4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Doctor visit

I went to the doctor with my daughter and Emma, my 2 yr old granddaughter. Emma has had a very faint heart murmur a couple of times - present one visit, gone the next, back the next, and so on. So, the pediatrician wanted her to see a pediatric cardiologist.

The appointment was today and I went along to talk with the cardiologist, just in case something was wrong (it wasn't). They did an EKG and took her blood pressure and listened to her heart a long time. She was really good when the doctor was in with her. She was great for the EKG - I thought, "yeah right, she's gonna just lay there with all those wires hooked up to her", and SHE DID! (fooled me) All is fine, no problems at all. It's a perfectly normal heart (the murmur wasn't present today).

It has been at least 10 years since I was with a 2 year old in the doctors office and I can tell you, THERE IS A REASON 57 YEAR OLD WOMEN DON'T HAVE TWO YEAR OLD CHILDREN!!! I needed a nap when we got out of that office. Emma wasn't bad at all, just BUSY! WHEW!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Gayle I'm so glad there was nothing wrong with your granddaughters heart. I'm glad she was so good with the whole visit.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I know what you mean, Gayle. I've been helping my daughter, Amy, with the Christmas program with our children's church kids. Yesterday I told my daughter that I didn't understand why she didn't just quit and forget the program. Either the kids were awful or my nerves just can't take it anymore..................I think that it's both!!!!! I'm going to start babysitting for Karlie, my new granddaughter who's 2 1/2. We'll see how it goes!!!

I'm so glad that your granddaughter's dr. appt went so well. I have mvp (a heart murmur) and it does cause me some problems.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Tiramisu

Gayle, I'm so thankful Emma's heart checked OK. They do tire us out, but it's such a pleasant tiredness.

Diana, what are your murmur symptoms? Do you feel a quiver in your check or anything?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
DianaB

A quiver in my cheek? No, but my heart thumps and jumps. Sometimes it has palpatations. I can feel it in my neck but not my cheek. It makes me cough.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
A quiver in my cheek? No, but my heart thumps and jumps. Sometimes it has palpatations. I can feel it in my neck but not my cheek. It makes me cough.
That was supposed to say "chest". I think I have that too, but it never shows up on an EKG. It might happen several times a day and then not for months. Tell me more! Do you feel faint when it thumps?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Nina

I'm so glad to hear things are fine! We had this same problem with my middle daughter. She had a faint heart murmer until she was 7 years old, and then it was gone. Children often outgrow them. The weird thing is, I developed a heart murmer while pregnant with her, and it went away after delivery.

And, I hear ya on why women our ages don't have 2-year-olds!. I have three grandchildren, (6, 4, 6 mos.) and just spending a few hours with them wears me out! I don't remember having enough energy to keep up with kids, but I must have! lol
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
DianaB

No, I don't feel faint when it bumps but sometimes I really don't have any energy. MVP is caused by a heart valve that doesn't shut properly. You can hear it sometimes if you put your head to my chest because you can hear it whoosh when my heart beats. That's caused by the blood that escapes backwards through the valve. Some people have to have surgery to correct it. I had an older friend that had the surgery two years ago and the dr. put her on a medicine that she couldn't take and she ended up dying. It was very sad. She was best friends with my Mom.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Sandy, when your heart thumps - it is most likely a PVC, premature ventricular contraction. The top part of the heart is supposed to squeeze (contract) slightly before the bottom part of the heart. The top part receives oxygenated blood from the lungs and then it is squeezed down into the bottom part of the heart, then the bottom part squeezes the blood out into the whole body.

So, as you can see when the bottom part squeezes before it has received blood from the top part, well then there is no blood to squeeze out and so no oxygen gets out in to the body for that heart beat.

We all have PVC's and that is usually that "thump" you feel in your chest. If you have several PVCs in a row (one right after another) you can feel very dizzy and can even faint. When Diana said it made her cough, that is the bodys own way to stop the PVCs. It is too complicated to explain why coughing can stop PVCs, but it can. Some people have so many PVCs that they have to take medication for them.

Sometimes though, the thump you feel is the top part of the heart beating irregularly, but it is usually the bottom part.

You can see a doctor and they will hook you up to a holter monitor for 24 hours to see how bad the PCVs really are. Also, caffiene, stress and fatigue will often cause PVCs to flare up. My daughter has them pretty badly, but not badly enough for medication. But if she drinks too much caffeine then she gets more of them and it bothers her. I get more of them when I lay on my left side at night. Sometimes I have to turn over to get the to stop.

PVCs are usually harmless, unless they make you dizzy or you have too many of them. Also, they can be fatal - if you heart starts beating with all PVCs then, you will die. That very rarely happens in the absence of heart disease - but it can happen. When you hear that someone (usually a young person) died of a fatal heart rhythm, that is what it is - PVCs that did not stop.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
DianaB

Gayle, I'm so glad that you're on here to explain things to us. I really appreciate a professional opinion.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 AM   #11
Tiramisu

Gayle, our resident medical expert, feel free to bill us. Yes, I'm probably experiencing PVCs, and can easily see that the caffeine and stress triggers it.

I read somewhere that if you feel you're having a heart attack, you should try a deep cough to help shock your heart. Sometimes, when my heart's PVCing, I take some big coughs, hoping to stop it.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Good job, Sandy! Now lay off the caffeine and stress!!! You do that and I'll tell the hurricanes to miss your house!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gayle - you are wonderful! A fountain of knowledge, and so willing to share.

My oldest gd had a murmur at about 2 or 3. Then, the pediatric cardiologist found something that they would have to watch once she reached puberty. Both have since disappeared, and she is fine, thank God.

I know what you mean about the grandchildren being tiring. I babysat all day Sunday and was exhausted. I'm doing it again this Sunday - I'm going to bring coffee.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
Gayle - you are wonderful! A fountain of knowledge, and so willing to share.

My oldest gd had a murmur at about 2 or 3. Then, the pediatric cardiologist found something that they would have to watch once she reached puberty. Both have since disappeared, and she is fine, thank God.

I know what you mean about the grandchildren being tiring. I babysat all day Sunday and was exhausted. I'm doing it again this Sunday - I'm going to bring coffee.
Judy, coffee is good except if you have Sandy's PVCs!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Gayle so happy to hear that your granddaughter is fine. I like Diana have a mitro valve prolapse along with a slight heart murmur. I didnt know until well after I had kids. I drink coffee and have plenty of stress in my life lol. Sometimes my heart races to. If it skips a beat I find like others mentioned if I cough hard it goes back to normal.

Gayle I always took antibodics for dental work now they are saying that the ADA has changed you no longer have to take. But I still do.. what are you feelings? Diana do you take before going to dentist?
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote