4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Relationships

Old 01-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Taurus Babe

Firefighter-Schedule

Does anyone have a BF or DH that is a firefighter, or just has different working hours? I just moved in with my BF and he has long shifts and overnight hours every shift. I'm far away from everything I know and tomorrow night is the first night alone. I'm excited about watching movies, but would love to hear your experiences with this. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

I know that Melissa, username "Lissa," her boyfriend is a firefighter. My hubby is in medical school and he has crazy hours and overnight shifts. He had to work a 30 hour shift today/tonight so I've been by myself today and I will be tonight as well. I just take these opportunities to lay around all day in my PJs, watch Lifetime movies, not worry about cooking or cleaning up, and watch all the episodes of Oprah that I recorded this week. I miss my husband, but it's nice to have some alone time, too. I am probably in a very similar situation as you bc we recently moved to a new city and I have no friends here. So it's not like when hubby's working I can just go hang out with my friends...I have no friends here...so, it's just me and the dogs!
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Taurus Babe

Wow, thanks for sharing. It feels better knowing that you're not all alone. You're right about the dog(s) thing. I don't know what I'd do with out Thor around (even though he's drivng me nuts right now). But as you said, I can't wait to watch trashy tv, and just kinda chill out. 30 hr shift? Oh man thats a long time. I miss my bf after 10 hours!!!! I just can't get enough of him. You're a tough cookie!

Ps, it 2;30 here, and I'm still in my PJ's!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus Babe
Wow, thanks for sharing. It feels better knowing that you're not all alone. You're right about the dog(s) thing. I don't know what I'd do with out Thor around (even though he's drivng me nuts right now). But as you said, I can't wait to watch trashy tv, and just kinda chill out. 30 hr shift? Oh man thats a long time. I miss my bf after 10 hours!!!! I just can't get enough of him. You're a tough cookie!

Ps, it 2;30 here, and I'm still in my PJ's!
Well, I was getting so lonely and depressed here so hubby let me get another dog. We now have a new lab puppy and he is definately a handful but I like his company. That is a grand total of 3 dogs for me all because hubby feels bad that he has to leave me for so long!

P.S. -- It's 4:40pm here and although I am not in my PJs (bc I went to Walmart and got some ice cream), I still haven't taken a shower today!

My hubby has a 30 hour shift twice a week on top of his 6:30am - 5:30pm daily schedule, so I know what you're going through. If you ever get bored or lonely, just drop me a line!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Lissa

Yep, my boyfriend's a firefighter

I don't live with him so I only get to see him in the evenings when he comes to visit, and luckily he doesn't have to work 24-hr shifts yet, though he probably will be by this Fall. If we get married I'm not looking forward to being alone due to the lovely 24 on 48 off shifts, but I figure I can get the cleaning and stuff done when he's gone, he's not that tidy and I'm becoming a bit of a neat freak (yes ladies, I do know that I won't be able to change that about him if we get married)

Right now he's just working 8-5 twice a week due to his class schedule but theirs is a combined career/volunteer department so he's on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for the next 4 years at least. We'll be out and he'll get a page and have to leave, it's not fun sometimes and when stuff is really getting bad I miss him. Just recently we had ice storms for a couple days here and he spent 98 of 120 hours at the station. And I hate it when he's out at a wildfire and I have to see it on the news. Goodness, sometimes that's how I find out he's on a serious call or has been on one cause I'll see it on the news and see him on the tv.

So I'm assuming yours is a firefighter too? Is it just my guy or does yours do a lot of talking about fires and firefighting? My boyfriend lives the department and it can get a bit intimidating at times, but I'm used to it.

Not to mention firefighters are SOOOOO sexy in their bunker gear

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Last edited by Lissa; 01-27-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
I'm married to an over the road trucker. He usually comes home on Sat afternoon and leaves again Sunday night. In between that, I get a couple of phone calls from him, but we have very limited time together, obviously.

I've lived this lifestyle for years, so am used to it. I just live my life my way, and when he's home he joins in if he wants to, or I do things alone or with the kids. We're both quite independent types, so it works for us. It was harder when the kids were young and I had so much of the responsibility for raising them alone, but now that they're all adults, it's easier.

I realize our lifestyle wouldn't be for everyone, and if either of us were the type who needed to be with the other more, we'd be in deep doodoo. LOL I have been asked many times over the years how I can stand not having him home, and seriously, THAT seems odd to me. On the rare times that he's been home for an extended period of time, it takes a bit of adjustment on both our parts to accommodate each other. I think "normal" is however you see it; to us this is normal.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Tink, people often ask me if I mind that my husband works all the time. My husband and I are both very independant types, also. I tell them that I would rather him work hard to make a living for us than stay at home and babysit me. When he's working, I do what I want. I know I will probably be singing a different tune when we have children, but it's working for us now. We really cherish our time together, and when you're not together alot, it's hard to fuss and fight. But he's schedule is supposed to die down when he gets done with medical school. That is why we're waiting to have children. If he gets into the residency program he is wanting, he'll only have to work about 50 hours/week.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
Taurus Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
Yep, my boyfriend's a firefighter

I don't live with him so I only get to see him in the evenings when he comes to visit, and luckily he doesn't have to work 24-hr shifts yet, though he probably will be by this Fall. If we get married I'm not looking forward to being alone due to the lovely 24 on 48 off shifts, but I figure I can get the cleaning and stuff done when he's gone, he's not that tidy and I'm becoming a bit of a neat freak (yes ladies, I do know that I won't be able to change that about him if we get married)

Right now he's just working 8-5 twice a week due to his class schedule but theirs is a combined career/volunteer department so he's on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for the next 4 years at least. We'll be out and he'll get a page and have to leave, it's not fun sometimes and when stuff is really getting bad I miss him. Just recently we had ice storms for a couple days here and he spent 98 of 120 hours at the station. And I hate it when he's out at a wildfire and I have to see it on the news. Goodness, sometimes that's how I find out he's on a serious call or has been on one cause I'll see it on the news and see him on the tv.

So I'm assuming yours is a firefighter too? Is it just my guy or does yours do a lot of talking about fires and firefighting? My boyfriend lives the department and it can get a bit intimidating at times, but I'm used to it.

Not to mention firefighters are SOOOOO sexy in their bunker gear
When they are at the volunteer stations it's hard cause they are on call all the time. I wasn't with my BF at this stage of his career, so lucky I didn't have to go through that. Also, up here in Canada they have 4 days on and 4 off and in those 4 days they do two 10 and two 14 hour shifts (2day/2night).
Tonight is his first night gone since I moved in.

Sounds like you have really been tough with your man's schedule.

Rebecca, you've got it hard to. But def. you cherish your time together so much more, and it'll be great when he's finally done and only working 50 hrs a week. The good thing about my bf schedule is that he does get a nice amount of time off too!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Taurus Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
I'm married to an over the road trucker. He usually comes home on Sat afternoon and leaves again Sunday night. In between that, I get a couple of phone calls from him, but we have very limited time together, obviously.

I've lived this lifestyle for years, so am used to it. I just live my life my way, and when he's home he joins in if he wants to, or I do things alone or with the kids. We're both quite independent types, so it works for us. It was harder when the kids were young and I had so much of the responsibility for raising them alone, but now that they're all adults, it's easier.

I realize our lifestyle wouldn't be for everyone, and if either of us were the type who needed to be with the other more, we'd be in deep doodoo. LOL I have been asked many times over the years how I can stand not having him home, and seriously, THAT seems odd to me. On the rare times that he's been home for an extended period of time, it takes a bit of adjustment on both our parts to accommodate each other. I think "normal" is however you see it; to us this is normal.
Wow, I don't know how you do it, but good or you guys!!!