4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

1 dog vs 2

I tried to get some input on YT but didn't get many replies so I thought I'd try here since some of you have two dogs!

Scott and I have been thinking about getting Layla a little companion. I love her so much and I try to spend as much time with her as possible, but I do work all day and sometimes at night she'll just lay there and not want anything to do with me! Sure we'll play for awhile but then she'll just go lay down by herself. Maybe a sibling would make her more active and maybe she'd be a happier dog...

On the other hand, it would be harder to go to the dog park unless Scott and I both go together so we could each keep an eye on one dog. Traveling would be a lot harder with two dogs in the car instead of just one. When I go away and can't take Layla, I'd need to find someone who would watch both instead of just one. If there was an accident on the floor, I wouldn't know which dog did it, so training might be harder...

I have found some cute little dogs in the shelter, and I've also been in contact with a girl who wants to rehome her 9 month old little girl yorkie. I would prefer a girl dog I think just because it wouldn't be lifting it's leg to pee, and I depend on pee pads! I know there's ways to get around it but I just feel it would be easier with a girl. I read an article yesterday, however, which said never to get two dogs of the same gender because they may fight to the death Especially if they're females.

Any input? It's not something I just want to jump into without REALLY weighing all the options. I would love to put Layla in doggy daycare so she'd be socialized all day but I just can't afford that! For now we're making a point to take at least an hour straight every evening to run around and play with her and give her 100% attention, no matter how tired we are. But some people have also told me they "guarantee" I will have a much happier dog if she had another dog to play with all day.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
paula1961

Lindsey, this is a big decision for you. Very good that you are weighing the pros and cons of two. I happen to have three. They do keep each other company. They run and play together. I personally would rather have more than one but I don't work. I'm with them most all of the time. In your case, if it were me, I would probably go for a 2nd. Does Layla do well with other dogs? Is she spayed? If she is, I don't see why you couldn't get a female. I have two females, one is spayed and one isn't. They don't fight, they play fight, but have never tried to hurt one another. I also have a male. He is very sweet, he thinks he is the ruler of the roost! Mine all get along fine. About the traveling, I don't have any advice about that.. we take ours everywhere with us, I've never had a problem, the way I feel about is if a hotel doesn't welcome my dogs then I'm not welcome there either. Of course most of the year we travel with a camper so I don't have to worry about that but there have been times when I have dealt with staying in a hotel. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

We have a great dane and a mi-ki...170 pounds and almost 5 pounds, but they still keep each other company! There are a lot of pros and cons, it may not be an easy decision. Remember that you will have twice the poop and pee to deal with. But you will also have twice the love and Layla will have company. But there is the off chance that she won't want to share her mommy. You may just have to get Layla a dog and see how it works out I know getting a dog is a big commitment, but it's sometimes hard to have all of the answers beforehand. Good luck kiddo!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks for your replies! Layla is okay with other dogs. She's not really playful, but then again most of the dogs we see are big dogs. It took her 8 weeks of puppy classes to finally run around with the other puppies instead of just being excited to see all the people! Actually, even at the dog park she is more excited to get attention from the people than from the dogs. I guess I feel like she's missing out on being a dog, it's almost like she doesn't know how.

As for traveling, Scott and I both drive cars, and Layla takes up enough room herself. Another dog might be a little crowded (since we usually also need to put luggage in the back seat). When we stay over with friends or relatives, I know one dog is okay but two might be a lot to handle.

I guess the more I think about it, the more feasible it is to just have Layla for now. I really like the thought of having another dog, with another personality, and giving Layla the chance to have a playmate all the time... but it might be a lot to handle. Layla has done pretty well getting used to the condo and not barking too much at the noise. If I brought in another dog that DOES bark a lot, it will just set Layla off and I will have two barking dogs. If I got a complaint, I would lose my privilege to own a pet in the building.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 10-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
paula1961

The barking is something I didn't even think to mention. When we just had Halle, she never barked and then when we got Brutis..... well let's just say he is quite the little barker. Now he starts and all three of them go off. It can be quite aggravating at times but I could never part with any of them
Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I know Layla would go crazy if there was another barking dog. When we visit my parents, their dog will bark outside at anything... a bird in a tree, a person walking by, the neighbors coming home... and as soon as Layla hears that bark she is running to the front door, the back door, around the whole house just barking her head off and she doesn't even know why!

