4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary's back

Gary has always had lower back issues. He was born with bad bones in his lower back. Back pain is just something he lives with. But this week something else started. On Wed he went to the bathroom and when he reached down to lift the toilet lid, he got a shooting pain in his lower back, his legs went numb and he couldn't stand up. It happened again on Thurs so he went to see his chiropractor. She took an xray and didn't do anything. When he went back today she said he needed to see a neurologist and to go to the ER if it happened again. Well it happened 4 times today, so here we are in the ER. The ER doc thinks it is a pinched nerve that is causing a muscle spasm which pinches the nerve even more. It only lasts about 30-60 seconds, but it is very painful and scary in that if he didn't have something to hold onto, he would fall. They are giving him some muscle relaxers and I think we'll get to go home soon. A Friday evening in the ER, is not my cup of tea!
Old 09-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Just read about your trip to the ER on FB. Glad everything is okay. Pinched nerves are horrible to deal with whether it be pain or numbness. Hope Gary can catch up on his sleep.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hi All. We got home about midnight - so not too bad, we could have been there all night! Gary slept like a rock after we got home which is good.

I have to run to the pharmacy this morning to fill the muscle relaxant prescription. I sure hope this does the trick. The doctor doesn't think this is anything to be concerned about, e.g., he might be paralyzed or anything like that. His chiropractor told him she was afraid to manipulate his back because he could be paralyzed. But the ER doc said that was highly unlikely.

Now, what could happen is that the nerve becomes completely pinched and he is in pain with weakness in his legs all the time. However, he said with treatment, which we are hoping the muscle relaxants do the trick, it should get better.

We've been told in the past there is no surgical treatment for his back problem and that is good, no one should have back surgery unless it is absolutely the last resort. There are too many bad outcomes. And Gary SURE doesn't need surgery with all his other problems.

There are other treatments though, that are not surgical like cortisone injections and the like. Hopefully, the muscle relaxers will do the trick, if not then we'll have to explore the options. (sigh) It's always something!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
So sorry to hear about Gary and his back, i sure hope the meds work, nothing worse than a backache (except a toothache).

I know that even though surgery was a life saver for me i still have problems, but maybe it is just my age catching up with me LOL

Hope Gary is feeling better soon!!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I hope Gary feels better, and that the muscle relaxants do the trick. That sounds like an awful thing to go through...pain and weakness!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I'm so sorry to hear about Gary's back problems. My back hurts tremendously and I believe is from carrying three kids with a small body frame

And I so agree with you about not having back surgery, extremely risky.

Sending Gary lot's of positive energy so he can endure his back.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

We decided to go to the lake to see relatives his weekend. So far Garys back is doing good.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Enjoy!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I read your post on FB too. I'm so sorry that Gary has to deal with back pain because nothing is worse than that. I hope the meds help him!! Give him a hug from me and let him know that I'm praying. Have fun at the lake but don't let Gary over do!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary has not had any pain or weakness since he started the muscle relaxants. That's good news! He has one more day of high dose relaxants then he can go to as needed. I'm so glad he's responding to this treatment.

He's out on the lake fishing right now. Yep, it's dark here. They love to fish after dark. Much cooler and the fish bite better when it's cooler.

I dread the drive home tomorrow. The road will be packed! Yuk!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Janet

I'm so glad Gary is feeling better and getting to fish too. I always loved fishing after dark best too. We caught the best catfish at night. Hopefully the relaxants will continue to help and he'll have no more problems with his back.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm glad to hear that the meds are working. And I hope he catches a lot of fish for you!!! Glen, Damon, and a friend went fishing on Saturday and caught a load of fish!!!! Damon took quite a bit home to freeze and I have a big bowl in my fridge as well!!! I think that we're having fried catfish tonight for supper!!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Janet

Oh Diana....that sounds soooo good. I haven't had really good fried catfish in such a long time.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
paula1961

I'm so glad to hear that Gary is doing better Gayle!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

24 hours with no muscle relaxers and no "episodes". I got him an appointment with an orthopedic doc who specializes in non surgical spine treatment. He fixed Gary's frozen shoulder several years ago, with injections and therapy. I couldn't get in till Sept 24th, but they did say if he started having the problem again to call them and might be able to get him in more quickly.