4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Polls

Old 11-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #1
blowry

How many of you say "Merry Christmas"

I just read as thread on here about religion....I believe it is MY RIGHT to say "Merry Christmas"! I am 49 yrs old and have said this my entire life. This is america! the land of free speach! Last Christmas after I paid for my gifts I said "Merry Christmas" The woman at the counter looked at me and said "Happy Holidays" I looked back at her and said NO! "Merry Christmas"! I REFUSE to take Christ out of Christmas....THIS IS MY RIGHT! and no one is going to take it from me..we have had different beliefs from different religions for YEARS! why change things now! If you don't believe in Christmas just smile and walk away...say nothing! but don't take MY right away....And if I want to pray in public, school, say the pledge of allegiance I am going to do it!!

just want to know how you all feel about this one!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowry
I just read as thread on here about religion....I believe it is MY RIGHT to say "Merry Christmas"! I am 49 yrs old and have said this my entire life. This is america! the land of free speach! Last Christmas after I paid for my gifts I said "Merry Christmas" The woman at the counter looked at me and said "Happy Holidays" I looked back at her and said NO! "Merry Christmas"! I REFUSE to take Christ out of Christmas....THIS IS MY RIGHT! and no one is going to take it from me..we have had different beliefs from different religions for YEARS! why change things now! If you don't believe in Christmas just smile and walk away...say nothing! but don't take MY right away....And if I want to pray in public, school, say the pledge of allegiance I am going to do it!!

I applaud you I do to say Merry Christmas, when sales people say Happy Holidays, I repeat myself and sometimes I give tell them point blank what I feel. Most of the times the sales people agree with me, they are following their orders from work. I say phooey this is an free nation no one should DICTATE what can be said period. I am sick and tired of commericals and all the media taking Christ out of Christmas. It has been a religious holiday since the 700's and no one should change it now. I worry that in years to come our grand kids will not know Christmas of the past. That scares me....Christmas has always been a beautiful holiday acknowledged by all..

Last edited by Gina; 11-11-2006 at 07:55 AM.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
AMEN to this post!!!! There are a lot of "holidays", but only one Christmas and it is to celebrate a more than special event.

I have to say though, I've never had someone wish me Happy Holidays that I can remember. I do believe that some may say it to combine Christmas and New Years and don't mean to be blase about it all.

I have another gripe along this same line...I want Christmas spelled out...not using the "X" in front of "mas." I will not write it this way ever!!!! I don't want the "Christ" taken out of Christmas either!!!!! Great Post!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
khardy57

Quote:

You put into words EXACTLY how I feel. I'm so tired ot hearing people say Happy Holidays and it's hard to find Christmas cards that actually say Merry Christmas!
khardy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
I agree wholeheartedly!
At my last job online, I sent Christmas cards to all of the hosts who worked under me. A couple of them were Jewish, so I did make a point of sending them "Happy Holiday" cards, but the others got "Merry Christmas" on theirs. I don't want to offend anyone, but to me, Christmas is about Christ, and I don't see any reason to hide that fact.

I too really dislike the Xmas deal and refuse to use it.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I have always said "Merry Christmas" my entire life. Now having a business of our own and it's time to send out greeting cards, we do however find one's that say "Happy Holidays". I don't want to but feel i need to. The greeting cards that I send my family and friends always say Merry Christmas though.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Every Christian holiday is being taken away from us a little at a time. Christmas is becoming more and more about Santa Claus and his little elves and gifts, gifts, gifts, leaving out the real reason for the holiday, Christ's birth. We worry more about offending people who live here and are from other countries, but if I were to go another country to live would I expect their country to quit celebrating their holidays the way they're used to just because I, an American, were living in their country? No!! And I don't think that we should compromise how we (as American Christain believers) celebrate our holidays either. Athiests and other non-christian people can just look the other way if something is offensive to them. This country is founded on Christian beliefs and, in my opinion, we cannot remove Christianity from our society. It is the base of our country. Take it away and we will collapse.