It might be best for Scott and I to just wait until we move into a HOUSE and don't have to worry about the people under us or down the hall being upset about noise However, by that time Layla will be at least 9 years old and probably not so open to having a puppy in our lives!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It's been quite an experience for us with getting another dog. Jazzi is so competitive with Reuger. Just going out the door is a big deal and she'll turn and bite him going out. If I would have known her nature before I bought her I wouldn't have gotten her. It just seems like Reuger isn't my baby any more. He'd rather not be on my lap when she's any where around. She's constantly challenging him. I wish that Reuger would just go ahead and let her have it and show her that he is the boss then all of this nonsense would quit, but he's too nice to do that. I just keep thinking ........one of these days!!! BTW-They do bark a lot more together.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks for your view Diana... It might be selfish but one of my biggest worries is that Layla won't want her "mommy time" anymore!
I did ask the girl with the yorkie if she would consider giving us a trial period if we were serious about taking her, so I could judge how well the dogs would accept each other. She hasn't replied. From the other questions I've asked, her dog sounds like an impulse buy. She doesn't know the breeder's name, just someone she found on a classified ad... the woman brought the dog into the city so she could look at her and she ended up taking her right then. Now a few months later she decides she doesn't have time for a dog and wants to sell her Poor little girl, I wish I could give her a good home, but if I can't have her I hope somebody will.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Lindsey thats a tough call. I think of getting another dog for Gucci too. But Gucci is afraid of other dogs when they are around her she runs to me and stays on my lap yeah a mamas girl. lol I work but with my job I can come home during the day and check on her, besides my son is home too. I would love to give her a playmate but I don't know if she would handle it well. So as of now I opted not to..

It is a hard decision that you need to think through.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

We had one boy and then we got another - we wanted a girl, but didn't have that option when we got the second boy. One is neutered and one is not. They play together, but don't fight at all. And actually, as they get older - one is 4 and one is 3 - they don't play nearly as much. Maybe once or twice a day, they play for a little while, and the rest of the time they are sleeping or sitting on our laps. I think they do keep each other company - but they don't really play all that much. However, when one barks the other starts up. They are not big barkers, but they definitely do feed off each other's barking. It is harder traveling with two, but I wouldn't want it any other way - for us. I'm thinking that I'd advise you to wait - but it's a call you'll have to make.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #11
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I have 5 Yorkies and 1 Golden Retriever. They all get along, but WOW...the noise is deafening. If I knew then what I know now.....one would have been enough....lol. I love them all and they all have such different personalities, but I think one would have been so much easier and a lot less work.

I'd really think about it.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Well, last night I got an email from the shelter saying the dog I liked has been adopted. The girl with the yorkie stopped replying after I asked if a trial period would be possible. Scott and I talked and decided everything happens for a reason... maybe we'll just stick with Layla for now. We'll make more of an effort to keep her entertained and get her out of the house and socialized with other dogs (although it's so hard in the winter when it's so cold!). A new friend of mine is having a doggy day at her house on Sunday so I'm going to take Layla over there. She has a little shih tzu so I'm hoping they'll get along

Old 10-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Aww..that sounds like a nice friend to have a 'doggie day' to help keep her furbaby entertained.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

And even nicer to be providing food and snacks to keep my tummy entertained

Maybe I'll meet some nice dog owners there and we could take turns hosting doggie days. It's really tough to get outside in the winter for socializing here.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
paula1961

That sounds like alot of fun! Indoor doggie parties! I'm sure you and Layla will have a good time. Post pics if you can after doggie day.