4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

What a day!!!!

Yesterday was the worst and best day of my life.

Yesterday I was 14 weeks and 1 day pregnant, and I had some light spotting when I woke up, so I went to my family doctor. She told me to go straight to emergency. So I picked up Scott and we went to emergency. As usual, it was busy, because too many people use emergency as their regular doctor So we got there at 11:30. I waited in a waiting room until 3:00 when I had blood taken. They told me it would be an hour and a half for results, so I'd see a doctor after that. I got a bed and a room at 6:00. I changed into a hospital gown, and waited.

Around 7:00, the emergency doctor came in. She did an internal exam and told me there was a mass on my cervix. She asked if I normally have that. I said no. She said then, the best she can assume is that it's my cervix opening and I am beginning to miscarry. OMG I did NOT expect that. I burst out in tears. Scott was strong for me the whole time but I couldn't stop crying. The doctor said she was calling down a gynecologist to take another look. In the meantime, she wanted me hooked to an IV. So I got my very first IV, and waited for the gynecologist. She came down after about an hour, and did another exam. By this time I was gushing blood. I was barely spotting in the morning, and nothing all afternoon, but now I could feel it pouring out. I just kept crying. The gynecologist said my cervix was closed, but my uterus is prolapsed, meaning my muscles aren't holding it up in my body cavity and it's descending downwards. I asked if that could be normal, and she said no. I was still crying. She tried to find a heartbeat on Doppler, because it should be easy at 14 weeks, but there was no heartbeat.

I cried and cried and cried. I told myself I had to accept it. Scott and I just sat there together and tried to make sense of everything. Two doctors just said I'd likely be miscarrying, and I just had to wait for an ultrasound to confirm the baby wasn't alive. The radiology department was busy so I had to wait and wait. My eyes were so red and puffy, I could barely keep them open. I was trying to think of ways to "untell" everyone we told about the pregnancy, and how would I face our room full of baby stuff and know it was done?

Finally, a man came to wheel my bed to radiology. I went straight into the room and met the tech. I was still crying. She started the ultrasound and IMMEDIATELY there was my baby, kicking and waving and doing somersaults!!!! It was SO active! At one point, it flipped over and we saw its cute little butt! It had a strong healthy heartbeat of 161, and it measured 15 weeks 1 day (it should have been 14 weeks, 1 day) so it is growing at what I call "Scott rate"!!!! It was the most amazing thing to see! I was crying happy tears!!!!

The doctors weren't able to tell me why I was bleeding, but I am seeing my obstetrician today and hopefully she can give me some answers. I'm worried that my trip to New Orleans next week might be an issue, and my coworkers are telling me she'll likely put me on bed rest because of the prolapsed uterus. I'm so worried about all of that. I am so happy that my baby is okay but so worried about what's happening to me.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote