds go here a moment... I live with a MAN that has big hot flashes, cold chills, can't concentrate on anything AND has estrogen filled mood swings!

I think we may just need to send them to the woods together, Gayle!!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Tiramisu

Now that's true love!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Wow Gayle....that has got to be so frustrating. There is no reason you had to go through all of that. I know we mentioned this on another thread, but how are older people suppose to be able to handle their health care. Heaven forbid that Gary didn't have you, would he be able to do all that? It just doesn't seem right.

You vent all you want girl!!! I would be bald by now....pulling my hair out!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Heaven forbid that Gary didn't have you, would he be able to do all that? It just doesn't seem right.

You vent all you want girl!!! I would be bald by now....pulling my hair out!
Ha! Ha! I was telling all of this on the phone last night to my daughter. She laughed and told me to tell Gary that if anything happens to me, he better have enough money saved up to hire a full-time caregiver because there is not enough anti-anxiety medicine in the world to get her through handling all this sh!t!!! We were all laughing, but she is right, I don't know if she could handle all of this. She reminded me that the "Joyce, letter, mineral rights blowout" happened during this time too. She's right. I get so used to handling medical issues, it almost seems normal now.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
*Waving my hand in the air* I KNOW, I KNOW just what you are going through!! We don't have Medicare to deal with, but we have Caremark!! They have decided that they won't send Mike's insulin injections like he usually gets, and they want him to use a different brand of blood thinner injections than Lovenox..there aren't many choices

Mike has had lots of weird things wrong with him lately, but it was just determined that he has extremely low testosterone. Of course they can't give him testosterone because it may cause blood clots. Now just let your minds go here a moment... I live with a MAN that has big hot flashes, cold chills, can't concentrate on anything AND has estrogen filled mood swings!

I think we may just need to send them to the woods together, Gayle!!!!
Oh Betsi! You are dealing with this idiocracy too!!! I know there is all kinds of fraud that makes insurance companies want to be so strict. And I also know they are looking out for their bottom line (why they want to change Mike's blood thinner injections). But that just makes it harder for those of who are just trying to do everything we can to keep our loved ones healthy enough to enjoy life. I know the reason Gary's insulin doesn't show up is because they don't want to pay for the type of insulin he has been taking. Yes, we can change back to a less expensive insulin, but the one he is currently taking is better for his blood sugar. OK OK, I can compromise but all this drama of getting the damned prescription to be available to him is just NUTS!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Give me their phone number, Gayle! I will have it out with all of these "pass the buck" rules! It does sound like you found the right supervisor though. I hope you wrote down the name. This is a life or death situation, and they are worrying about Medicare paying???? I wonder if you called the insulin manufacturer, they would send you a batch?

Betsi, I am so sorry for Mike, but I am still laughing at your post! You really should hide in the cellar when his hot flashes and mood swings get out of hand! My SIL has the same problem, but he can take testosterone as soon as he gets to the endocrinologist to begin. He really needs testosterone. He certainly has not "manned up" as far as working is concerned.

I called my dental insurance company, and FINALLY, they do not need any more paperwork!!!! They will now review it. The young woman I spoke to rold me that I will be getting a check, but I will believe it when I see it!

Now...onto Medicare and my new drug company.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Oh Gayle......You need a BIG hug!!! Dealing with all of this.....AND.....Joyce!!! I'm surprised that I haven't heard screams of fustration all the way up here!!! You certainly deserve "The Wife of the Year" Award!!!!

Betsi, I don't know how you do it either!!! I'm not sure how I would handle an emotional man that's dealing with hot flashes and other stuff!!!

You two should go and just have a weekend together with lots of fun and laughter!! You both deserve it!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Sounds like a great idea
Old 01-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Yes!!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I called the drug company, my union, and some other Human Resource place involved with the Dept of Ed retirees re Medicare. I also went to my doctor, who told me that next time I come in, he will have to do a physical, and some other stuff. He told me not to worry about anything. They know what has to be done, and will do it.

WOW!!! So far, so good! I got this thick booklet about Medicare, which I definitely don't want to read. I will look through it though, just so that I am familiar with what I can expect and what I am entitled to.

Now, to wait for the dental insurance check!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Wow I can't believe all the stuff you need to go through!!!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm dreading dealing with all of this whenever it comes my turn!! At least I'll know to turn to you guys because you'll have it ALL figured out by the time I need the info!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

You are right Diana. We can walk you right through it. Let's just hope we still have Medicare!

Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You'll have to explain it to me at the same time as Diana. I'm really dreading trying to understand all that stuff.