4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Sad about Jessie's puppies

Two of Jessie's dogs had litters in the past three weeks. It has been one thing after another for Jessie and the family. First, as I had posted, Oreo was killed by one of the mothers. Now, the other dam, Diva, has lost 4 puppies to "fading puppy syndrome." There aren 4 left, but they are very weak. Jessie has been taking care ofn them 24/7. She called me yesterday wondering if she was doing the right thing keeping them alive. They are very frail, and almost skeletal. I can't give advice on that, but I feel so bad for her. She even tried to put a pillow over one of them to put it out, but it struggled, and she was crushed that she had done that to a living thing. She doesn't know if it is fair to keep them alive if they are suffering. Steve is religious, and feels that it is in God's hands. I think that it is wonderful to be so certain and to have such faith. I have put animals to sleep when I felt that they were suffering too much. I also never wanted Jessie to come home from school to a cat who had passed. One of Princess' pups died also, but it was the runt, and just not thriving well. Her others are strong and healthy.

I have not been over there. I must apologize to her, again. I just cannot see those poor little pups. She knows how I am, and is not telling me all of what they are going through. I feel guilty, but am not strong like that. I did tell her that I would come if she needed me though.

Poor Jessie. She told me yesterday she would love to just come over here and put her head in my lap and cry.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
paula1961

Oh Judy that is just awful that Jessie's pups are sick! I'm like you, I wouldn't want to go over there either. Just too sad! Bless their little hearts. I remember you telling us about what happened to Oreo, Jessie must be just devastated over all of this. I will keep her in my prayers Judy. I know she must be going through alot.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Are the puppies nursing? Is Jessie supplementing? How is the mother of the puppies, plenty of milk? I know lots of questions.... There is something called DoPram V (Doxapram) that I think you can get at a Vet to help fading babies. Also....Nutidrops on their gums can sometimes help.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I did go over to Jessie's house after all. I went to my writers' luncheon, and then drove over there. I told her I just came to give her an hug. She was so glad! I saw the healthy puppies. They are too cute, eyes open, and just beginning to walk at 3 weeks.

Then I went to see the sick little pups. Two of them now look good. Jessie said that they had all gained weight today, and 2 of them had red tongues, and were plumping out. One little white one is still thin, with a pink tongue, and the other is improving. Jess said that you can tell by the color of their tongues. Red is good. I am praying for the little white one. They are all nursing, which they weren't strong enough to do before. She is also supplementing with an eye dropper.

Thanks for the advice Janet. I will tell her.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Shada

So sad. I hope the puppies make it. Sounds like Jessie is trying very hard.
I have never heard of this before.. is it a common thing with litters?
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I know nothing about having puppies - but I know I would have a really hard time with struggling puppies - I'm a big weenie with suffering animals.

I'm glad you went over there, but gladder the pups were doing better!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

There is nothing like a hug from your mother to make a girl feel better! I'm glad you went to see her, and I'm so glad some of the puppies are doing better.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Janet

I'm glad the puppies are doing better. They must have a strong will to survive.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

How heartbreaking for Jessie. Of course she needed a hug from her Mother!!! I'm glad to hear that some of the pups are doing better. Hopefully the last one will start feeding better. Give Jessie a hug from me too!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks for your good wishes! The puppies are doing better!!! The vet said at 3 weeks, if they survive, they should be fine. I think they have a few days to go.

Janet, she is supplementing with goat's milk by dropper. The vet told her she can't give them nutrical, or even glucose water yet. I don't know why, but the goat's milk is protein and that's what they need right now he said. She said thanks for the suggestions!

So, hopefully, they will get stronger and thrive well!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
Janet

Goats milk is good. The Vet is right...you can't give them Nutrical, but you can give them Nutridrops on their gums (at least Yorkie puppies you can). I'm so glad they are doing better.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

So sorry that she is going through all of this, but so glad that you were able to go and encourage her and that the puppies are doing better. Hope they all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Goats milk is good. The Vet is right...you can't give them Nutrical, but you can give them Nutridrops on their gums (at least Yorkie puppies you can). I'm so glad they are doing better.
I just googled nutridrops. Wow! I will tell her about them, and she can ask her vet. Do you use them for your mature dogs? Max gets very sluggish in the heat, and he has allergies. Would a drop of this do him any good?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
flantee09

Sad about Jessies puppies

The best thing about children are when they turn aroung and hug you and say I love you too Mom.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #15
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
I just googled nutridrops. Wow! I will tell her about them, and she can ask her vet. Do you use them for your mature dogs? Max gets very sluggish in the heat, and he has allergies. Would a drop of this do him any good?
I'm not sure about giving it to mature dogs, so I wouldn't want to say. The Vet would be able to give the best advice on that.