Easter is the same way too. The Easter bunny has become so important and getting the eggs dyed and hidden that, again, the true meaning of the holiday is lost, the fact that Christ died on the cross and rose again so that man-kind can be forgiven for their sins and spend eternity with Him.

Two very important holidays with their true meanings becoming thought of less and less. Yet the importance of them is so very important to our lives. Do I say "Merry Christmas?" You bet!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
sharong

You said it perfectly Diana. I taught my children the true meaning of these holidays and they are teaching that to their children. When I was growing up we had Christmas break in school...now my grandson has winter break and Easter is spring break. It's crazy.

It's very sad to see all of the Happy Holidays banners in store windows, office buildings, etc. We have to stick together and keep the true meaning of the holidays alive and say Merry Christmas to every one we meet.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
Kimberley

I'm a "Merry Christmas" kinda gal!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 AM   #10
Cribal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberley
I'm a "Merry Christmas" kinda gal!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
~GirlieGirl~

Merry Christmas for me.

Christmas is a religous holiday and if you don't believe in God then why do you celebrate Christmas?

I get tired of people saying they don't believe in God but yet they celebrate Christmas and Easter.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:39 PM   #12
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Most shopkeepers here say Merry Christmas, if they wish me Happy Holidays, i wish them Merry Christmas.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:53 AM   #13
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

I say Merry Christmas! I heard on the Today show the other morning that WalMart is saying Merry Christmas again this year. Guess their sales dropped last year and they figure that by saying Merry Christmas that their sales will be better.
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #14
Miss_Sara

like I've said before
Happy Holidays pretty much means the same thing
"Happy HOLY days"

I say Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays until after Thanksgiving, so I can include it all.
I love Christmas, and we're celebrating the birth of Jesus!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #15
Lissa

Quote:
I just read as thread on here about religion....I believe it is MY RIGHT to say "Merry Christmas"! I am 49 yrs old and have said this my entire life. This is america! the land of free speach! Last Christmas after I paid for my gifts I said "Merry Christmas" The woman at the counter looked at me and said "Happy Holidays" I looked back at her and said NO! "Merry Christmas"! I REFUSE to take Christ out of Christmas....THIS IS MY RIGHT! and no one is going to take it from me..we have had different beliefs from different religions for YEARS! why change things now! If you don't believe in Christmas just smile and walk away...say nothing! but don't take MY right away....And if I want to pray in public, school, say the pledge of allegiance I am going to do it!

Sorry, but I couldn't pass this up.

You say this is a land of free speech. Yes, it's your right to say Merry Christmas, but it's also the checker's right to say Happy Holidays. You can't argue free speech and then yell at someone for exercising the right themself.

Let's be honest with ourselves. Christmas is a pagan holiday that was adopted by the Roman church to win over more followers that didn't want to give up their holidays. Christmas was a celebration of the Winter Solstice and many pagan's held celebrations around that time. Easter is the Spring Equinox. The Christians appropriated many pagan festivals and traditions of the season, that were practiced in many parts of the Middle East and Europe, as a means of stamping them out. There were mid-winter festivals in ancient Babylon and Egypt, and Germanic fertility festivals also took place at this time. The birth of the ancient sun-god Attis in Phrygia was celebrated on December 25th, as was the birth of the Persian sun-god, Mithras. The Romans celebrated Saturnalia, a festival dedicated to Saturn, the god of peace and plenty, that ran from the 17th to 24th of December. Public gathering places were decorated with flowers, gifts and candles were exchanged and the population, slaves and masters alike, celebrated the occasion with great enthusiasm. The earliest English reference to December 25th as Christmas Day did not come until 1043.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an athiest. I'm one of those Christians that doesn't live her life as a contradiction. I follow the Bible and nothing but the Bible, and we were not instructed or authorized to set apart a day to celebrate Christ's birth, we were told to celebrate his death in weekly Communion.

To me Christmas isn't about Christ, it's a time to get together with your family.

So for me, it's a hearty Happy Chrismahanukwanzika to all.

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote