4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

My GOOD knee

There must be something in the water - I have another health issue!!!

When I was 16, I blew out the ACL in my knee (anterior cruciate knee ligament) playing basketball. Presently, when an athlete tears an ACL, they graft a new one in its place and the knee is usually about as good as new. Back in the olden days when I hurt my knee, no such procedure existed. So my knee is missing the ACL and is very unstable and I have to be careful not to do any twisting motions with it. That means I rely on my other (good) knee to do most of the work. The bad knee is doing pretty well, it gives me a bit of minor trouble from time to time, but it doesn't have any arthritis, and no chronic pain, so I can live with the limitations.

A few years ago, I hyperextended the "good" knee. It hurt really bad but got well eventually. Since then, it has given me some trouble too, but not much. The last couple of days, the good knee felt sorta funny at times, like there was a bubble or something inside - very hard to explain. It didn't really hurt, just felt funny.

Well, last night I went to bed and everything was hunky dory. I woke up about 3:00AM and when I moved, "OUCH!". My goodness, I have not had this kind of knee pain since I hyperextended it. I got up, limped to the bathroom, and took some Advil. I thought I had slept on it wrong and it would be OK when I woke up. WRONG. It is giving me fits today. I'm OK when walking around, not too much pain, but when I sit down it gets so stiff and when I get up - MAN OH MAN - it hurts. I just elevated it, put an ice pack on it, and took some more Advil and it feels better. I sure wish I knew what happened!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Are you going to go have it checked out? I wouldn't wait too long Gayle, believe me, knee pain is nothing to ignore....like I did.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

No, I'm not going to have it checked just yet. It is much better this evening, so I think it will be OK. It's just so irritating.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

My knee is better today. It's doesn't hurt much, per se, it just sorta "feels funny" in the back. I'm so glad the majority of the pain is gone, I'm sure it will be fine in a day or two.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

What??? You, of all people, know better than to wait it out!!! If you have it checked out, and it is something minor, you can treat it before it becomes something major!!!

Just sayin'

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

LOL! Oh Judy! I am the QUEEN of waiting it out!!! When you have as much medical knowledge as I do, you can pretty much tell when something is going to be OK - or not!

If I hadn't lived with gimpy knees for 44 years, I probably would go to the doctor now, but I know what they would say and there really isn't anything to be done at this time, for either of the knees.

I think I'll probably have to have the knee with the missing ACL replaced at some time - but then again, most people with an injury this old (44 years ago) have arthritis after this long, but I do not, so maybe I will escape the replacement, but probably not. The good knee that hurt yesterday, well it takes a lot of punishment since I defer to it for all things. Thus, it may actually wear out before the bad knee, if that makes any sense.

It's OK, don't worry about me, I just needed to whine and cry a bit . You can be sure though, if it keeps acting up and I have pain longer than a couple of days, I will go to the doctor.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
Janet

You can whine whenever you want, Lord knows I've been doing more than my share. I imagine that I'll need my knees replaced someday. I had two uncles with bad knees, my older brother has horribly bad knees and one had some kind of cancer in it. Mine hurt real bad some days...not so much others. Mostly when I get up or down. I really need to go have mine checked and I will.....soon.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

That does make sense Gayle. You sound like you know what's up with your knee, and you know so much about the body and health, so I will calm down!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Judy! I appreciate my concern.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Glad your knee feels better! Weird that it happened at night, huh?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hey, you hay wagon rider . It is very weird that it happened at night. It was FINE when I went to bed, but by 2 or 3AM it was NOT FINE. I wish I knew what happened or what caused it - I DON'T want to do that again.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
Janet

Maybe you were dreaming of kicking some ones butt and that's how you hurt it.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Maybe you were dreaming of kicking some ones butt and that's how you hurt it.
Janet, since I have a lot of butts I COULD kick, I bet you are right!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, your sense of humor is "on" lately!

Glad you feel better Gayle!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Gayle, I'd stay on the Advil for awhile. That will help with the inflamation......but you already know that!!! Take care of yourself!! Hugs!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote