4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 02-29-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
HALEY

For all the working woman here !!

I thought this would be fun to see what everyone does for a living?

I am a Penndot Certified Aggregate Technician, for a slag/Anti-skid/scrap company i do testing on all the material at my site. Gradations/FE testing/expansions/moistures/washes., etc.
It's ok pay wise, would like to move on and work for Penndot one day, but with a small child at home i don't want to travel right now.
Being working here for 10 years, love to be outside (except in the winter time)
Also like wearing jeans and my husband Harley shirts to work and nobody cares, don't care for the steel toe boots. But I love my hours 6:30 am - 3:00 pm.. im up early anyways with the baby. But somedays i really miss him...
One nice thing is that i'm only 7 miles away from home, i have a company truck so i save alot there, and we also get a sales bonus which is nice sometimes to pay for extra's or just put into savings..
Then when i get home i'm a full time mom and wife... he he
so come on all the working women lets see what do you do for a living.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I work for a geotechnical engineering consulting firm. It's a mouthful, and so is my job title of civil engineering technologist I'm a certified concrete tester, as well as testing soils and aggregates and asphalt much like Haley up there! I did this work as a civil technician, and then returned to school for another year so I now also have the ability to design roads, foundations, concrete and asphalt mix designs, etc. But I spend most of my time now in front of a computer drafting When an engineer is too busy I help out by calculating road curves and things like that, and with my drafting I make 3d models of projects on my computer to figure out material quantities and cost estimates.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Tiramisu

I've been a Secretary/Administrative Assistant/Office Manager for almost 40 years. I've been at ExxonMobil for 4 years working in a projects group.

Lindsey, my hubby is a Civil Engineer, working 30 years for Brown & Root (KBR/Halliburton), designing and building many offshore oil platforms. He's with FMC Technologies now overseeing their Structural Department.

My kids: Oldest daughter has a BS and is a High School Science Teacher (hubby is an IT Manager). Son has a Kinesology Degree, but is working in Iraq (teaching carpentry to the locals) (wife has a degree in Criminology and is a Kindergarten Teacher). Middle daughter has a Teaching Degree and is a 5th grade Math Teacher (single). Youngest daughter has a Marketing Degree and stays at home (hubby works in Real Estate).
Old 02-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
So far you three have very impressive positions.

I drive a school bus for grades Kindergarten through 12th. I like the hours really well, 90 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes in the afternoon. The insurance is fantastic.

I use to be an administrative assistant for the SWCD (Soil & Water Conservation District) in our county. Before that I was a factory worker at Frito Lay and before that I managed different departments in a retail store.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I'm a student. Maybe one of these days I'll have a real job. LOL
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Jess36

I work as a CNA part-time in a Nursing home. Help the residents get washed, dressed, go to the bathroom, eat, walk and anything else you could think of! At night, I am at school working on getting my nursing degree. All my weekday mornings and afternoons are spent at home with my daughter.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
So far you three have very impressive positions.

I drive a school bus for grades Kindergarten through 12th. I like the hours really well, 90 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes in the afternoon. The insurance is fantastic.

I use to be an administrative assistant for the SWCD (Soil & Water Conservation District) in our county. Before that I was a factory worker at Frito Lay and before that I managed different departments in a retail store.
Janet i am impressed with you, you must have alot of patients, i could never do your job, they would have fired me. i am a very hyper person. i can't still still for to long... and i have no patience. learning patience with a child now, learning to count from 1-10 he he
Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm an undercover spy for the CIA. I would tell you about some of our operations but they're top secret. Actually, I'm not allowed to talk about my job at all but we have many things taking place overseas--------Just kidding!!! I bet that I had ya' goin' didn't I? I'm really just a stay-at-home mom who helps her husband out by driving the tractor and combine once in a while!!!! Mostly, I'm just home!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

I kinda covered this in another thread, but I'm a mechanical engineer working in industrial sales. (Tiramisu, one of my customers is FMC Technologies. Small world. Someone else in our company calls on ExxonMobile. Actually your contract is with one of our nasty competitors. ) I sell valves mostly to petrochemical and power plants in South Texas. I'm sales manager at a small branch with inventory and sales personnel and spend a lot of time on the road, but seldom ever overnight. We are extremely busy at the moment, setting sales records for our branch. Which is wonderful since part of my compensation, as I've said before, is commission based. Like Haley and Lindsey, I work in a man's world and enjoy the challenges. It can be a cut-throat business. My hubby says he could not deal with the level of competition that I do, and with the amount of rejection that sometimes is just part of the game.

Hubby is a successful custom home builder & has plenty of challenges of his own.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALEY
Janet i am impressed with you, you must have alot of patients, i could never do your job, they would have fired me. i am a very hyper person. i can't still still for to long... and i have no patience. learning patience with a child now, learning to count from 1-10 he he
Thanks Haley!! There are moments when I think it's time to change jobs, but I really do enjoy the kids for the most part. There are a few that I would like to lose along the way...LOL...but it's really not bad at all.

The hours can't be beat and like I said the insurance is great, plus...I have summers off...yay!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB
I'm an undercover spy for the CIA. I would tell you about some of our operations but they're top secret. Actually, I'm not allowed to talk about my job at all but we have many things taking place overseas--------Just kidding!!! I bet that I had ya' goin' didn't I? I'm really just a stay-at-home mom who helps her husband out by driving the tractor and combine once in a while!!!! Mostly, I'm just home!!!

You are hilarious!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
pearl

i'm an RN. i do homecare now, going around all day doing home visits taking care of wounds, surgeries, pneumonia, emphysema, cancer, diabetes, strokes, train wrecks, cancer, and everything else.
i've worked in nursing homes, hospitals, a clinic, you name it the last 30 years. kids to old folks.
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #13
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl
i'm an RN. i do homecare now, going around all day doing home visits taking care of wounds, surgeries, pneumonia, emphysema, cancer, diabetes, strokes, train wrecks, cancer, and everything else.
i've worked in nursing homes, hospitals, a clinic, you name it the last 30 years. kids to old folks.
Wow, what a life of service, Pearl. I could never do your job, but do envy the people who can, just a bit.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #14
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
You are hilarious!!!
I just had to throw that in there. Ya' know when you've been a housewife for your whole life it sounds so boring so, just for once, I wanted to sound exciting!! It worked for about a second and a half!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn
I could never do your job, but do envy the people who can, just a bit.
it's been good to me. there's not much i haven't seen in life because of it.
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote