4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Angry I Need Dental Work!!

I'm sure you can probably tell in my pictures that I don't have the best looking teeth. Now that Ricky is done with braces and now that we have dental insurance, I made an appointment with the dentist. I so hate to admit this, but I haven't been since 2002. I know....I've been a bad girl. My only excuse is that we didn't have dental insurance and Ricky's braces were quite expensive. Now that they are paid off it's my turn and this time...we have insurance.

So I went and had the xrays taken. Looks like I have bone loss, some gum disease, a very big cavity that will need extracted and 4 other small cavities. I go on Tuesday for a free consultation to find out the options and game plan. Also they will give me lots of info about what my insurance will cover and what it won't.

They did say it would take about 4 visits to get it all taken care of. I do not like going to dentists AT ALL, but there are times with I just get tired of being afraid and just go for it. This is one of those times. I am anxious to get everything taken care of and get them cleaned really good. I wish I could get the spaces fixed too, but will have to see. I really wish I wasn't doing it at this age, but better late than never I guess.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I hope it is an easy treatment plan for you! You don't need any more stress right now!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I think everybody must hate going to the dentist. You are so right, sometimes it's easier to just dive in to something you dread just so you can quit worrying about it. Hopefully they will be able to fix you up with no problem. Janet, I really don't think your teeth look bad at all
Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
paula1961

Don't be ashamed Janet. Once I waited for several years between visits. I ended up having to have a root canal but it was no big deal.

I also hate going to the dentist! But we must
After you get this stuff done, maybe you won't dread so much the going back yearly for your cleanings. Speaking of which, I also need to make an appointment

Good luck girl. It will be okay
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Janet

Thanks ladies and Betsi thank you for saying my teeth don't look bad. You're so nice...everyone here is. I've just always been so self-concious of them.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Janet, I have been with you many times over the past 3-4 yrs that we have known each other and your teeth do not look bad at all!!!!

Don't feel bad about not going, I have dental ins and i still do not go on a yearly basis. I usually end up waiting until the pain is so unbearable that i have no choice but to go and have something done. My oldest daughter has to take script drugs to go to the dentist, then someone has to drive her there and back, thats how terrifed she is of going LOL !!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks for reminding me that I have cancelled an appointment to have an old filling replaced. I found out in November that it needed to be done - but I'm so chicken, I cancelled the appointment TWICE and now, I have to make myself schedule it again. I just HATE HATE HATE going to the dentist. I do go every year to have my teeth cleaned - but I sure do HATE to have work done. I have dental insurance, but it is not very good, so it still costs me a lot every time I have to get something done!

Oh and Janet, I've seen lots of pictures of you and never once noticed your teeth - so I don't think they are bad AT ALL!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

OK, we all need the reminder that I give to my adult children...

You HAVE to go to the dentist. When something goes wrong with a tooth, we can't just wait for it to get better like we do with a bad cold or a stomach virus. It CAN'T heal on it's own. It only gets worse, so the sooner we go to the dentist, the easier it will be to fix.

And that is my "mom" lecture for the day
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Janet

Thanks all...I am terrified of the dentist too. This dentist is so nice that she puts me in the relaxing vibrating chair, gives me gas and then also gives me a shot to numb the gums...lol. But this time....even though I'm a little frightened...I just tired of feeling that way...so if it hurts.....it hurts. I'll just get all the work done that I can and then make sure I go every year or twice a year if I have to so I won't have to have "work" done.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
paula1961

Sounds like you have a wonderful dentist Janet!! You even get pampered in a nice comfy chair? Wow! Mine don't do that
Really it doesn't sound bad at all! You will do just fine And you won't feel a thing

Thanks Mama Betsi! I guess we all needed that reminder about the dentist
Old 01-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks Mom (Betsi)! I'll "try' to remember to call and make the appointment tomorrow
Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I need to go to the dentist too but I keep putting it off because I'm scared. I haven't been to one since I got my last two wisdom teeth removed just over 3 years ago I haven't found a new dentist here in the city yet.

Good luck Janet! I hope they don't have to do too much.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
Janet

Good morning all! I went for my consultation today. They got with my insurance people and it will cost a total of $1400 something and my insurance will pay 80% on some things and 100% on a few. Anyway...looks like out of pocket will be around $656, so I said "let's get started".

I will have to have 7 visits. They will have to clean and scale (I just call it deep cleaning) and then I have 4 cavities plus I need one pulled. They'll do the work in quarters...every other week.

I guess they do it differently now...they will still do what ever I want as far as pain control, but now she has this thing where the computer administers the numb stuff and that most people don't feel anything at all. We'll see....lol

I'm really anxious to get the work done and to get my teeth white again. They've always looked like smokers teeth...so hopefully they will look nice when all the work is done.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
paula1961

Yay Janet! I'm glad you got your consultation done and you won't have to spend a fortune out of pocket! That's wonderful. Wow 7 visits, that doesn't sound bad at all. Spreading the work out like that shouldn't be bad at all. Good luck. When is your first appt?

Take everything they will give you so you won't feel a thing!! I always have them numb me even for cleaning. It probably wouldn't hurt anyway, but I'm a chicken
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
Janet

My first appointment is the 9th of February. I never ever thought I'd say I'm anxious to go to the dentist, but I'm ready. I want this done so I can keep what I have for as long as I can.

I have them numb me for cleaning too, but this time...they need to go below the gum line so I will definitely be numb. From what the tech said...she really doubted I'd feel anything with this new technology. Like I said....we'll see.