4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 10-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

WANTED ~ Collard or Mustard Green Recipe

Hi ladies! I am looking for a recipe to cook collard or mustard greens. Do you all have any good one's?

I think there is a recipe also that becomes wilted w/ a hot bacon dressing? Id love to have that too if you've got it.

I am making fettuchini tonight w/ grilled beef Kielbasa and would like to make some greens w/ it. But....Can't seem to find a recipe that sounds real good.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Sorry, that's one recipe that I don't have, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone comes up with one.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I bet anything 2tiredmom will come up with something. I've just never met anyone who actually LOVES to cook and is so good at it. She really should be a chef!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
2tiredmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I bet anything 2tiredmom will come up with something. I've just never met anyone who actually LOVES to cook and is so good at it. She really should be a chef!!!
OK Janet, How much is that going to cost me LOL. You are really dripping with sweetness today. But then I know your sweet side and that's the side I want to stay on. Your just such a precious friend. As for the dressing for the greens all I know is vinegar and sugar. My mom use to use bacon grease but that was before I knew I could cook. But I will get my feelers out. I'm sorry that will be to late for this wonderful meal that you are preparing. I'll have to get back with you.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
2tiredmom

Bacon grease melted in the microwave and if you want to add a little more flavor,
celery seed and chopped onion.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
magnolia

My recipe - plus one more:)

I absolutely LOVE turnip greens!!! But I do the "quick" version now. Here's how I make mine:

1 package frozen turnip greens
bacon grease
chopped onions and bell peppers (I buy these in the frozen section, already chopped)
1 clove garlic
1 cup water

In cast iron skillet, put 1-2 tablespoons of bacon grease in (I have a mason jar I keep in my fridge with reserved bacon grease). Once grease melted and hot, add the onions and bell peppers (add to your taste, I never measure this out!!) and the clove of garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the frozen turnip greens and the water. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat, and cover for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat a little lower (not completely on low, between medium and low), stir, cover, and cook another 10 minutes til water is gone. YUM. My hubby and my 13 year old LOVE them cooked this way!!

And, if you love the taste of canned grean beans, got a simple recipe to give you that same taste most of us probably grew up on! Get a cast iron skillet and canned green beans (drain the liquid off). Pour the green beans in the skillet and add 1 cup water and one capful of white vinegar. Bring to a boil then simmer on low til water is cooked out - YUM!!!

"Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been"....Jimmy Buffett
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote