4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Beauty & Fashion

Old 05-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lasik surgery worked!

I had lasik surgery on my reading eye about 1 1/2 months ago and remember posting that I was worried that it hadn't worked as well as I wanted it to. It took a long time, but I can see the computer, and read without glasses, unless it's tiny
letters on white on a pink background kind of label. I can see a lot of labels though.

The funny thing is, I went to the surgeon for a check-up a couple of weeks ago and he told me that he hadn't done it strong enough so that I would be able to read without drugstore glasses. I'm 20/60 in the right eye (the left is for distance).
He said the focus would be off because each eye would be too different or something. The differential would be too large. I know what he meant, but when I first had it done, both eyes were 20/20 - one for close-up and one for distance.

Anyway, who cares? Whatever my vision is, I have obviously learned to adapt and can see well enough. So - I'm delighted!

So, for anyone who's thinking of lasik and is afraid - well, I can't tell you not to be afraid - but this is the second time for my right eye, I'm 60 and healed nicely, and I don't need glasses.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

That's wonderful Judy!! I wish I could get the courage to actually go do it. My eye doctor says I am a perfect candidate, but I'm too scared to take the next step in the process.

I'm glad it worked out for you and that you are seeing better now!! That's so exciting!!

I may PM you if I decide to go forward with this and have any questions.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
goofywife
Donating 4WT Yakker

I had it done about 3 years ago. I put it off and put it off. I had very bad astigmatisms (20/600) and was borderline candidate. But I found a great Dr. Now, I don't know what I was waiting for. I used to spend 500.00 every year on new glasses.

Now, I am still 20/20.

OK Yorkie Rescue-Another Chance at Love
goofywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I so wish I wasn't a big baby!! I would love to have it done. I started wearing glasses in the 5th grade. When I got to Jr. high, I went to contacts. Then about 20 years ago, the contacts kept getting a filmy substance on them and I would have to clean them just about every hour or two. They were the hard lenses then. I asked my Dr. about soft lenses, but he said I have astigmatism too and couldn't wear them. Now I'm seeing them on advertisements on TV especially for astigmatism. I'm really tired of the glasses, but too afraid to have the laser. If they could put me out, I would do it for sure, (once I saved enough money.)
Old 05-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
Mandy

Thats great, Judy. WTG girl Im sure you are so pleased you had it done
Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Angie, PM me if you want info and Janet, you too. Anyone else, I'll be more than happy to talk to you about it.

It only takes about 1/2 hour between the eye test where the surgeon maps out what he wants to do, then they put anesthetic drops in your eye and you feel absolutely nothing. The doctor does something to your eye - I didn't ask what. They leave you for a few minutes to let the anesthetic really set in. Then they put something in your eye to keep it open - you don't feel it because your eye is anesthetized. Then the doctor does his thing, and then you're done. You can have a Valium if you have a ride home. I didn't get mine, but you can bet I got it to take home! You have to wear dark glasses and they put an eye patch on until the next day when went back for a check-up. I was able to take the patch off in the morning, so I drove. There are some drops for a few days and that's it.

When I got home, I played with Max for a while, took my valium and slept for a few hours, then got up and went online, watched TV, etc. (You're not supposed to, but I was fine).

And now...no more glasses. The glasses had picked out before are really gorgeous - Bulgaria rimless for about $325.00 for the frames alone. I get money from my insurance, but still.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's great, Judy!!! My Mom and my daughter-in-law have had it done and both of them are really happy about it. I would love to have it done but just haven't convinced myself that I want it bad enough. I'm glad that you're doing so good with it.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy
Angie, PM me if you want info and Janet, you too. Anyone else, I'll be more than happy to talk to you about it.

It only takes about 1/2 hour between the eye test where the surgeon maps out what he wants to do, then they put anesthetic drops in your eye and you feel absolutely nothing. The doctor does something to your eye - I didn't ask what. They leave you for a few minutes to let the anesthetic really set in. Then they put something in your eye to keep it open - you don't feel it because your eye is anesthetized. Then the doctor does his thing, and then you're done. You can have a Valium if you have a ride home. I didn't get mine, but you can bet I got it to take home! You have to wear dark glasses and they put an eye patch on until the next day when went back for a check-up. I was able to take the patch off in the morning, so I drove. There are some drops for a few days and that's it.

When I got home, I played with Max for a while, took my valium and slept for a few hours, then got up and went online, watched TV, etc. (You're not supposed to, but I was fine).

And now...no more glasses. The glasses had picked out before are really gorgeous - Bulgaria rimless for about $325.00 for the frames alone. I get money from my insurance, but still.
That doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe I'll give my optometrist a call...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Can you still see what they are doing even though you can't feel it? And what do they hold your eye open with? I saw on the health channel some kind of contraption that I didn't think I would like used on me.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Angie,

You go girl! Maybe you can tell him your fears and he can tell you what his procedure involves. Maybe they'll let your hubby be there too.

Janet,

Yes, you can see, but the only part that bothered me was when the doctor was coming towards my eye with some instrument. I knew I wouldn't feel it, so I stayed as calm as I could. It only takes a second anyway. That's normal - we're not made to allow someone to come towards our eyes with things, but, like I said, as long as you don't panic, it only takes a second. I have no idea what they use to keep your eye open, and I don't want to know. It doesn't hurt - that's all I know. I used to like to know exactly what was being done to me. I now feel that very often, less info is best for me.

Judy