4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Abdominal Pain

I have been in a lot of pain for the past couple of weeks. It tends to feel very strong for a few days and then it might go away for a day or two and then come back strongly again. The pain is on the left side of my abdomen, just below my rib cage.

Last night it was so bad I couldn't do anything when I got home except lay down with a heating pad. It has kept me awake the past few nights because it hurts when it stretches too much or if I change positions.

So this morning, Scott said he is not letting me wait another day and he drove me straight to the minor emergency clinic. After some tests and feeling around my stomach, the doctor said he thinks it's probably a bacterial or viral infection, and said I am running a fever. I'm supposed to take Tylenol No. 1 because the codiene coats well and works great for stomach pains apparently. And if I'm not better by Monday, I should go back and try antibiotics.

This is such a bad year for me. I can't even remember the last time I felt really good. Normally, I hardly get sick, and this year it has just been constant! I really hope this pain goes away quickly, and that it is just a small infection and nothing more serious.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Sorry that you're not well. At least you went to the doctor to check it out. I was thinking appendicitis or an ovarian cyst (a couple of my daughters had those). I hope that this will go ahead and clear up. Hugs!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Lindsey I hope everything is okay and you feel better soon. You really shouldn't wait so long to see a Dr. when you're in pain, waiting can make things worse sometimes.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Sorry you're sick Lindsey! Be sure to go back if it's not completely better. Everything that causes pain is on your right side, so I'm not sure what would hurt that high on your left
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

There are a few things it could be like pancreatitis, intestine obstruction, but I am having NO other symptoms other than pain and fever. Everythign is totally normal. So he's thinking there might just be some swelling from an infection, possibly in the colon? It hurts more when I move certain ways or hit a bump in the car or any sudden movements. The doctor said that a good indication is if it hurts when I breath in deep, because the diaphragm pushes the gut down which presses on the organs... and there is pain when I do that.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lindsay, I hope this takes care of the symptoms - be sure to go back if it doesn't clear up. It could be something in the bowel, maybe a tiny pouch in the bowel that has become infected or inflammed. It should be OK, but you might need antibiotics. It sounds like it is too high to be your ovary.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks for your input Gayle! The doctor said that if it's still painful Monday, that's a good indication that it's not just a viral infection and there is probably some bacteria in there so we'd go with antibiotics then.

I actually feel a lot better now than I did this morning or even early this afternoon. Maybe it's because I wasn't thinking about it all day, and I wasn't stressing out at work or anything either. I actually had a pretty relaxing day! At around 4:00 today we had cake for a coworker's birthday and as I was walking upstairs towards the lunch room I realized my abdomen was not hurting when I was walking up those steps. Right now it's not hurting at all unless I twist my upper body sideways. Standing or walking isn't painful. I just took my first pain reliever now and I won't take another tonight unless it starts hurting badly again.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Glad to hear that it is better. I hope it goes AWAY!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Well, the pain was totally gone this morning and I slept all night with no pain as well. I only took that one pill last night. Is it possible that this kind of pain is stress-related? I'm at work and I'm starting to feel a dull discomfort again.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh yes, it could very well be stress related. You could have a little irritated place and when you are stressed, you may be producing more gastric juices which causes the irritated place to hurt. Try eating something bland like crackers or bread when it starts to hurt. This might help.

Oh and try to relax. Also, try some deep abdominal breathing. Close your eyes. Take a deep breath in very slowly through your nose. Use your abdomen to take in the breath, in other words, your abdomen should pooch out as you are taking the deep breath in. Your chest should rise only MINIMALLY when you are taking in the slow deep breath. After you take it in, hold it about 3 seconds, and then slowly let it out through pursed lips. Try taking 3-4 slow deep breaths in and out like this. Close your eyes. Think of your favorite place - maybe your folks cabin or your favorite hiking place. Visualize yourself at that place. Now take 3-4 more slow deep breaths and imagine how relaxed you'd be if you were there right now. Open your eyes, and concentrate on feeling relaxed. Maybe this simple relaxation exercise will help. if it does, you know the pain is stress related. Also, if it doesn't work the first time, give it two or three tries before you stop. If it helps, keep doing it 2-3 times a day while at work.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks Gayle The pain hasn't been back at all yet. I've just been getting some stabbing-feeling headaches since last night. I think I just really need some rest and relaxation. Our plans for this weekend have been canceled so it's just going to be Scott and I at home and that will be really nice.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Wow! You really do need a break! It sounds like stress . You have been working so hard lately.

Time to take a deep breath and relax!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I really think it was stress. The doctor was supposed to call me Friday if anything was wrong, and if not it should be all good. I didn't get a call and I haven't had any more pain.