4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 01-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Tomorrow is my first day

I start my internship at the DCS tomorrow...and I'm terrified. I can't even put into words how scared I am. I really, REALLY hope I do well, that I'm good at this job, that my professors and future employers like me, and that I don't mess anything up involving clients. I don't know how I'm ever going to fall asleep tonight... AHH!

(Okay, I'll try to calm down now. Thanks for listening!)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I hope that you have a wonderful day tomorrow! Doing something for the first time is so scary, but I know that you are trained and ready!! Just remember...everybody starts somewhere Good luck...and TRY to get some sleep
Old 01-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Reba

Angie, I KNOW you're going to do a GREAT job. Just keep your head up and believe in yourself and I'm sure everything will be fine.
Plus, you couldn't have a cooler first day... both you and Obama are starting your new jobs on the same day!
Good luck, Angie.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Okay, Angie, deep breath, count to ten and exhale slowly......now, remember how well you did in school and take it easy. You're going to be wonderful in your internship!! You are a very mature caring young lady. Go out there and be your amazing self and come back and tell us all about it!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Angie, you're a very smart girl and I know that you know everything you need to know for this job. You're a very friendly girl so I have no doubts that you'll get a long with everyone! You'll do very well!!! You just have first day jitters. Good Luck!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

It's a very positive sign that you are very nervous - because you understand how important this training is, and how important the work is after you finish your schooling. That said, you will do fine, I'm sure of it. You are mature, responsible and committed to your chosen profession. I can't wait to hear all about your first day!
Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
Angie, I KNOW you're going to do a GREAT job. Just keep your head up and believe in yourself and I'm sure everything will be fine.
Plus, you couldn't have a cooler first day... both you and Obama are starting your new jobs on the same day!
Good luck, Angie.
That's cool. I never thought of it that way. Maybe it's a good sign.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I had a really great first day. I mostly spent the day reading case files to get caught up for all the court sessions I'm scheduled for this week. I've heard the judges can be really mean if you don't know EVERY single detail. Tomorrow I have a TPR case (trying to terminate parental custody so the client can be adopted by the foster parents) and then a Foster Care Review Board meeting for a different set of clients. I get to meet some of the kids for the first time tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

Some of the cases were hard to read. You guys wouldn't believe what some of these kids have been through. It breaks my heart.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 01-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles View Post
That's cool. I never thought of it that way. Maybe it's a good sign.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I had a really great first day. I mostly spent the day reading case files to get caught up for all the court sessions I'm scheduled for this week. I've heard the judges can be really mean if you don't know EVERY single detail. Tomorrow I have a TPR case (trying to terminate parental custody so the client can be adopted by the foster parents) and then a Foster Care Review Board meeting for a different set of clients. I get to meet some of the kids for the first time tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

Some of the cases were hard to read. You guys wouldn't believe what some of these kids have been through. It breaks my heart.
That's one of the reasons you will be great at your job. Your compassion for the kids, the families, whoever needs it, will bring so much to how you will do the very best for each one.

Now, you might have to find a way to leave that sadness for them at work. It is doable, but it takes practice. You can't dwell on their issues because it drains you and then you cannot do a good job. It also can take over your own life.

You'll figure it out, I'm sure. You will be one of the best!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
highlans

Some of the cases were hard to read. You guys wouldn't believe what some of these kids have been through. It breaks my heart.[/QUOTE]

My daughter is in the police and works child protection ,I cannot belive what a cruel world we live in, but it takes special people like you and my daughter to try and make some differance to there lives. xxxx
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
Tiramisu

Sounds like my DIL has the same job as you, here in Texas, except it's called something else.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

You will do wonderful, I am certain.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
AngieDoogles

My first few days have been BUSY BUSY BUSY! I've been in two different courts (both more than once), sit in on a Foster Care Review Board, been to several Child and Family Team Meetings, and also a Young Adult Team Meeting--which is for kids who turned 18 while still a foster child. The YATM is focused on helping the child adjust to independent living because they have no family ties and often haven't learned basic living skills such as budgeting and laundry. Tomorrow I'm going to another Foster Care Review Board and then to my first seminar of the semester. When will I ever have time to do homework!? lol
Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
AngieDoogles

WOW! This has been an experience! I come home either really, really happy...or really, really sad. There have been more happy days than sad ones though and I'm beginning to see that when it's been an emotional day, I need to get out of the house and do something. I definitely have to develop coping methods that will work when I have several bad days in a row, which I'm sure will happen.

I'm really enjoying working in the court system. The lawyers and social workers crack me up. Their sense of humor is so different from anything I've experienced before. The bad part is rushing to get to court on time, and then having to wait around for your case to be called because other cases are taking longer than expected. But this is also the time where the lawyers and social workers really have their fun, so it's not a big deal to hang out with them.

Today I received a forward from my skilled facilitator that I work with 2 days a month. She is basically a mediator for meetings when situations are heated. We spent our first day together on Monday and her forward was nothing but compliments about me that she had sent to my professors and all of my supervisors and both of her supervisors. It really made my day! I also got called assertive for the first time in my life which is a HUGE deal considering how incredibly shy I used to be. I'm happy that I'm fitting into my professional role so well.

Anyway, I've been busy so I haven't felt like being online very much when I'm home. I'll try to catch up with everyone this weekend. Tonight, Brendon and I are hanging out with another intern and her husband. Hope you ladies have a fun and exciting night!