4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Here we go again!

Ugh! This isn't meant to be a "political" thread, but the Canadian federal government was just toppled by the opposition, and I am not looking forward to the next month of phone calls and tv commercials about how terrible one party is compared to another party. Nothing ever seems to be positive, just taking jabs at the competition. Without a lot of research, you never hear the good about any parties, just all the negative stuff!

The election will be in May, and I guess everyone knew it would come eventually because the opposition parties have been threatening to overthrow the goverment my forming a coalition since the last election! I am so glad I don't work in politics. What a headache! According to a poll, we will probably end up with the same govermnment we have now anyway, so this whole election is just a waste in my opinion!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I hate politics too. Can't everyone just get along
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

That's what happens every four years in the U.S. It really does get tiresome to hear all the negative mudslinging.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

It happens here every 4 years too, when there's a majority government. The Conservative party was just short of getting a majority at the last election, which is why the other parties were able to topple the government this time... the NDP, Liberal, and Bloc Quebecois got together and defeated the government as a coalition. Now, we vote again. This whole thing is basically led by the Liberals who had control of parlaiment for years and years. But honestly it doesn't seem that the Liberals will win... a lot of Canadians aren't particularly happy that the Liberal leader has spent most of his time living in the USA So we may end up with another minority Conservative government, or possibly a majority Conservative government which would hold an election for another 4 years! The NDP and Bloc are pretty minor players.

A lot of the politics here are divided between Eastern Canada and Western Canada. Of course, the east holds most of the population so they do seem to usually win a bigger say, and a lot of the political parties focus on what they will do out east. Our Prime Minister now, though, is from Calgary, Alberta and in my opinion has done more for the west than other governments.

There's been a bit of a power shift in recent years and I think that's getting some people all worked up, hence the toppling of the government

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Sorry, Lindsey, that you have to deal with all of this. I don't like politics either. The sad part is that you do have to pay attention to what's going on so you can make an intelligent vote.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Sadly, I've never paid much attention to Canadian politics so I don't really know how things work. This is interesting Lindsey...keep us posted!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I know it's important to know what's going on in the political world, but I just don't like discussing it with friends. Everyone has there own opinions and arguments ensue and it just sucks to put it bluntly. There are so many subjects to talk about, but it seems political talks seem to end up nasty.

We are already having ads going on here and it really is annoying to have it in your face all the time on TV. I'm with you...the mudslinging is horrible. I hope it gets better Lindsey, but it bothers alot of people.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I know it's important to know what's going on in the political world, but I just don't like discussing it with friends. Everyone has there own opinions and arguments ensue and it just sucks to put it bluntly. There are so many subjects to talk about, but it seems political talks seem to end up nasty.

We are already having ads going on here and it really is annoying to have it in your face all the time on TV. I'm with you...the mudslinging is horrible. I hope it gets better Lindsey, but it bothers alot of people.
I'm sorry, I hope starting this thread isn't a problem I just kind of wanted to vent about how unstable things have gotten here. I know it's much different in the USA, when you have a president he's there for 4 years, love him or hate him, unless something major comes up. It's much easier to overthrow the government here if anyone is upset about anything. This government was toppled because someone didn't agree with the federal budget.

The ads have started on tv already, we've already gotten tons of propaganda junk in the mail, and this morning I noticed people already starting to put signs up in their yards about who they support. With every election, it just seems to bring more division I think!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I just didn't know a government could be toppled because of a disagreement over the federal budget. You are right.. here we just have to wait 4 years and then sorta hope for the best
Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I love watching the legislative sessions in Great Britain, they are very rowdy, and seem to tell it like it is. Maybe if we could topple governments in the U.S., things would be different here. LOL!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
I'm sorry, I hope starting this thread isn't a problem I just kind of wanted to vent about how unstable things have gotten here. I know it's much different in the USA, when you have a president he's there for 4 years, love him or hate him, unless something major comes up. It's much easier to overthrow the government here if anyone is upset about anything. This government was toppled because someone didn't agree with the federal budget.

The ads have started on tv already, we've already gotten tons of propaganda junk in the mail, and this morning I noticed people already starting to put signs up in their yards about who they support. With every election, it just seems to bring more division I think!
No problem with me.......I don't want anyone not to talk about something political or any other topic, I just don't participate. So please don't give it a second thought.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
DianaB

I agree with Janet. I don't think that we have enough Canadians to cause much of an argument with you!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Lol, I don't really want to get into which side I'm on, who I support, or anything like that, but it is just more of a rant about how it just seems so petty and it's just another headache to go through another election before an election is due But oh well, that's politics! Is it just me, or are most politicians worse than cliquey girls in high school?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
DianaB

Definitely worse than high school girls!!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Janet

I so agree.